Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot doesnt come with the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you ever get the Autosteer activated then it does not magically starts to drive. You need to engage it each time the conditions comply and you need that system. There are times when the car thinks it’s not able to follow the lines on pavement and disengage it. So to start it needs manual input.
I have 2016 car but with AP1 feature and I was in the same situation as you. I was able to purchase it later when the price was still 3k. As yours is AP2.0 car then it might be EAP feature that is available and I believe the price is around 5k now. As others have suggested just look under the upgrade section on the app, it will tell you your situation.

In 2016 Autopilot was called Autopilot Convenience Features and was sold for $2500.

Without purchasing the option, you still got Autopilot Safety Features. That means that Autopilot is active in the background to perform collision avoidance. Check your settings in the on screen menu for how assertive you want autobrake for example.

1667830976297.jpeg

In 2016 Autopilot was called Autopilot Convenience Features and was sold for $2500.

Without purchasing the option, you still got Autopilot Safety Features. That means that Autopilot is active in the background to perform collision avoidance. Check your settings in the on screen menu for how assertive you want autobrake for example.

View attachment 872061

This was true earlier in 2016, but not for OP’s December 2016 AP2/“FSD” car. OP’s options were:

1) “autopilot safety features” - included as you state

2) “enhanced autopilot” - radar cruise, autosteer, autopark, summon, and freeway transitions for $5,000

3) “full self driving” which included autopilot on city streets for an additional $3,000 ($8,000 total).

This was true earlier in 2016, but not for OP’s December 2016 AP2/“FSD” car. OP’s options were:

1) “autopilot safety features” - included as you state

2) “enhanced autopilot” - radar cruise, autosteer, autopark, summon, and freeway transitions for $5,000

3) “full self driving” which included autopilot on city streets for an additional $3,000 ($8,000 total).
You're right! I learnt something again :)

Did you turn AP on? I've set up my dad as a new driver and was trying to show him how to activate AP using his profile and was surprised it didn't work. Come to find out you need to turn it on while the car is parked and agree to the terms/conditions. Once you complete that, then AP function should be available to you under your driver profile.

Apologies if this has already been told, but I didn't see this step completed in the my quick viewing of the thread.

Attachments

• 20221108_102155.jpg
    20221108_102155.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I do remember, and the price did increase when they "made autopilot standard" on model 3s. It increased 2k.
Yes and around the same time, they made the white M3 the free color I think. I paid $5K for EAP and $2K for white back in late 2018 and if I just waited a few months, I would have saved $7K because I really only wanted basic AP 😢

Did you turn AP on? I've set up my dad as a new driver and was trying to show him how to activate AP using his profile and was surprised it didn't work. Come to find out you need to turn it on while the car is parked and agree to the terms/conditions. Once you complete that, then AP function should be available to you under your driver profile.

Apologies if this has already been told, but I didn't see this step completed in the my quick viewing of the thread.
I checked but I don't have that option to turn on AP.

Yes and around the same time, they made the white M3 the free color I think. I paid $5K for EAP and $2K for white back in late 2018 and if I just waited a few months, I would have saved $7K because I really only wanted basic AP 😢

Yep. I know this is a model S thread so I will stop derailing after this, but it IS an example of the somewhat "capricious " nature of Tesla's changes around stuff like this. The "free white" was supposed to be plain white, not the white that people like you had paid good money for, but in the end, they just swapped white for black as the free color and both were the same.

The rumors around that time (which I believe 100%) was that they swapped because black shows more micro scratches / swirl marks and people were rejecting more cars because of it, while white hides those imperfections better.

I paid 5k for EAP and 2k for FSD during the fire sale that happened during that 3 ish week time frame of including AP and raising the price 2k.

I checked but I don't have that option to turn on AP.

Thats because you dont have AP, but I thought we had established that for you already?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yep. I know this is a model S thread so I will stop derailing after this, but it IS an example of the somewhat "capricious " nature of Tesla's changes around stuff like this. The "free white" was supposed to be plain white, not the white that people like you had paid good money for, but in the end, they just swapped white for black as the free color and both were the same.

The rumors around that time (which I believe 100%) was that they swapped because black shows more micro scratches / swirl marks and people were rejecting more cars because of it, while white hides those imperfections better.

I paid 5k for EAP and 2k for FSD during the fire sale that happened during that 3 ish week time frame of including AP and raising the price 2k.

Thats because you dont have AP, but I thought we had established that for you already?
I’d have preferred flat white to be the freebie (Like it is with BMW, Alpine White and Jet Black as the free colors)

Reactions: jjrandorin