Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think at some point the regulators will step in ... they can't have "driverless" drives so many interventions ...

The cars drive without a human driver and remote assistance never controls the car. I think everyone would consider that driverless.

Or rather, regulators *should* step in. But GM has bought them off, so they won't.

Why would regulators step in? For what? Cruise is not doing anything wrong. They have legit driverless.

Why would regulators step in? For what? Cruise is not doing anything wrong. They have legit driverless.
Because it is causing a lot of stuck traffic issues, apparently.

If the city had a say, they would have cancelled Cruise permit - but the state has overruled the city. I wonder why ....

Cruise is giving AVs a bad name.

The cars drive without a human driver and remote assistance never controls the car. I think everyone would consider that driverless.
But if every drive needs remote assistance ... it is simply not at the intervention rate needed for driverless operation.

Reactions: Hiline

Is Tesla planning to do the same?

Elon has made vague claims from time to time that they will when FSD reaches some "x safer than humans". But I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Because it is causing a lot of stuck traffic issues, apparently.

If the city had a say, they would have cancelled Cruise permit - but the state has overruled the city. I wonder why ....

Cruise is giving AVs a bad name.

But if every drive needs remote assistance ... it is simply not at the intervention rate needed for driverless operation.
So far the city's problems have not extended to state managed roads, so the state regulators hardly care, given it does not affect state agencies. Plus the way the intervention reporting is set up, as above, most of them don't get reported to the state. If these cars start clogging up highways then maybe the state might start caring.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Wrong. The 40mph being “regulatory” is only for EU.
That's the older UN regulation. It's now expanded to 80 mph (130 km/h).

UN R157 Amended to Expand L3 Usage

Besides, it is obviously not for city and not NOA kind of feature. It’s a simple lane keeping with TACC (may be lane change to go ahead of the slower traffic?).
True, but Tesla does not pay for any damages at any speed, high or low, on highways or summoning garage/parking lot, while Mercedes does while under its L3 parameters (pre-mapped highways, 40 MPH...)

Wrong. The 40mph being “regulatory” is only for EU.

Besides, it is obviously not for city and not NOA kind of feature. It’s a simple lane keeping with TACC (may be lane change to go ahead of the slower traffic?).
Point is Merc is doing it responsibly. They don't charge people for what doesn't exist, and they restrict the car to 40mph because, I guess, this is what they are comfortable with at the moment. They have reputation to uphold. When they are sure they can push it to 60, 80, etc, they will do that.

Contrast this with the fake it till you make it approach, except it's not some kind of software or magical medical device which, if it doesn't work, doesn't really hurt anybody (other than a few investors who are there to take risks anyway). Here it's the gullible who finance it, and the general public that bears the risks.

Wayve CEO shared this clip from their simulation to demonstrate their AI. The simulated Wayve car brakes to avoid hitting the green car that suddenly turned in front of it. He says it was safe. But I don't agree. It was a very close call. Also, you cannot assume the simulation accurately reflects what would have happened in the real world. A real human driver in the green car might not have behaved like in the sim. So I don't think we can trust this sim as proof that Wayve would handle it safely.