Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything about the SCCA involves dragging of feet ;)

Has anyone tried to fit 285/35/19 RE71RS yet? Looking at tirerack it looks like they're 26.9" tall and 11.4" wide. I currently have 265/35/19 RT660's which are 10.9" wide and need a 5mm spacer to give me comfortable space to the upright on my 19x10 +35's.
285/35-19? That is going to be super close to the ball joint.

Here are my 275/35-19 re71rs, which have ~7mm clearance:
20230424_094243.jpg

I'd be more concerned with the fender clearance on full compression+turning with a taller tire, unless you run >3.5 degrees of front camber.
Having done the extra work to fit 305/30-19 rubber (26.2 diameter) on my previous car, I'm kinda thinking I'd rather get a shorter tire next time.

Has anyone tried to fit 285/35/19 RE71RS yet? Looking at tirerack it looks like they're 26.9" tall and 11.4" wide. I currently have 265/35/19 RT660's which are 10.9" wide and need a 5mm spacer to give me comfortable space to the upright on my 19x10 +35's.
My 275s are maybe 12mm laterally from the knuckles, but I am running +22 offset wheels and have another 5mm of “spacer” with my aftermarket rotors.

That said, I have to run 3+ degrees of front camber to not rub the fenders on bumps while turning, even at only about a 1” drop.

By my math the 285/35R19 should fit with a 13-14mm spacer (using extended lug nuts, if your wheels allow) on your +35 wheels. Of course, YMMV…

Indeed, 275/35R19 is pretty proven to fit and quite a bit easier.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher

So, I have a few friends on the SEB and SAC... After multiple conversations with multiple people, the general consensus from anyone that is remotely intelligent, it is UNANIMOUSLY agreed from SCCA brass that the Tesla (and other EV's) do NOT belong in SS.

BUT, it will not be moved. Not at least anytime soon. Basically, the majority of the SCCA membership is against it. There have been a LOT of letters against the Tesla and EV's in general, basically for every 1 letter that is sent in support, there are 5 letters against EV's. So, it seems that the haters are currently winning this one. Sad. :(

I have been in discussions about a "indexed" Street class for EV's. If they lump all of us together in a pax'd class in street, I would be ok with that. For instance, the model 3 performance, which imho would be the best EV to solo would be the highest pax. The Long range would be slightly less, and the rwd even less so. Sprinkle in a HS pax for the Mustang mach E and the Kia Niro and we will all be happy. right? RIGHT?!? :p I am hoping to do this locally as a trial run, providing we can come up with some sort of parity.

Reactions: M3Pdude
So, I have a few friends on the SEB and SAC... After multiple conversations with multiple people, the general consensus from anyone that is remotely intelligent, it is UNANIMOUSLY agreed from SCCA brass that the Tesla (and other EV's) do NOT belong in SS.

BUT, it will not be moved. Not at least anytime soon. Basically, the majority of the SCCA membership is against it. There have been a LOT of letters against the Tesla and EV's in general, basically for every 1 letter that is sent in support, there are 5 letters against EV's. So, it seems that the haters are currently winning this one. Sad. :(

I have been in discussions about a "indexed" Street class for EV's. If they lump all of us together in a pax'd class in street, I would be ok with that. For instance, the model 3 performance, which imho would be the best EV to solo would be the highest pax. The Long range would be slightly less, and the rwd even less so. Sprinkle in a HS pax for the Mustang mach E and the Kia Niro and we will all be happy. right? RIGHT?!? :p I am hoping to do this locally as a trial run, providing we can come up with some sort of parity.
And my 4 year boycott against giving the SCCA a dime continues ;)

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun

Do you know that the haters' reasons for being against EVs is?

10-15 years from now autocross will be majority EVs, and there'll be good reason to be an ICE hater.

10-15 years from now autocross will be majority EVs, and there'll be good reason to be an ICE hater.
That's just on possible future. So many things can change.

My hunch is that if haters win this one, they won't stop and implement a set of humiliating extra rules for EVs, like those in the December proposal. There was a comment on the latter in the April Fastrack, which I assume was from @gearchruncher ...

I see there's brave souls in Model 3's registered for SS and SSP at Lincoln "spring nats." Should be interesting how they compare in class and to EVX. I'm going on "real" autocross tires this time. Hopefully, I can get an event or two that isn't 35f and raining between now and then.

There was a comment on the latter in the April Fastrack, which I assume was from @gearchruncher ...
Are you talking about letter #33702 in fasttrack? That wasn't me, although I did send them a letter about the EV rules as well, but they never seem to have acknowledged it anywhere. All I got was a comment on my submission for SS->B classing of "thank you for your letter" like everyone else so far.