TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Automatic car wash is safe on the 22" wheels

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dkim12, Feb 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dkim12

dkim12 Member

OK I know but it's a lease so I'm not going to hand wash this huge SUV everyday after a rain shower. I decided to try the automated car wash to see what they use to protect the front side of the wheels. There's a rubber guard on the side of the track so I decided I'd try it. Came out no scratches on the lip of the 22s and inside lip looked good from what I could see bending over. I got the unlimited wash plan to keep to black beauty clean. Swirl marks won't bother me as it is a lease...Gotta keep telling myself that.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  2. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

You're such a daredevil. Love it.

• Funny x 1
  3. dkim12

dkim12 Member

Some people call me a pioneer but I prefer superstar.

4. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Jeez! At least go touchless automatic!

I can't fathom that kind of service at a car wash around here. Labor is so expensive here to get that kind of wash is $40.

I still bucket wash even on a lease... just can't do the brush washes anymore. You're a stronger person than I am ;)

5. dkim12

dkim12 Member

I have 3 black cars. It takes me an hour each car to wash by hand and clean the interior. 2 are leases, and 1 I own. The 1 I own get pampered whiles the 2 others go through the tunnel. Can't beat $36 for the unlimited wash and vacuum. I told the cashier I will be there every day. I was worried about the wheels, but I didn't see any scratches, so yay!

6. retinaguy

retinaguy Member

I was just going to ask if automated car washes are safe on the body work but I guess the answer is yes!

7. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

I had a Model S P85 for 3.5 years. A black one. I only hand washed it and it was a pain as I washed and washed it. In fact, in 25 years of owning cars, I've only had black cars as I think they look the best clean. But when I bought my Model X back in August I decided to go with white and really happy with the decision. I would have NEVER thought about going through an automatic carwash with my black Tesla. But I go all the time now with the white one and it's perfectly fine. You can't see any swirl marks at all.

It's funny the first time I went through the car wash (attended) with the X as the guys never saw a Model X before so they were asking about it. Doesn't seem like many people with Tesla's go through carwashes. LOL.