Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark - wtf?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MrBadger

Badger out
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Obviously some invisible portal I am not aware of in the middle of my garden!

Oddly enough, just noticed that the camera looks back to front. The parking space being offered is, plan view, in middle of that wall. Plan view orientation is correct if the dark grey is a wall except there is no parking space in middle of the wall! It might think that darker grey is the lawn, in which case, its wrong side of car. The photo is mystifying though, wish I had noticed when I rushed to take the photo before swmbo reversed off the drive - was more surprised at its offer to autopark.

Apparently it also offered to park in the middle of a car today at a shopping centre - car had just been parked between two cars, the it offered to auto park in middle of one at the side. I wasn't in the car so don't know full circumstances.

20191023_161125845_iOS - Copy.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: phillcom3
Oddly enough, just noticed that the camera looks back to front. The parking space being offered is, plan view, in middle of that wall. Plan view orientation is correct if the dark grey is a wall except there is no parking space in middle of the wall! It might think that darker grey is the lawn, in which case, its wrong side of car. The photo is mystifying though, wish I had noticed when I rushed to take the photo before swmbo reversed off the drive

Putting the extra hour in bed to good use, I had a bit of a think about camera orientation. I think it is right, as it is as if you are looking in rear view mirror, but difficult to get my head around without being in car to be sure.

But still does not explain the invisible portal in the middle of the wall. I'm guessing it thinks that there is some shape it recognises in the planting but cannot differentiate between solid wall and drivable space.

Or that the space it wants to park in within some steps up to the house, but not visible in rear view camera shot. But angles all wrong in parking space diagram.

Last edited:
No, that space is in the middle of the wall plan view.

When sitting in the car, the house and wall is drivers (right side), the lawn is passenger/left side. The flipped view of the rear view camera really confuses things, but when sitting inside car, I am sure makes perfect sense otherwise I am sure I would have flagged it when I took the photo.

Wall is on the right, and it is on the right in the rear view camera so senses wise, must feel correct. Its just that when looking at screen, you are looking in the opposite direction to where the camera is pointing, so the image is flipped to compensate. I think.

reversing camera views are flipped.. as in what you see left on the screen is left of the car but if you turned 180 in your seat and looked out it'd be on your right. First cheapo reversing system i fitted to a car 25+yrs ago didn't flip - made for interesting reversing.

I have never used self park stuff in any of my last cars but I did try it the other night (it was dark) in my M3P it showed the space I was going to go in, pressed start, off it went and reversed straight into the curb, I could see it was going to happen was miles out, so had pretty well stopped, even the angle was so far out it was the rubber on the tyre that touched curb, not even the rim.

Pretty poor tbh, just as well I can actually park a car.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
the plan (overhead) view shows the p space to the rear right side of the car. thats in your image at the top.

the camera is looking out of the back of the car (you said your wife backed it out the drive which fits)

the rear right side of car is thus left of image, the lawn, which correlates with the plan rendering in your photo.

No, the camera is flipped. The right rear of the car is a wall. The lawn is on the left side of the car. The so called parking space to the right of the car is definitely not the lawn. It is either the wall, or some steps, but the latter is in wrong position and angle *.

Image below is what it would look like facing down the drive.

* just noticed the bottom step left of the image. So that does tie up better with the position, but angles are still all wrong I think. The wall to the right of the car would be almost parallel when parked and further away and the drive curves down around 90 degrees from where the car is would have been parked. However, whilst that matches with location of slatted garage doors, they run at right angle to the wall, it doesn't match the angle from rear view camera. So I think a bit of a warp in space time continium going on, or just effects of very wide angled lens and a slightly more angled parking position - probably trying to get a better wifi signal!

So something about the orientation of the car confusing positions and the car confusing the steps up with a parking space I think.

20191023_161125845_iOS - Copy.jpg