Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Automatic Emergency Braking Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a first-time Tesla buyer expecting delivery of a MYLR in the next couple months. I read a recent article about an update to the Automatic Emergency Braking system that would help avoid vehicles that cross into your path (eg. red light runners). The update is part of FSD Beta v11.3. I am not planning to purchase FSD when I receive my car, but would this safety feature become available to my vehicle anyways as part of a different software update? My question is whether safety features that are described as part of FSD are eventually rolled out to all vehicles regardless of whether they have FSD.

My question is whether safety features that are described as part of FSD are eventually rolled out to all vehicles regardless of whether they have FSD.
In theory, yes. Elon said so, but he says a lot of things!

Aside from that, no such feature exists with FSD and the idea that it would be able to is kind of comical. Of course it is better than a human paying no attention, but FSD is for convenience, and safety is not proven. And there is no red-light running detection feature. Maybe it’ll see a car coming, maybe it won’t.

It will slam on the brakes as it exits an intersection if it detects a cyclist 50 yards away approaching the intersection on the crossing street, who is not on a collision course with the vehicle, though. I have seen that.

Currently there are no safety features. The promise of them in future is why I bought FSD though (was the only way to get HW3 at the time). We’ll see!

Upvote 0
If it is linked to "FSD" then you shouldn't expect it to be implemented in non FSD purchased vehicles...now if it is linked to FSD Beta that is a whole different story. Clearly they are using FSD Beta to not only test FSD functions but also to improve non FSD functions. If it is basic safety related, like AEB, I would think that that would be rolled out fleet wide whether you have FSD or not, because that isn't an FSD specific function.

Reactions: RCDriver23
Upvote 0
I agree with the above, that it is included with all cars. Side note, I can attest that AEB is amazing! Highway driving, someone cuts me off very close and doesn’t see cars stopped up ahead. Driver slams on brakes, I slam on my brakes and realize I’m out of brake pedal travel. I’m expecting to hit him and out of nowhere, my X engages a braking force I never knew existed. I was a couple of inches from his bumper. I’m sold on these cars…..[fanboy mode OFF]

Upvote 0
Just note that all the features of the Tesla's are dependent upon its' vision system and no radar is currently being used. That being said, it is tentative at best!! Just yesterday the rural postal lady in her little USPS van was half on/half off the roadway while she was delivering mail into a small, roadside mailbox. My MSLR never even slowed down!! I had to yank the yoke at the last second to avoid a huge crash. I think commonsense would say that the vision system should be able to see and recognize a vehicle halfway into my lane of travel but nope!!! And the stories I could tell of the ridiculousness of this car!! Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would not purchase another Tesla until the bugs are worked out, in about 10 years!! It's a very stressful car to drive because it will do random acts of ridiculousness that you just can't prepare for so you must constantly be hyperaware. One last example, driving eastbound on I-20 about 1-1/2 east of Dallas, very rural stretch of interstate and just myself and a semi-truck on this stretch of interstate. While in FSDb I was traveling 80mph in a posted 75mph zone and in the right lane as I approached the semi I activated my turn signal to move to the left and around the truck. Halfway into the left-hand (#1) lane my car suddenly and VERY rapidly yanked back into the right lane (#2), then mistakenly identified the lane markings for the exit lane as my highway lane markings and attempted to exit the interstate at 80mph!!! This was so fast and so abrupt that when I yanked the yoke to stay on the interstate the rear tires actually broke traction. It's these sort of events that just cause major frustration and can put you in a very dangerous situation.

• Informative
Reactions: OxBrew
Upvote 0