Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automobile Mag: Quick Drive: Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they?

Think it needs a good bit more than 450bhp to compete on the track with M3, RS4 etc

They all make similar power, weight less and much better power bands with 7-8 speed box

Tesla lists the LR3 as having 271 HP. In fact there are multiple dyno results showing it makes 330+ HP AT THE WHEELS!

I think we need to see some dyno results for the P3D, but it would not suprise me if it makes near 450HP at the wheels and 500 at the battery.

I don't understand how a gearbox could possibly have better bands than a linear acceleration electric motor...?
A gearbox allows you to get closer to the maximum horsepower at a wider range of speed. Electric motor power starts to drop off at higher RPMs. Being able to shift to a higher gear would allow you to stay closer to the power peak. Obviously this is much more important with ICE cars because the power band is narrower. With a gearbox the top speed of a Model 3 could be much faster than 155mph. Definitely not worth the additional weight and complexity though.
The power output of the Model 3 will not be what prevents it from competing on the track though. The narrow tires, high weight, and lack of a limited slip differential will be what holds it back IMHO.

Are they?

Think it needs a good bit more than 450bhp to compete on the track with M3, RS4 etc

They all make similar power, weight less and much better power bands with 7-8 speed box
Its plenty for a sporty sedan for the road. Its not a track car - and nor are the M3, RS4 etc. They are basically family cars with a stiff suspension. If you want a track car - get a Caterham or something similar.

Isn’t it possible to have a second gear on an electric? I thought some electric car has more than one gear. I forget what. Maybe it was a Rimac? So Tesla can make a transmission if they wanted to.

Of course it's possible. But the weight and cost is generally not justified by the added performance.

As you say, the Rimac uses what they call a two speed dual clutch transmission on the rear wheels only, presumably because it needs to show a 200+ mph top speed to be credible as a hypercar.

To get there safely, you need special tires, though - Tesla and most others limit the car's maximum speed to avoid tire damage or needing the special ones, and so it's hard to justify the cost and weight and reliability hits that go with a multispeed transmission.

I don't understand how a gearbox could possibly have better bands than a linear acceleration electric motor...?
A gearbox allows you to get closer to the maximum horsepower at a wider range of speed. Electric motor power starts to drop off at higher RPMs. Being able to shift to a higher gear would allow you to stay closer to the power peak.

Yep.
That´s also the reason why Porsche`s Taycan will actually have a gearbox. Just a 2 way one, but still.
Electric single gear motors don´t like german autobahn speeds.

Isn’t it possible to have a second gear on an electric? I thought some electric car has more than one gear. I forget what. Maybe it was a Rimac? So Tesla can make a transmission if they wanted to.
Original Roadster was supposed to have two gear transmission, but it didn’t work because of inadequate work from supplier. After it almost caused Tesla to go bankruptcy, I think Elon has done with the transmission.

Indeed with the abundant torque and 1600prm of revs means no gear box is really needed unless you need to quote unaccessible top speed numbers in order to sell your cars to rich people who keep them garaged until their teenagers crash them.

And German autobahn speeds are well within the range of the Teslas without a gearbox. The Porsche will have to have one so that it can claim some come-uppance having come late to the party and copied everything else from Tesla....

Indeed with the abundant torque and 1600prm of revs means no gear box is really needed unless you need to quote unaccessible top speed numbers in order to sell your cars to rich people who keep them garaged until their teenagers crash them.

And German autobahn speeds are well within the range of the Teslas without a gearbox. The Porsche will have to have one so that it can claim some come-uppance having come late to the party and copied everything else from Tesla....

Elon said it would be faster around a track than all its rivals like M3

He will sadly be eating humble pie imo

Not a chance it will lap quicker than a 444bp V8 M3 with its poor top end performance

HP is 480+ 450 is standard AWD. They just got that wrong.

Source: Official EPA documentation
Screen-Shot-2018-07-17-at-5.53.40-AM.jpg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte and e-FTW