Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking Failure, the Movie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is this so hard to understand?

Because it’s 2019 and Tesla’s FSD hype goes back several years (2016 coast-coast video). Here we are, with cars costing between the 30Ks and 120K+ and what rolls off the production line today can’t even see traffic cones.

It’s not hard to understand, it’s simply about credibility.

Figures you suspect some conspiracy. I’m just really annoyed that my car has unreliable autonomy features than aren’t fitting a $55k vehicle made in 2019. It’s the only low quality property that truly bothers me. And no, it was not enough to make me not want to buy the car but as long as it offends my expectations of quality (I’m referring to the AP features that come with the car, I would never pay a cent for their shoddy FSD), I’ll call it out what it is.

BTW, It’s not peaches and rainbows at Tesla in the FSD team which doesn’t inspire confidence.

Reactions: cucubits
Because it’s 2019 and Tesla’s FSD hype goes back several years (2016 coast-coast video). Here we are, with cars costing between the 30Ks and 120K+ and what rolls off the production line today can’t even see traffic cones.

It’s not hard to understand, it’s simply about credibility.

Figures you suspect some conspiracy. I’m just really annoyed that my car has unreliable autonomy features than aren’t fitting a $55k vehicle made in 2019. It’s the only low quality property that truly bothers me. And no, it was not enough to make me not want to buy the car but as long as it offends my expectations of quality (I’m referring to the AP features that come with the car, I would never pay a cent for their shoddy FSD), I’ll call it out what it is.

BTW, It’s not peaches and rainbows at Tesla in the FSD team which doesn’t inspire confidence.

This statement implies that you believe most other $55k vehicles made in 2019 have better autonomy features. Which ones would those be?

This statement implies that you believe most other $55k vehicles made in 2019 have better autonomy features. Which ones would those be?

No, it doesn’t.

I just don’t like when a product falls massively short in a area where it is supposed to shine.

If another car manufacturer would hype their product borderline fraudulently, I’d have the same reaction. It’s like VW marketing “clean diesel”.

No, it doesn’t.

I just don’t like when a product falls massively short in a area where it is supposed to shine.

If another car manufacturer would hype their product borderline fraudulently, I’d have the same reaction. It’s like VW marketing “clean diesel”.

So your current position is that there are no cars on the market that have the autonomous features that are fitting for a $55k car in 2019?

That suggests your expectations for a $55k car in 2019 are unreasonable...

Reactions: Do It
So your current position is that there are no cars on the market that have the autonomous features that are fitting for a $55k car in 2019?

That suggests your expectations for a $55k car in 2019 are unreasonable...
The post you are quoting explicitly answers your question for you. It even provides an illustrative example of the principle underlying his lament.

Octo: 2+2=4
Saghost: So your position is that 2+2=5?

Appreciate the OP sharing info & details.
Blame for me lies with the construction company which set the cones in a short & quick merge configuration.
Lack of early warning signage is apparent.

Have had recently too many of these dangerous instances in my own experience.
IMO - even a fully & properly configured AI based AP or highly engaged human - would have had some if not a lot of friction & tension approaching this scenario.

The biggest problem with the Tesla Autonomy features in my opinion is that they work too well, but not perfectly. They work well enough that, for someone that uses them a lot, they get lulled into a false sense of security. We have had a couple of instances posted just recently. One poster "went to grab his phone and read a quick email", and this poster accidentally fell asleep.

The system works very well, but the danger with systems like this is that it works really well, but is not flawless... but people seem to expect flawless... see some posters in this thread.

I have AP / EAP / FSD on my tesla, but really only use it in traffic on the freeway. I really bought it because I wanted the new computers, because I feel its going to be better than it is "someday" but it will likely require the new computer to do so. I also expect to have this car for 6+ years, and hoped that the new computer would keep the car "relevant" longer.

When one stops to actually think about what humans do when driving (how much math we constantly do while driving, for example), I think its actually pretty amazing.

The post you are quoting explicitly answers your question for you. It even provides an illustrative example of the principle underlying his lament.

