Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic WW sprayed fluid, has anyone seen this behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original owner 2018 LR Dual 3. FSD since early 2019. Have always extensively used AP, however I didnot begin using FSD beta until middle of last month.

Build 2022.44.40.10.

Approximately a week into using FSD I believe I witnessed behavior I’d not noticed before, in any mode. My vehicle had been parked at home multiple days outside. No freezing temperatures here, had no rain. A layer of dust had settled on the windshield. Mid-morning, roughly 10:30am I think. I got in the vehicle and pulled out on the public road. Nav had auto selected destination (“Work”). I engaged FSD.

I live in heavily treed area. Some miles down the road I exited the tree cover, with sun shine nearly direct onwards to the car (maybe 20-30 degree to left of center).

Because of the shade I’d not noticed how dusty the windshield was. It became immediately apparent to me it was very dusty. The AutoWW appears to also have noticed as it triggered the WW sweep, but also squirted fluid!

I have no recollection of seeing that behavior before, in more than a battery warranty’s worth of miles. Did I somehow, without noticing, hard press the WW? I don’t think so. I was immediately very taken aback, “wtf was that?”

Note, I was extremely focused on my surroundings & the car’s behaviors at the moment as coming out of the trees happens at a RR crossing, that’s immediately followed by traffic lights & a required left or right turn.

Anyone notice this before? I’m trying to figure out if this FSD. Is it known whether or not the AutoWW is bundled into the AI stack, so that FSD has its own version of the WW control, only used when FSD is engaged?

Is it possible that WW development has forked, w/FSD likely being the one being actively improved?

Yes Beta has always auto cleaned the windshield when needed and often when not needed. There are several other threads about this over the last year and a half.
Using the WW fluid?

I did a number of searches before posting. So FSD stack has a different WW implementation. Has anyone tried the quantify how & how different it is in function? If it’s noticeably better than the base Auto WW functionality?

Using the WW fluid?....
Is there another way to CLEAN the windshield using the wipers? 🤔 🤣

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 1.28.34 PM.png

Yes, without squirting fluid.
I think people would be outraged if their wipers dry wiped with a layer of dirt/dust/pollen on the windshield, which could scratch the glass. By using fluid, the glass is cleaned with a significant reduction in potential damage to the glass.

I know it's not the best implementation - but your car gives you several seconds warning before it cleans your windshield while Advanced Driver Assist is enabled. If you see that warning pop up, disengage ADA and drive manually. Clean your windshield however you see fit, and then re-enable ADA. As long as the windshield is clean enough for the cameras, you should be okay.

1675363771184.png

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I complained several times about dry wiping, which is a big problem with the gritty desert dust. It ruins windshields quickly.

So I was thrilled to notice,a month or two ago, that the car is consistently squirting the fluid along with the wiping action.

Good job Tesla for fixing this problem, and it's hard for me to imagine someone complaining about it. Maybe if it does so after it's already started sprinkling, you could say it's a waste of fluid - but that's a small thing compared to scratching up the windshield.