Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason Tesla didn't seem to think safety was important at all.

Tesla makes the safest cars on the road. Every one of their cars except the Roadster, where Tesla only made the power & drive train, gets a 5-star safety rating in every category. Deaths have been caused by idiots who refused to accept what Tesla tells everybody in bold capital letters: "THIS IS NOT A SELF-DRIVING CAR, MORON! It's a car with some beta-level driver assist features."

People will be people. I prefer Tesla's approach. I know my opinion is in the minority. But if people want to risk their lives and the lives of others with defeat devices, then let them do it.

People who are determined to do idiotic things to kill themselves will always find some idiotic way to kill themselves. For everyone else, Tesla's cars are the safest on the road, and AP contributes to this safety. All you have to do it use it as it was intended. I would be upset if Tesla took back EAP just because a few idiots decided to kill themselves with it.

But I do believe that people who use defeat devices to avoid driving responsibly should be put in jail for a very long time.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I think Elon made the case that he is only charging you for the egg. (well maybe egg+) as the price of the FSD will increase as features mature.
But by paying the "+" upfront you are sold future updates to your chicken...

Yeah. The problem is that when you buy the egg in hopes of getting a chicken you don't know if it will actually hatch. If you'll forgive the mixed metaphor, you're buying a pig in a poke.

As much as I want Tesla to be first to Level 4 because I love my Tesla and I loved the Tesla before this one and I want my fully-autonomous car to be a Tesla, I don't think they will be first, and I will buy the first car I can get that will let me take a nap in the back while it drives me where I want to go.

Yeah. The problem is that when you buy the egg in hopes of getting a chicken you don't know if it will actually hatch. If you'll forgive the mixed metaphor, you're buying a pig in a poke.

As much as I want Tesla to be first to Level 4 because I love my Tesla and I loved the Tesla before this one and I want my fully-autonomous car to be a Tesla, I don't think they will be first, and I will buy the first car I can get that will let me take a nap in the back while it drives me where I want to go.
I can understand why some people would think that way, but outside of timelines, Tesla has been pretty direct on what you would get.

Maybe I am the exception that sees FSD feature set following what they originally published. (everyone, EVERYONE - except Waymo, including me, wants these features to be released - and perfect - much sooner)
upload_2020-8-24_11-8-59.png

All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed...

... for features for which the software does not yet exist.

Tesla believes, and Musk certainly and honestly believes, that the cars have all the hardware needed. I do not share this belief and the fact that the software does not yet exist means that nobody can really know, and it's disingenuous of Tesla to state as fact something that at this point is only conjecture, and which no other developer of automotive autonomy thinks is the case.

Tesla believes, and Musk certainly and honestly believes, that the cars have all the hardware needed.
And Karpathy...
and they've backed up their assertions by actually producing products (especially with Musk).
Even in Autopilot/FSD realm we have seen progress and the actual features that are integral to the solution of autonomous driving - traffic light recognition and reaction!
I do not share this belief
What makes your belief "better" than that of the history Musk delivering on prior claims, and better than Karpathy et al?

For instance, green posted in March 2019 about Tesla's being able to detect and actually react to traffic lights, something he was able to turn on a rooted car, but was not yet available to the rest of us.

Tesla only released the feature to the end users over a year later in April 2020 (2020.12.6).

so, @diplomat33 how do you know they do not have FSD at Tesla?

so, @diplomat33 how do you know they do not have FSD at Tesla?

FSD is L4 or L5. Elon himself described what his car could do on his work commute on the latest and greatest software. So we have an idea of what the best Tesla has in development and it does not sound like L4 or L5. Unless Tesla has super secret L4 or L5 that even Elon does not know about, Tesla does not have FSD yet.

What makes your belief "better" than that of the history Musk delivering on prior claims, and better than Karpathy et al?

My belief is not better than theirs. The point is that actual full self-driving does not yet exist. Because it does not yet exist nobody knows if it will ever exist or what hardware will be needed for it. They are promising something that does not yet exist, and because it does not exist they cannot know for certain that it ever will and they cannot know for certain what hardware will be needed.

What they would say if they were being honest is:

"All Tesla cars have the hardware that we believe will be sufficient for full self-driving once we have developed the software."

They are selling a belief as if it were an established fact.

• Funny
Did you buy FSD?
Were you forced to buy FSD?
As a voluntary add-on option, people based on Tesla's stated "belief" of being able to deliver their stated FSD on the hardware (or provide the necessary hardware updates in case of AP3 upgrades).
But no one forced anyone to buy into the belief.

As I've said before, I did not buy FSD because it's a pig in a poke. They're selling something that does not exist.

And you can't excuse false advertising by pointing out that nobody is forced to buy the product.

The "FSD" package is not full self-driving at all. It's a suite of driver-assist features that until very recently was identical to the EAP package which they quit selling so that people who wanted those features would have to pay for "FSD." They have some really good features which I was fortunate enough to get when they were selling the EAP package. Now, although they're not "forcing" anybody to buy the fraudulently-named "FSD" package, they are requiring you to pay for non-existent features that might come some day, if you want the actual features that exist today.

It's a shady practice that I call out because they're already making the best cars on the road and would not have to make promises about future features to sell these cars. And it's low indeed to make real features available to drivers only if they pay for stuff that does not exist.

60 Minutes had a rerun of a story about autonomous trucking. They brought up Starsky and Tusimple. Starsky sent out their truck on the Florida turnpike w/o a safety driver behind the wheel. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough given The End of Starsky Robotics.

Video at Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road is behind the CBS All Access paywall but it looks like the text is a transcript.
Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road has the video not behind a paywall. It's about 13.5 minutes long.

"Waymo, the leading U.S. self-driving vehicle company, is expanding its robot truck program by moving into Texas with a new depot in Dallas that will serve as the hub for road-testing its fleet of 18-wheelers."

"Waymo tells Forbes its semis roll into Dallas this week and the Silicon Valley-based company plans to hire licensed local truckers to assist with highway evaluations as safety drivers. It’ll start with a temporary facility this month, as it looks for a long-term base of operations. Mapping of roads in Texas and New Mexico with the high-definition cameras and sensors on Waymo’s autonomous minivans was completed in March ahead of plans to start truck tests in April, before the Covid-19 pandemic delayed things. Waymo isn’t saying how much it’s investing in the project."

"The Alphabet subsidiary’s current fleet of 13 Peterbilt trucks, loaded with digital cameras, laser lidar sensors, radar and computing system will be operating on the I-10, I-20 and I-45 interstates and other high-capacity commercial routes between Texas and New Mexico."

Waymo Taps Texas As Its Robot Truck Hub With Dallas Depot

• Funny