Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot braking and Overpasses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I suggest another explanation for the sudden braking that occurs when passing under overpasses/bridges. It may not be a sunlight/overpass problem as suggested by many. When I am on a local overpass (30 or 45 mph speed limit), my screen reads 65 mph right when I pass over the highway below! I think that the 'map' doesn't comprehend elevation and instantly assigns the speed limit from the wrong level. Because of local construction, I can't use AutoPilot to test out this theory but someone traveling on an overpass could check the speed limit and maybe see what AutoPilot does (with a foot on the brake!)?

• Informative
Reactions: TampaRich
No apologies needed.

Phantom breaking from overhead bridges is common. Sometimes trees and power lines I have had as well.

The issue with the speed limit information is also occurring as it uses mapping data and location data from GPS to determine speed limits not visual recognition of signs currently unless you have AP1. I have had this issue on triple decker overpasses. Picking up speed limit for the main thoroughfare underneath. As always Tesla is trying to improve the data set with map updates. I would say it has improved recently, but still a ways to go to figuring out where car is in relationship to speed and other side roads.

Hope your enjoying your ride.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
It is almost certainly about trying to be sure an overpass is NOT a semi trailer turning in front. This has contributed to 2 fatal accidents when AP likely miss identified the opening under the trailer as an overpass.

I would have to disagree with you. The OP specifically states that his speed changed while he was on the overpass, not under it.

I get phantom braking seemingly randomly with or without overhangs.

In stop and go traffic the car is extremely jerky slamming on the accelerator and then waiting way too long to start braking and then slam on the brakes. I'm in chill mode but it appears to not help stop the car from rapid acceleration like 75% of the time in stop and go traffic.

In stop and go traffic the car is extremely jerky slamming on the accelerator and then waiting way too long to start braking and then slam on the brakes. I'm in chill mode but it appears to not help stop the car from rapid acceleration like 75% of the time in stop and go traffic.

AP is really only an “ok driver” on non congested highways. Jerky acceleration, phantom braking, overreacting, braking too late, accelerating too slowly, etc. is all part of the charm as Tesla attempts to make the car drive better than a human.

AP is really only an “ok driver” on non congested highways. Jerky acceleration, phantom braking, overreacting, braking too late, accelerating too slowly, etc. is all part of the charm as Tesla attempts to make the car drive better than a human.
Having just received my model 3 I can confirm all these issues. I reluctantly have to admit that my old Mercedes E-class does a better job simply following the car in front without the rather "nervous" behaviors of my model 3. I sincerely hope (and anticipate) these behaviors will improve at a steady pace to eventually come up to (and exceed?) todays standards.

I bet there may be multiple factors in phantom braking, but I find OP's hypothesis intriguing.

I do have one supporting tidbit I've noticed several times when checking on my car's location from the phone app. Suppose Malbec Ave runs north-south, and has an intersection with Tempranillo St, which runs east-west. If the car is at the intersection, heading west, the app may report the car as being westbound on Malbec. This can't be true, of course. But it doesn't seem to be quite smart enough to use the direction the car is heading to figure out which of the two possible streets it is really on.

This could address OP's theory too. If @tg27 is on Malvasia Road heading west as it overpasses I-5 going north-south, the car has two (or maybe four) speed limits to choose from. The direction the car is traveling or pointing (if at a stop) resolves the ambiguity.

Sorry if I'm thinking like a software designer.

You're not alone beachmiles. I've been afflicted with the same issues since I got mine in May. But I wouldn't call it charm, as I had a 2011 and 2012 Charger with adaptive cruise that works better than the TACC in my M3. Although this is a teensy sample size, I can attest that my future-son-in-law's M3 (bought days after mine) is much smoother in making speed adjustments when following another car. Why this is so is very puzzling.

And I guess I won't be able to comment on whether or not these issues are getting better or worse once the next software update comes through. I just signed up for their Early Access Program which prohibits any such public comments. Maybe you'll be able to tell if one day I just appear... happier. :)

Reactions: beachmiles
But it doesn't seem to be quite smart enough to use the direction the car is heading to figure out which of the two possible streets it is really on

I find it hard to believe such simple functionality could be missing. Living in Switzerland with all our tunnels the nav systems learned to stay on a road without GPS signal for extended periods of time when no other options to diverge are possible. 10 years ago it was funny because the navigation would suddenly assume you were driving on top if mountain instead of in the tunnel - but as mention that was fixed years ago.

Although this is a teensy sample size, I can attest that my future-son-in-law's M3 (bought days after mine) is much smoother in making speed adjustments when following another car. Why this is so is very puzzling

Interesting, may explain why some of these TACC discussions get testy with people in vehement disagreement

Encouraging, as I detest the TACC due to the extreme nature of the corrections my particular car exhibits.

Reactions: edigest
Interesting, may explain why some of these TACC discussions get testy with people in vehement disagreement.

I think you're on to something. There are situations I won't use NoAP but, generally, it works well for me. TACC is very good for me, especially since I discovered braking-for-crossing-traffic is much improved for me by selecting Chill Mode and '7' on the follow distance while using TACC.

A lot of these discussions start our with "AutoPilot sucks" with no context. That, and complaining that it doesn't work in situations it shouldn't be used.

For me, TACC and AP have been improving slowly, if not steadily.

I've yet to encounter phantom braking with overpasses on I-95 in South Florida. I've watched closely as I was expecting it given the reports. Seems to hold true in varying lighting conditions, with the shadow very dark directly underneath to situations where it is projected out a ways. I wonder if it is HW 3, or due to AP's familiarity with that roadway due to lots of local Tesla drivers.