Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark in your own garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is not what the OP wants, but mine opens the garage door as I approach, then I just back in watching the center display with parking lines to guide me in. Much quicker than trying to engage summon and waiting for it to slowly crawl in. Also, I back in from a perpendicular position, so summon won't work for me anyway.

When driving home, as I approach my driveway, the following occurs:

1) Suspension automatically raises
2) Garage door automatically opens

I pull into driveway and stop outside of garage.

3) I then proceed to... (*)
4) Car autoparks in a straight line. (**)
5) Garage door automatically closes.

(*) I can do one of three things here:
1. Double press [Park], press arrow on screen, remove seatbelt, open driver's door, close driver's door (while I remain in car).
3. Use keyfob to autopark, while I remain in car.
4. Use Tesla app on phone to autopark, while I remain in car.

(**) My experience to achieve a straight line autopark (note, I always back in):
1. If you have enough room for it to work, set your Edge Clearance to Standard. I originally didn't have enough room and had to set Edge Clearance to Tight. It auoparked straight, but once I made more room in the garage, it started parking crooked. I changed the setting back to Standard, and it started parking straight again. If you have a ton of room, it may still go crooked, seeking out the boundaries.
2. If you have a lip larger than maybe three eighth of an inch leading into your garage, have it blended (either asphalt filler, cement, pebbles, shaved wood, etc). My car would aggressively wiggle the front wheels trying to crawl over the lip and that would leave it crooked sometimes.
3. Obscure objects protruding towards the car on either side can cause it to try to correct for that object, depending on how close it originally started to that side. The system won't try to straighten back up unless it senses another obstacle on the other side.
You say double press park. What are you pressing? I can summon my car but I have not seen any control to actively engage it. The grey P has to show up by itself (or not) in my experience. HW1.

Used to work by double-tapping parking stalk, select forward from center screen, open driver door, close driver door (while still seated), wait for auto park.

I tried this and it wasn't working for me, it the car wasn't fooled...they're probably using seat sensors the same way they are used to arm/disarm the passenger airbags.

Well. the laziest on this thread (you know who you are...) may still have to get out of their car first :)

Has anyone tried painting parking lines on their garage floor (even if it is temporarily with tape?)
Does the car detect them?

From the manual:

Note: Autopark detects potential
perpendicular parking spaces that are at least
9.5 feet (2.9 meters) wide with a vehicle
parked on each side.

It detects the parking space with the ultrasonic sensors as you drive by. It then uses the ultrasonic sensors to maintain distance from the vehicles on either side of the parking space. It's not using the lines on the pavement, so putting lines on the garage floor won't help.

Reactions: JohnnyG and sdorn
Well, the whole reason behind this question is "personal efficiency". If I have to dish out the keyfob or phone out of my pocket to summon (even if I am sitting in the seat), I might as well use the steering to reverse in manually.

I wonder if anyone has tried painting parking lines in their garage, and perhaps the car will recognize that as a parking spot, that "P" will appear and you can press a button and let the car park itself, in your own garage!? That would be ideal!

@cgiGuy - your solution seems to be the least "headache". Although having to open/close door .. okay less of a big deal than dishing out a keyfob, but not a huge big deal. I'll give it a try.
I've had some success using white gaffer's tape: