Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark returned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2022.45.14 update, and I have a 2020 Model S.

Yesterday when driving in a parking lot, the "P" appeared on the display when I passed by a single open space between two cars.

I haven't seen that in a long time. "Finally, it's back!" I thought. But when I pulled a little forward and put the car in reverse to test it out, nothing came up on the touch screen to start Autopark, and the P disappeared from the dashboard display.

I checked the owner's manual on the touch screen, but it gives the same instructions as it did since I bought the car a year ago.

Is this happening to anyone else, and have you had it be able to back into a space, or parallel park? To be honest, I don't really use either feature, cause it takes too long to park. But it would be nice if the features that I paid for all work properly! :)

Reactions: easyev

Yesterday when driving in a parking lot, the "P" appeared on the display when I passed by a single open space between two cars.

I haven't seen that in a long time. "Finally, it's back!" I thought. But when I pulled a little forward and put the car in reverse to test it out, nothing came up on the touch screen to start Autopark, and the P disappeared from the dashboard display.

I checked the owner's manual on the touch screen, but it gives the same instructions as it did since I bought the car a year ago.

Is this happening to anyone else, and have you had it be able to back into a space, or parallel park? To be honest, I don't really use either feature, cause it takes too long to park. But it would be nice if the features that I paid for all work properly! :)
Yes, it's back in the FSDb 11 builds - I have seen the autopark "P" popping up consistently over the past week or so, though I never use it either. But nice to know it's there!

I thought you tapped the P first, then put the car in reverse

I'm getting the "autopark available" note on my screen, but I can't figure out how to engage it (MS Refresh). It used to be you'd hold the P to enable autopark. Now it says autopark available in the middle of the direction swipe indicator, but I can't figure out how to actually engage it.

I'm getting the "autopark available" note on my screen, but I can't figure out how to engage it (MS Refresh). It used to be you'd hold the P to enable autopark. Now it says autopark available in the middle of the direction swipe indicator, but I can't figure out how to actually engage it.

I fricking knew someone was going to do this. The RTFM police are worse than the guard police..... "You're on GUAAAARRRDDD!!!!" 😆

It's not answered in the manual, because as I said in my post, it was recently changed in the new FSD Beta software. The manual does not cover FSDb.

Edit: OK fair enough, I don't think I identified in my post that I was on beta. Mea Culpa.

Last edited:
I fricking knew someone was going to do this. The RTFM police are worse than the guard police..... "You're on GUAAAARRRDDD!!!!" 😆

It's not answered in the manual, because as I said in my post, it was recently changed in the new FSD Beta software. The manual does not cover FSDb.

Edit: OK fair enough, I don't think I identified in my post that I was on beta. Mea Culpa.
This is a lot simpler than you might imagine (I'm a simple guy). I saw a question posed and I tried to help out with an answer. I didn't RTFM you. I found the answer in the manual, so I linked the pertinent section, hoping that it would be the answer you were looking for. If I knew you, I'd have been more sensitive to your level of expertise.

Reactions: sandman1330
This is a lot simpler than you might imagine (I'm a simple guy). I saw a question posed and I tried to help out with an answer. I didn't RTFM you. I found the answer in the manual, so I linked the pertinent section, hoping that it would be the answer you were looking for. If I knew you, I'd have been more sensitive to your level of expertise.
Thank you, you're right.

Though the manual linked was for the old Model S, rather than the Refresh, I appreciate you taking the time :)

Reactions: JB47394
I did it yesterday in my 22 MS with FSD, I believe I swiped down (it was terrible btw...took about 3 tries to park). I'll try again this week and let you know.

I did it yesterday in my 22 MS with FSD, I believe I swiped down (it was terrible btw...took about 3 tries to park). I'll try again this week and let you know.
Thx, I think I figured it out. You need to hold in the Center of the swipe bar where it says auto park available, then another blue box shows up above that you have to tap. A bit janky. Auto park itself did ok though, was fairly fast actually.

In my M3 with USS and FSDb, on the rare times it is offered, it works as well as it did before it went away. This is for perpendicular parking, not parallel. Usually three movements, R-F-R, to get into the space.

Unfortunately, Autopark is rarely offered. And when it is, it usually does not appear until the job is all but done. And the sad thing is, at least for perpendicular parking, Autopark has never really been worth the trouble. Once you've become accustomed to the backup camera and the guide lines, manually backing into a parking spot is much more efficient that Autopark.

Now, if Tesla would offer a true parking solution which navigates a parking lot to find the space and Autoparks, it might be something worthwhile. But, they're still working out basic driving infrastructure and planning issues. I'm expect it will be a log time before we see any general parking improvements.

Autopark is available in FSD.... What are we talking about here?
I think they are referring to new Tesla cars (as of OCT/NOV 2022) which had USS removed (ultrasonic sensors), which removed parking features. Recent updates have started to test parking distance using vision only, and require significant training before rolling out basic park assist functions.