Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot collision: Autobahn driver claims his Tesla ran into a barrier on the A7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, at least he didn't go crying to the media and having the government ban autopilot (like one Hong Kong owner did after driving in a construction zone using Autopilot and almost getting into an accident).

This is the contribution I made to that reddit post:

By reading the Release Notes you would see that you should NOT activate AP in adverse weather OR construction zones. It SUCKS that you've injured your beautiful car, but hopefully this is a lesson to all to RTFM. Page 84 of your Model S manual (for reference)

Well, then why didn't you read the f....g thread? Doesn't the OP explicitly say: "At least my manual (in danish) does not say anything about construction zones."

BTW, I do wonder why the media swallow Elon Musk's claim that the autopilot is "probably better than a person right now” at driving? Yes, it doesn't suffer from fatigue but whenever the situation gets slightly difficult the human driver has to take over.

I thought it was obvious that Autopilot should not be used to drive through a construction zone or where the integrity of the road itself along with lane markings are compromised. On normal driving situations that account for about 95% of highway driving Autopilot I bet is much safer than a human who is susceptible to fatigue and distraction.

There is a reason the current Autopilot implementation requires a driver constantly paying attention. Seems the actual owner f the car admitted it was his responsibility to keep an eye out and he's not blaming anyone else.

And...

zxkgr.jpg

I thought it was obvious that Autopilot should not be used to drive through a construction zone or where the integrity of the road itself along with lane markings are compromised. On normal driving situations that account for about 95% of highway driving Autopilot I bet is much safer than a human who is susceptible to fatigue and distraction.

There is a reason the current Autopilot implementation requires a driver constantly paying attention. Seems the actual owner f the car admitted it was his responsibility to keep an eye out and he's not blaming anyone else.

And...

View attachment 112986

Autopilot is supposed to keep the car in lane and it didn't. So what's that got to do with autonomous driving? Additionally, its very limitations show that Autopilot is not superior to human driving skills.