Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking Failure, the Movie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the original video, I would at least expect a collision warning (flashing red and beep). Yes, in this case they were legitimate lane-closure barrels and you can berate the OP as much as you want, but in the real world they could also have been road debris or a motorcycle or a pedestrian - in either case a warning is the minimum I would expect.

But the neural network was trained to react to humans. It was not trained to react to barrels of human size.
a2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You would win that bet. There was adequate signage. I just didn't see it.

Late post but Thank You for being totally upfront about what transpired and accepting responsibility for your part in it. So many Tesla ‘events’ regarding autopilot and unintended acceleration seem to be immediately blamed on the car alone with the owners denying any fault at all on their part.
Being open and upfront about it helps the community in general and probably Tesla as well learn and improve.

I would at least expect a collision warning

I would too. If the car can't change lanes on either side, what's left is AEB and then a collision alarm. Like the collision alarm I had today, where I was approaching a car stopped at a light. That car was about 200 ft ahead of me and my car was slowing down (~30mph). The collision alarm went off just as I was about 50 feet away from 2 large plastic trash cans right at the edge of the road and about an inch or 2 outside the right hand lane marker (marker plainly visible). I can only conclude that the alarm was triggered by the trash barrels since the car ahead was not threatening a collision. These distances & speeds are the best I can do from memory and may not be very accurate. I just wish I had an alarm like this when I was approaching those other barrels that were in the road.

Reactions: bwilson4web
Late post but Thank You for being totally upfront about what transpired and accepting responsibility for your part in it. So many Tesla ‘events’ regarding autopilot and unintended acceleration seem to be immediately blamed on the car alone with the owners denying any fault at all on their part.
Being open and upfront about it helps the community in general and probably Tesla as well learn and improve.
Agree. I bet this is very valuable to Tesla engineers.

Reactions: cwerdna
Unfortunately, this is just the beginning. Wait until we have folks trusting that car will always stop at stop lights and stop signs. While this technology can and will save lives it will also be the cause of many accidents as folks put too much trust in the tech.

At this phase, Tesla should really market it as advanced drivers aids. For example, when stop light detection eventually shows up they should just alert the driver to an approaching red light/stop sign rather than assuming the car will stop. I mean the AP is already "late-braker" as it is.

@Wingsy Thanks for posting this. Takes a lot of guts to say, "Hey, don't screw up like I did."

I want my son to grow up to be the kind of man that says "ya know what? I messed up. Here's what I did, here's the mistakes I made, here's what I learned from it. Now I'm ready to take the consequences for it."

Those that are chucking rocks at you for it can go pound sand.

Thanks for sharing, man... much appreciated.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said or implied that falling asleep goes without consequences. I'm saying that I expect AEB to recognize something the size of a 50-gallon drum when it can recognize something the size of a small human.
i think we all learned something from your experience..falling asleep while driving for however short the time period is...well, it's a "NON WINNER'

i think we all learned something from your experience..falling asleep while driving for however short the time period is...well, it's a "NON WINNER'

I am glad no one was hurt but the car and an ego.

You know times have changed when we are all on a forum discussing whether the car should have not hit the barricades while I was asleep at the wheel. ;) What I want to see is the video of the driver's face when he woke up to crashing Bob's barricades at 75mph. :D

Kidding aside, after watching the video I think the car did what it was programmed to do. Since the big truck was next to him it would have been worse to try and get over and slam into him potentially jack knifing the truck and causing more problems.

I just wanted to say thank you for being honest and taking the 'heat'. I wonder how many times this happens and people don't own up to the responsibly.

I know it's just a name but I really don't like the name autopilot. I wish they just called it driving assists. I fear less knowledgeable people will be too trusting of it. At least they didn't call it take a nap mode. Seriously though glad you're OK and thumbs up for sharing.

I came to this thread after seeing the repair estimates. I cannot believe the amount of HATE in this thread, and "wise guys" defending a clearly non-functional AEB. The car should have clearly stooped/slowed down, no asterisks in a manual can change that. Utterly disappointed with Tesla (I have two of them) and especially disappointed with the attitude of the trolls in this forum. Thanks for sharing.

I came to this thread after seeing the repair estimates. I cannot believe the amount of HATE in this thread, and "wise guys" defending a clearly non-functional AEB. The car should have clearly stooped/slowed down, no asterisks in a manual can change that. Utterly disappointed with Tesla (I have two of them) and especially disappointed with the attitude of the trolls in this forum. Thanks for sharing.
So they should only put AEB in a car if it works 100% of the time? That doesn't make any sense. No manufacturer has AEB that works 100% of the time. I challenge you to find a car that does.
No hate from me, I'm glad OP owned up to his mistake and hopefully this video will help prevent future AP accidents.

I appreciate the time you took to post all this information. My Tesla doesn't have AP, something I occasionally have a little regret about. Seeing your video makes it more palatable. BTW, I have fallen asleep many times while driving. I used to wear a tilt monitor that would beep in my ear. Finally I just had to make sure that work and home were close by to survive. I hope you figure out what caused you to fall asleep or at least it never happens to you again.

I wouldn't call it hate. If you fall asleep at the wheel, crash into some barricades and then post about it on a public forum then you need to be prepared for some jokes at your expense. Your expectations of Autopilot are misguided. Don't confuse marketing with reality. These cars don't fully drive themselves and they won't for years, if ever.