Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX had two warnings this morning, one of which was Automatic Emergency Braking disabled. I've read that Tesla was doing this on some nearly new MXs. However, mine is a September 2016 build. This also appears to have disabled the Hold brake feature.

My vehicle did NOT receive a software update and in fact seems well past due one. (version 2017.32.3 ca28227).

Anyone else experiencing this? Trying to decide if I need to contact Tesla about this or if a new update will take care of it?

Thanks!

Reactions: RichardKNL71
If this was an actual alert, and not the standard AEB disabled in the settings (which is what it sounds like, an alert), definitely call.

You aren't supposed to have alerts, you are supposed to not have AEB on AP2.5 cars until a recent firmware (17.40?). But not a popup alert.

Reactions: chillaban
If this was an actual alert, and not the standard AEB disabled in the settings (which is what it sounds like, an alert), definitely call.

You aren't supposed to have alerts, you are supposed to not have AEB on AP2.5 cars until a recent firmware (17.40?). But not a popup alert.
Precisely. A pop up alert indicates a system fault, not AP2.5 “shadow mode”. If it’s also affecting brake hill hold then it sounds like it is likely related to the iBooster

Thanks all! I have it in the Dallas service center this morning.

Curiously, this morning I received a notice about an available update. I guess these things are coincidental and not related, but, either way, I'll report back what the SC says.

And...yes, it was a pop up warning.

Thanks all! I have it in the Dallas service center this morning.

Curiously, this morning I received a notice about an available update. I guess these things are coincidental and not related, but, either way, I'll report back what the SC says.

And...yes, it was a pop up warning.

Yes, July 2017. I recall the published 0-60 time as 6.1s on my X when I was inquiring about its performance. Not sure what data source to use in order to confirm either way at this point.

The SC will almost always update software if your car is there. You’ll still get the notification though, even if they are triggering it. I bet this will resolve the issues - you were definitely on an old build!

Right, cars in the SC on a work order seem to get firmware ‘preferentially’. Do we know if that’s because they are manually pushed software or do cars on the work order list/on SC wifi automatically get priority?

Seems like a good automatic way to update cars that are in for something else without wasting tech hours, download an update automatically!

I pick up the car today. The text notification said the AEB disabled error message happened because of an "odd sequence of events that occurred when entering the vehicle. It appears that using the brake pedal as leverage to adjust position in the seat caused the car to enter and then leave drive mode rapidly. There is no need for repair at this time." That is a rather bizarre thing if true. I know I don't do that when getting in the car, but I do tap the brake to take advantage of the automatic door closure while I'm getting in. The wife drives the car occasionally, so maybe her? Still, that seems like correlation not causation explanation to me. Why would adjusting how you are sitting in the seat while having a foot on the brake pedal deactivate AEB?

At any rate, I did advance to build 2017.42.a88c8d5. Hopefully, that will not have AEB deactivated by seat butt wiggles!

Huh.... this sorta sounds like some of the alerts on 17.42 for AP2.5... Did they recommend anything you should have done to try and fix it yourself? Like reboot a screen? Power the car off and on? Those both sometimes reset alarms that aren't really indicating anything broken. If you get an alert that doesn't go away and you can't drive the car, I'd try both of those before giving up the car for days.

To be honest with you, they seemed really confused about the error message. They said the "odd series of events" -apparently meaning having a foot on the brake while getting adjusted in the seat confused the system. Their entire recommendation was "get fully adjusted in your seat prior to putting your foot on the brake to close the door." That's pretty strange that a foot on the brake could do that, but, ok, I'll play and see what happens. No one mentioned trying to do a power on/off, but, I didn't see your post in time to ask them that specifically either.

I did hear one other thing as I was advised to replace the front tires due to wear on the outside of the tires at only 16K miles. The service guy said air suspension cars are notoriously hard on tires. He cited a VW Toureg as an example of another car that did this at his prior employer. He said 18-20k miles is about as good as you can expect on a Model X if you drive at a lot of highway speeds (partly because you can't rotate the X tires). The automatic lowering of the vehicle changes the camber and that results in uneven tire wear. I probably am about 2/3 highway driving. He said that doing an alignment at about 7500 miles would possibly help, or any time you hit a curb or bad pot holes. But, he was resigned to the fact that the nature of the air suspension was such that you could expect rapid tire wear no matter what you do.

Ours did that too. We were driving, stopped and message came up. Wife went shopping and I was on phone to tech,had me restart screen a bunch, then cold start car. Message came back, told me to make appointment with sc. wife came back and message was gone!! Hasn’t been back so
never took to sc.

My MS did the same this morning, although while driving. Just as I was coming up to a roundabout the message pops up saying AEB is unavailable (or disabled possibly). Then when on the motorway I tried to activate autopilot i got messages stating that cruise control and autostear are also unavailable (probably due to the AEB fault message). I pulled into nearest motorway service station (that happened to have 12 super charger bays), plugged in and grabbed a coffee. When I returned the message was there for a few seconds then cleared. Never came back.

Called Support just to make sure and they are going to get the logs over to the service centre to see if they can work out why I got the message.

