Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automated Car wash - yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and No, depending on the type of person you are:

Absolutely OK, if you are not too particular/OCD about the finish/look of your vehicle. These automatic car washes are notorious for introducing some very minor micro-marring/scratches to the clear coat. Even the “touchless” car washes are not considered 100% safe on the vehicle‘s finish by detailing pros and enthusiasts.
Fortunately, any light/minor damage to the surface finish can easily be removed/corrected with a light polishing/buffing.

Absolutely no way to automatic car washes, if you are particular/OCD about your vehicle’s finish… like me!

The problem with automatic car washes is that the materials that make contact with the car's paint are not changed after each wash. So dirt and particles removed from previous cars that went through the wash are now being rubbed into your car's clear coat. That is why you get so many scratches and swirls in your paint. Instead of cleaning like a sponge, they scratch like fine sandpaper.

And the problem with touchless car washes is that although they do not touch your paint, most of the time they use car soaps that are high pH. They have to use high pH soaps to compensate for the lowered cleaning ability of not making contact with the paint. High pH soaps can degrade or even completely remove car waxes and sealants. Also, some Model Y owners have complained that touchless car washes caused their trim to take on an ugly rainbow look. It turns out that the Model Y trim is made of anodized aluminum, which should always be cleaned with a pH neutral soap as high pH soaps damage the finish.

If you don't care that much about your paint, then it is very convenient to use an automatic car wash. But if potential scratches and swirls bother you, it is best to wash your car yourself. You can do a rinseless wash using something like ONR in about 20 minutes.

It's lookin' like a "whole lotta nay" and I must agree. I put this new car in the same category as my Corvette. It never went through the automatic was, not just because it was too low and wheels too wide, but because I did not want the paint to be micro scratched.

THANK YOU all for your wise counsel.

I've used a auto car wash with the belt driven thing that moves you forward. Never been an issue, but I've heard of stories of peoples misfortunes. I just put it in neutral, lock the doors, and turn off wipers. I fold in the mirrors until I'm going through the last rinse and I unfold then... It's turned into a process. lol

Reactions: Soul Surfer
I drive through touchless washes under the following circumstances:
  1. Post-Rain or long trip that resulted in a layer of dirt caked onto parts of the car.
  2. Followed by waterless wash/wax/sealant applied by myself.
Basically I only use it as a heavy pre-wash rinse when needed, but I still finish the detail myself. I do not recommend driving through an automated wash as your sole washing method for the reasons already mentioned.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
You’re asking the wrong question. The question to ask is “do I hate myself?” If you answered “no”, don’t take your car through an automatic car wash. Alternatively, if you answered “yes”, seek help! Oh, and still don’t take your car through an automatic car wash.

It's interesting that some folks are discussing automatic ones that physically touch your car (which I've never used, and wouldn't) and some are discussing the automatic ones that don't (which I do use, esp since I've got PPF anyway so it's a great lazy way to rinse the film off)

I've used a auto car wash with the belt driven thing that moves you forward. Never been an issue, but I've heard of stories of peoples misfortunes. I just put it in neutral, lock the doors, and turn off wipers. I fold in the mirrors until I'm going through the last rinse and I unfold then... It's turned into a process. lol
I used carwash mode for the first time today. It does all of your items plus more. Very cool!

I love the local Costco automated car wash. $8 for a wash that is better than an upgraded $30 wash from anywhere else.

However, I am concerned about the wheels getting curb rash on the railings that guide your tires. Anyone know if they are rubber or metal on rim?

I love the local Costco automated car wash. $8 for a wash that is better than an upgraded $30 wash from anywhere else.

However, I am concerned about the wheels getting curb rash on the railings that guide your tires. Anyone know if they are rubber or metal on rim?
Plastic on interior rail of Costco (Hanna car wash hardware). I apply a very slight right steering pressure to hug the left rail while going through. No damage so far to either side of rims.

Keeps my car clean with no clear coat damage - Never had an issue with my previous Prius or Legend before that - no reason not to continue using Costco car wash with my M3. Use car wash mode (car must be stopped to enable - fold mirrors) and practice putting car in Neutral.

• Informative
Reactions: Manbutter and KenC
Plastic on interior rail of Costco (Hanna car wash hardware). I apply a very slight right steering pressure to hug the left rail while going through. No damage so far to either side of rims.

Keeps my car clean with no clear coat damage - Never had an issue with my previous Prius or Legend before that - no reason not to continue using Costco car wash with my M3. Use car wash mode (car must be stopped to enable - fold mirrors) and practice putting car in Neutral.
Thanks, that’s really good to know especially tip about the slight steering and the plastic railing. Do you have 18, 19, or 20” rims? I’ve never had such low profile tires before and for my older cars, I think it was always rubber on plastic railing friction for me so not a big concern. My 20” Induction rims seem to stick out further than even the rubber.

Last edited:
Thanks, that’s really good to know especially tip about the slight steering and the plastic railing. Do you have 18, 19, or 20” rims? I’ve never had such low profile tires before and for my older cars, I think it was always rubber on plastic railing friction for me so not a big concern. My 20” Induction rims seem to stick out further than even the rubber.

18 inch aero wheels (first comment should have said hug right rail) the aero covers would get damaged by car wash rail as they do stick out from the tire. I would imagine larger induction rims pose the same risk - but much more expensive to repair if damaged.