Octo: 2+2=4
Saghost: So your position is that 2+2=5?

Not really. If his original post had been that Tesla wasn't delivering features they'd promised in their marketing, then it'd hang together.

What he said was it wasn't fitting for a $55k car in 2019 - meaning Tesla hadn't met the expectations for any $55k car this year.

Using your analogies, it's more like he said: these oranges aren't what I expect for $3 per pound!

And when I asked if anyone else delivered oranges he expected for $3 per pound, he said that if anyone promised him a banana with no bruises and gave him a spoiled banana, he'd call them out too.

Reactions: Do It
Not really. If his original post had been that Tesla wasn't delivering features they'd promised in their marketing, then it'd hang together.

What he said was it wasn't fitting for a $55k car in 2019 - meaning Tesla hadn't met the expectations for any $55k car this year.

Using your analogies, it's more like he said: these oranges aren't what I expect for $3 per pound!

And when I asked if anyone else delivered oranges he expected for $3 per pound, he said that if anyone promised him a banana with no bruises and gave him a spoiled banana, he'd call them out too.
Good grief. That's not what he said. Stop being dishonest.

• Disagree
Reactions: North75
....Blame for me lies with the construction company which set the cones in a short & quick merge configuration.
Lack of early warning signage is apparent.....
How did you determine this? I bet there were several warning signs that were passed while the OP was sleeping. There are 2 [Left Lane Closed] signs in the video. Probably at least one a large flashing "Left Lane closed ahead merge right" sign that was just passed and probably 2 or 3.

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 10.28.20 AM.png

Last edited:
Appreciate the OP sharing info & details.
Blame for me lies with the construction company which set the cones in a short & quick merge configuration.
Lack of early warning signage is apparent.

Have had recently too many of these dangerous instances in my own experience.
IMO - even a fully & properly configured AI based AP or highly engaged human - would have had some if not a lot of friction & tension approaching this scenario.

Really? In the first frame you can see a sign that says left lane closed. Even if you're assuming that was the first sign, a somewhat engaged human would have moved over without incident.

edit: OK, JulienW beat me to it.

Reactions: JulienW
How did you determine this? I bet there were several warning signs that were passed while the OP was sleeping. There are 2 [Left Lane Closed] signs in the video. Probably at least one a large flashing "Left Lane closed ahead merge right" sign that was just passed and probably 2 or 3.

View attachment 433587
At hwy speeds with a large object - 2 trucks- blocking any signage on the right - not guaranteed a human can make this determination even if awake.
Any lane reduction or closure sign placed that close to an immediate merge is sketchy.

You have no evidence beyond the referenced in the snip that there was any signage place way before this merge area.
Like I said, I have see where the crew has set up a quick lane closure without proper amount of warning.

Really? In the first frame you can see a sign that says left lane closed. Even if you're assuming that was the first sign, a somewhat engaged human would have moved over without incident.

edit: OK, JulienW beat me to it.

With some heighten heart palpitation & quick thinking - sure.

At hwy speeds with a large object - 2 trucks- blocking any signage on the right - not guaranteed a human can make this determination even if awake.
Any lane reduction or closure sign placed that close to an immediate merge is sketchy.

You have no evidence beyond the referenced in the snip that there was any signage place way before this merge area.
Like I said, I have see where the crew has set up a quick lane closure without proper amount of warning.
But the signs were on "your other right." ;)

Like I said, I have see where the crew has set up a quick lane closure without proper amount of warning.....

Federal regulations require proper signage be posted. You are the one "blaming" and now you say that since I can't produce proof of proper signage it MUST have been missing.???? Unless YOU can prove the required signage was missing we MUST assume it was there.

EDIT: Will also add that your assertion that "...the construction company which set the cones in a short & quick merge configuration." is wrong. There were 5 barrels before it even reaches the lane. They also appear to be almost 100' . Plus they don't go far out into the lane for a LONG ways.

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 10.46.42 AM.png

Last edited: