Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

As i understand it from the Model S page, EAP can be specified after delivery (albeit at a higher cost than if it were specified at point of order). Is this correct? If so, I'm guessing all the necessary hardware is installed in every MS at build, and it's simply a case of buying the software to make EAP work either at custom order stage, or, alternatively, after delivery?

Cheers.

Ah, I see. Sounds like it's just a case of paying to have it unlocked.

Yep, it's activated as soon as your credit card has been authorised and the check box ticked o_O. The cameras should calibrate within a few miles of relevant driving - i.e. roads that are well marked. If autopilot isn't available after 100 miles then the camera will need manual calibration, which takes a hour or so at a SvC (not sure if a Ranger can do it).

When AP2 cars first started arriving in the UK manual calibration was quite common, I don't hear much about it these days so hopefully it wouldn't be needed.

My MX cameras auto calibrated ina bout 30miles then AP was active to use.

I do find this interesting especially for the trade in market in a few years, I can see Tesla taking your car as tradein then adding EAP and reselling at a little more and for them it’s pure profit as everyhing is in the car.

I got EAP anyway as I wanted it for my commute but I wasn’t sure if I’d like it. Now I could and wouldn’t want to drive a car without it Tesla or other make “providing it’s as good as Tesla’s AP :)

The cameras should calibrate within a few miles of relevant driving - i.e. roads that are well marked

I wonder for an existing car whether that still happens (post-payment)? I'm thinking that the car may be doing shadow-mode and, as such, will actually be running the AP software, just not driving itself. I also wonder if any of that calibration is needed for the "look out!" alerts to work effectively?

Just pondering though, I have no actual knowledge about this.

I can see Tesla taking your car as tradein then adding EAP and reselling at a little more and for them it’s pure profit as everyhing is in the car.

I think that gives Tesla quite a lot of wiggle room. Car with Supercharging for life comes in Part-Ex. Tesla sell it as "stock" and new owner re-buys any options that they want. (Private sale is a different thing of course).

“providing it’s as good as Tesla’s AP

Snap. I absolutely would not own a car for majority of my driving that didn't do at least as good a job. Actually I'm not sure I need it to do any more, until FSD is here. I don't really need it to take a highway exit by itself ... that's like a couple of minutes of manual driving in a 2 hour journey! but I do think auto-pass would be handy; I struggle to predict the (seems massive to me) distance on approaching a slower vehicle at which AP will start to slow down, and I must indicate to change lanes, so the car doing that by itself would be handy. But if it will drive itself along dual carriageway, and do bumper-to-bumper / stop-start that will do me. I'm not comfortable trusting it "outright" on undivided roads, and I don't drive them for long enough periods to feel a need (others will no doubt be in situations of majority of driving on regular A-roads).

Does anyone here regularly use AP on undivided UK roads (other than stop-start) ?

I do find this interesting especially for the trade in market in a few years, I can see Tesla taking your car as tradein then adding EAP and reselling at a little more and for them it’s pure profit as everyhing is in the car.

I would have thought they would do this as standard practice. It has to be a no-brainer, even if they didn't actually make any extra money on the sale, as it costs them literally nothing and makes the car more desirable. Are there even any used cars on the Tesla site advertised without EAP? I would be surprised if there were.