Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Velodyne lidar has such high resolution, it can read the graffiti on the side of truck!! I think this proves that lidar can read signs.

That video proves the opposite. It literally cannot see the signs on the interstate, but yes...can see spray-painted graffiti.

This is the same company, they are trying to use Lidar to recognize stop signs by their reflective surface/color/shape, but as you see it can't actually read the sign. Right now the maximum is 25m and the angle is a big factor.

Last edited:
That video proves the opposite. It literally cannot see the signs on the interstate, but yes...can see spray-painted graffiti.

This is the same company, they are trying to use Lidar to recognize stop signs by their reflective surface/color/shape, but as you see it can't actually read the sign. Right now the maximum is 25m and the angle is a big factor.

Top self-driving teams all use maps, cameras and lidar (and radar.) Signs are not read, they are stored in the maps. If a sign changes, appears or disappears, that is immediately obvious, but only then would you attempt to read it (or send it to humans to understand if it can't be easily interpreted from the camera data.)

Velodyne lidar has such high resolution, it can read the graffiti on the side of truck!! I think this proves that lidar can read signs.

As others say, it proves the opposite because the actual signs in the video are unreadable. The graffiti probably only worked because it was lower, at the right angle and distance, the text is huge and the paint layers are very thick and vary based on color.

However the way the signs are made, the color layers are super thin and depending on the production process the letters and shapes may even be in the same thickness.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
As others say, it proves the opposite because the actual signs in the video are unreadable. The graffiti probably only worked because it was lower, at the right angle and distance, the text is huge and the paint layers are very thick and vary based on color.

However the way the signs are made, the color layers are super thin and depending on the production process the letters and shapes may even be in the same thickness.

Ok. I was really just wanting to point out that the verlodyne lidar was super high res. I guess I was wrong in my inference that it could also read signs.

Here is a map from NHTSA that shows where autonomous vehicles are being tested in the US:

Fbf1YlOWIAgcBPd

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
"Making the AV reliable" is 99.9% of the problem, just like it was with powered flight. 9/n
That comparison is weirdly stupid.

Aircrafts have only been made reliable w.r.t. hardware and handling slightly different weather conditions. Somewhat like the Falcon rocket. Avs haven't really begun the process of H/W reliability updates .... and aircrafts don't really handle other aircrafts well.

Aircrafts have only been made reliable w.r.t. hardware and handling slightly different weather conditions. Somewhat like the Falcon rocket. Avs haven't really begun the process of H/W reliability updates .... and aircrafts don't really handle other aircrafts well.
To be fair there is no good analogy to AV development. Maybe how easy it was to write a computer program to play chess and then how long it took after that to make a computer program that could be beat skilled humans.

Obviously, powered flight and autonomous driving are very different. Warren is making an analogy about capability versus reliability. The Wright bros. demonstrated that airplanes could fly. It took many years to go one from one short flight to flying all the time, every day and long distances. Autonomous driving development is similar. It has taken many years to go from a short self-driving demo to self-driving cars routinely driving all over the place, 24/7.

Reactions: Doggydogworld