Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic door unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Not looking forward to having to pull the handle on the Model 3 every time I want to get in. I know it's considered a manual door lock to save money, but if I go to unlock the door from the inside with the button the door pops open. Surely this could be done from the phone as well, no?

-Randy

The phone unlocks the door so you can open it, that's the same way any key fob from any other car works. If you wanted to be able to actually open the door using the phone I assume it would have to integrated into the app so that you'd need to pull out your phone, open the app, go to the door open control, and tap it. Seems like just manually opening the door would be faster and easier.

Not looking forward to having to pull the handle on the Model 3 every time I want to get in. I know it's considered a manual door lock to save money, but if I go to unlock the door from the inside with the button the door pops open. Surely this could be done from the phone as well, no?

-Randy

Your not unlocking the door by pushing the armrest button. Your opening it. Same as when you push on the outer hockey stick. You can lock and unlock from the app. Not open the door.

You'd still need to push/pull the door open (based on whether you're inside/outside) when you unlock via button. My understanding is that the current button inside the car only props the door open a slight bit. It isn't some sort of hydraulic hinge that auto opens like falcon wing doors on the X. so if you're gonna have to pull the door open anyway, you need something to grab onto.

Maybe they do this on the S later on -- but at this price point, I can't see the M3 getting it any time soon.

-Randy

I don't see any technical reason why the app couldn't pop open the door instead of just unlocking it, but as pointed out above it seems like it would take more time and effort to open the app then to just pull on the handle. There could also be a setting that pops open the drivers door when you approach with the phone. I have my doubts that Tesla would actually ever implement it since they have no automatic way of shutting and locking it once its been opened.

-Randy

You will have to grasp the handle regardless of whether the door "pops" open slightly... or were you thinking you would grasp the 1 inch gap of the door with your bare hand and then open it?

Seems like you are looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I don't see any technical reason why the app couldn't pop open the door instead of just unlocking it, but as pointed out above it seems like it would take more time and effort to open the app then to just pull on the handle. There could also be a setting that pops open the drivers door when you approach with the phone. I have my doubts that Tesla would actually ever implement it since they have no automatic way of shutting and locking it once its been opened.
because the little pop is happening because of the door seals pushing the door out when you unlock, not from any actuator pushing it.
Thats a pretty big technical reason why it won't open all the way. :)

because the little pop is happening because of the door seals pushing the door out when you unlock, not from any actuator pushing it.
Thats a pretty big technical reason why it won't open all the way. :)
No one said anything about it opening all the way. The OP just asked if the app could be updated to pop the door open - the same thing that happens when you push the button on the inside of the door. As far as I know there's no technical reason that would prevent it.

What if your car is pointed downhill and you unlock it from your phone so the door pops open? Does the door swing wide open and possibly hit the car next to it?

Unlocking does not pop the door open. The OP just wished it would.

You brought up another reason that it popping open when you aren’t in the car to control it’s motion is a terrible idea.