One theory: I may have accidently got over 90mph just before the message popped up. From what I understand a number of the features stop working over 90mph, but I assume that they would be reinstated as soon as the car drops below 90 again. Could it be that these faults are latched until the car is stopped/turned off? I only got the car last week so I’m still learning the features... The manual meantions the 90mph thing, but does not say anything about latching the fault.

Ran into same issue today. My car was in service for 3 weeks (for unrelated issues), and finally picked it up this morning. Unfortunately ran into this issue today, twice so far.

All 3 alerts keep looping
- stability control disabled
- regenerative braking disabled
- automatic emergency braking disabled

Autopilot or cruise control don't work as well.

The first time it happened, it disappeared after I came back to the car after 30 mins in parking.

The alerts came back about 90 mins later when I was in AP on freeway. I called SC from a parking lot. Tried power-off/wait for 2 mins, on call with a technician, that didn't help. We decided to return car to SC. I tried another power-off on my own and that seed to make the alerts go away. Am reluctant to give back to SC. Will speak with them tomorrow if they can look at the logs remotely and advise.

Attachments

• IMG_20171113_191858.jpg
    IMG_20171113_191858.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 486
My MS did the same this morning, although while driving. Just as I was coming up to a roundabout the message pops up saying AEB is unavailable (or disabled possibly). Then when on the motorway I tried to activate autopilot i got messages stating that cruise control and autostear are also unavailable (probably due to the AEB fault message). I pulled into nearest motorway service station (that happened to have 12 super charger bays), plugged in and grabbed a coffee. When I returned the message was there for a few seconds then cleared. Never came back.

Called Support just to make sure and they are going to get the logs over to the service centre to see if they can work out why I got the message.

One theory: I may have accidently got over 90mph just before the message popped up. From what I understand a number of the features stop working over 90mph, but I assume that they would be reinstated as soon as the car drops below 90 again. Could it be that these faults are latched until the car is stopped/turned off? I only got the car last week so I’m still learning the features... The manual meantions the 90mph thing, but does not say anything about latching the fault.

Did the alerts come back for you? Did SC report back anything interesting based on the logs?

Did the alerts come back for you? Did SC report back anything interesting based on the logs?

The messages have never come back. The car is going in to the SC soon to get the headlights swapped (it came with the wrong ones like a lot of people) and some other little niggles; they said they will check the car out then to see if there is any reason for the error messages.
I'll report back once I know. It might be a while as we are waiting for the headlights to come in (expected Friday).

I got these errors once, right after triggering an "odd sequence of events" of my own: I did a Summon, then stopped the summon by pressing on the keyfob, then double-tapped to open the door, got in, levered to D, and started driving, without giving the car much of a chance to catch its breath between steps. The power brake felt fine and the problem went away by itself, hasn't happened since.

IMG_4361.jpg

I got these errors once, right after triggering an "odd sequence of events" of my own: I did a Summon, then stopped the summon by pressing on the keyfob, then double-tapped to open the door, got in, levered to D, and started driving, without giving the car much of a chance to catch its breath between steps. The power brake felt fine and the problem went away by itself, hasn't happened since.

View attachment 267496
I also got both of these errors today. I had just started driving up a somewhat steep driveway (nothing crazy, but not flat), when the car made a strange groaning noise. I backed out of the driveway and parked on the street. When I got back in the car about 30 minutes later, I had both of these messages and autopilot will not work. I called Tesla Support and they told me that my local SC will be in touch within 48 hours (not the answer I was hoping for).

To be honest with you, they seemed really confused about the error message. They said the "odd series of events" -apparently meaning having a foot on the brake while getting adjusted in the seat confused the system. Their entire recommendation was "get fully adjusted in your seat prior to putting your foot on the brake to close the door." That's pretty strange that a foot on the brake could do that, but, ok, I'll play and see what happens. No one mentioned trying to do a power on/off, but, I didn't see your post in time to ask them that specifically either.

I did hear one other thing as I was advised to replace the front tires due to wear on the outside of the tires at only 16K miles. The service guy said air suspension cars are notoriously hard on tires. He cited a VW Toureg as an example of another car that did this at his prior employer. He said 18-20k miles is about as good as you can expect on a Model X if you drive at a lot of highway speeds (partly because you can't rotate the X tires). The automatic lowering of the vehicle changes the camber and that results in uneven tire wear. I probably am about 2/3 highway driving. He said that doing an alignment at about 7500 miles would possibly help, or any time you hit a curb or bad pot holes. But, he was resigned to the fact that the nature of the air suspension was such that you could expect rapid tire wear no matter what you do.

I had the same error messages, but I had 6 total (Park assist, AEB, ABS, regen, stability control, traction control). They all popped up about 30s after power up after hitting a small puddle. The lead tech named Rip said he saw the same thing a few weeks ago and must have been referring to your car (I'm also in Dallas). What was the final diagnosis? Mine is still in the shop at Cedar Springs. Thanks!

I had what I can only assume is the same problem in my 1 day old MS :( my brakes would also pulse like the ABS was constantly kicking in the moment I touched the brake pedal. Luckily I was only a few mins from the SC and drove there but they couldn't get it fixed while I waited so I left in a loaner 100D. I hope they can get it fixed soon. Has anyone heard what the problem might be? I read in another post that it could possibly be a faulty ABS sensor?

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 218