Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark - Not what I expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching videos of the new 2018 Leaf auto park puts the S to shame. It shows you what it is going to do and then executes it exactly like a good driver would. You have a 360 birds eye view to see what it is doing and how it is doing it and it doesn't need other cars to form boundaries but can use the parking lines on the pavement.

As I understand it, it uses Mobileye 4. I wasn't an owner when Tesla broke off with Mobileye but it sure makes me wonder if that was a smart move. Maybe we would have more of the features we paid for and they would work more consistently. I guess Intel was smart enough to buy them.

I feel the same way. Why try to reinvent the wheel? They should have worked a little harder to keep the contract rather than start from scratch as cars are coming off the line. I’ve read all the articles so I don’t need anybody to educate me on it. I see what Tesla was trying to achieve going off on their own but I think they should have waited until they had something solid in place before the switch.

If you haven't seen this video of the Leaf's auto park, watch it:
Tesla needs to get their programmers to watch and learn and then make a better one. A lot of the time my car doesn't even see a parking space that is obvious and then I am two cars past it (driving slow) and it shows up with the P. What the hell am I supposed to do then when there are cars behind me? What it needs to do is be looking ahead and let me know it sees the space with a box on the screen between the cars or lines as the case may be so I can stop and let cars behind me see I am about to park in that space, then proceed to pull forward and then back into the space.

Reactions: goto10 and Sharps97
If you haven't seen this video of the Leaf's auto park, watch it:
Tesla needs to get their programmers to watch and learn and then make a better one. A lot of the time my car doesn't even see a parking space that is obvious and then I am two cars past it (driving slow) and it shows up with the P. What the hell am I supposed to do then when there are cars behind me?

Tesla would have to use the rear camera for this. No indication this will happen anytime soon. Perpendicular park was developed as a gimmick for AP1, which has no rear camera for AP at all. Not to mention AP2.5 seems to have rev'd how the rear camera works for AP, which probably means AP2 can't use the rear camera reliably either.

You really need 360 degree view. My Bolt has it, my S doesn't. While the Bolt can't auto park, it makes parking easy because you can see any obstacles and avoid them. With the S, it loses sensing of the parking risers (damn cement things that will scrape off the underside of your front bumper) forcing me to guess, get out and look and proceed with great caution. I also have no view of the side lines so I can't tell if I am centered or not. It's a big car so we need the view. I also want to be centered between two cars to try and avoid door dings.

Reactions: GatorGuy
For those having issues with getting their autopark to work here is a good video to show you how to do it properly. Doesn't negate the fact that you will be almost a full car length beyond the spot in order to park but I've followed this advice and almost always get it to work just need to signal so other cars are on your bumper!

not quite, parking manually I don't have to pull as far forward as what is required for autopark to work especially for perpendicular parking.

Rear axle needs to be parallel to the rear bumper of the forward car to have both 1-try parallel parking and for minimum-angle i.e. you don't swing out into the adjacent lane in order to park. Doing this quickly means you've stopped slightly forward of this position instead of trying to slowly creep into it forwards. I've effectively noticed no difference to initiate auto parallel park.

My auto park does not work 99% of the time. I don’t even bother attempting to show people because every time I try to do it, my ‘P’ doesn’t appear in the displays. Rather frustrating and I just tell people yeah it’s got it. I’d much rather show them. Pretty annoying

Mine finds the most random spot that it thinks ok to park. Like in the middle of the road when I'm in the corner of a multi lane road. Sometimes it wants to perpendicular park between 2 cars at a location where u can only parallel park.
Good times. I rarely use it now.

Being in NY I'm more worried about leaving it parked in public. People want to touch and sit on it to take selfies for Instagram. Got a scratch from one of those incident on front quarter panel. Thankfully it's not deep and can be buffed/detail out.