Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot acknowledgement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dials are and option but I find the easiest it just rest your thumb on the wheel a few inches away from bottom center so it provides a little rotational force. AP is looking for rotational resistance, not squeezing pressure, and it does not take much to avoid the nag.

I don't see them taking off the nag until FSD is here.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
When the AP asks for you to put pressure on the wheel, are there any alternatives?
I hope this can be dialed down in terms of frequency. It defeats the purpose.
I read you can acknowledge AP using the dials on the steering wheel. Any others?
Depending on how you hold the wheel you may not get nags at all. The weight of my arms rests on both sides of the wheel at 9 and 3 (seat back, elbows up), I get no nags. I don't have to provide any additional torque, it detects my hands likely due to its own micro adjustments against the resistance of the weight of my arms.

The dials are and option but I find the easiest it just rest your thumb on the wheel a few inches away from bottom center so it provides a little rotational force. AP is looking for rotational resistance, not squeezing pressure, and it does not take much to avoid the nag.

I don't see them taking off the nag until FSD is here.

Someone asked Elon about this on Twitter yesterday. He replaced that he has been testing EAP without the nag, and it’s working pretty well. Might release an update “in a month or so”.

...I hope this can be dialed down in terms of frequency...

Maybe in future when the technology will be mature and no one will die from it but in the meantime, autopilot drivers still can die so I don't see any nag-less system any time soon.

I seldom get any nag alert at all! The trick is to have a constant counter-torque with at least one of my hands so I can feel the torque status and correct it seamlessly if it goes rogue.

I usually use my arm as a weight only, but in this case below when I bring my dog along, my dog also wants to add its head's weight to monitor the torque that goes up and down too. Somehow it just enjoys monitoring the torque movement:

PFrUNuI.jpg

Last edited:
You are supposed to pay attention and hold the wheels when using ap. I rest one hand on 10 o clock and get zero nags. I just alternate left hand on 10, or right on 2. Zero nags at all.

Some may say yeah but you get driving fatigue but not really. Driving fatigue comes from making micro muscle adjustments. Holding the wheel with one hand like that won’t give you the same fatigue. Plus you’re ready to take over when needed to.