Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Failed me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use autopilot sometimes, but when the going gets tough I can drive better than the autopilot. The autopilot can’t anticipate a developing situation. A yo-yo speeding and weaving in and out of traffic.
This has long been my problem with FSD/AP. Who knows, maybe AI can solve it, but with nearly 5 decades of driving, I can see problem drivers and situations develop by reading the "body language" of cars in traffic - much better than AP, which seems to have a very short view of the road. I no longer have FSD, but even with AP, I disengage when the situation has the potential to exceed it's capabilities.

This has long been my problem with FSD/AP. Who knows, maybe AI can solve it, but with nearly 5 decades of driving, I can see problem drivers and situations develop by reading the "body language" of cars in traffic - much better than AP, which seems to have a very short view of the road. I no longer have FSD, but even with AP, I disengage when the situation has the potential to exceed it's capabilities.
Excellent - you're using the system exactly as it's supposed to be used. It's an advanced driver assist. It can handle the boring parts of driving, but still needs you to handle the spicy parts of driving.

Reactions: fholbert
If the vehicle doesn't stay in the lane and beeps when it drifts into an adjacent lane, it means you're not in Auto Steer and you're supposed to be driving it. I've experienced this at times when I think I have FSDb engaged, when in fact I do not...
I purposely went to MCU and turned on autosteer, no TACC, no FSD. It didn't stay in lane

• Disagree
Reactions: APotatoGod
Yup, bad this happened. It could've been avoided by understanding how to use autopilot and its limitations. It is meant for use on controlled access straight highways with full attention. Expensive leason learned and its good you nor anyone else was hurt. This is why whenever I see a Tesla, I give it lots of room.

Reactions: eskudo12791
I purposely went to MCU and turned on autosteer, no TACC, no FSD. It didn't stay in lane
Autosteer requires TACC to be on to activate so there is no such thing as autosteer without TACC. Also to activate autosteer you need to push the stalk down twice (and TACC will be on simultaneously). There will be blue lines on either side of the lane (assuming you have regular AP).

Are you sure you aren't talking about the lane departure avoidance?

I haven't had issues with Autosteer even on extremely curvy roads, but I only use it on divided highways.

Yup, bad this happened. It could've been avoided by understanding how to use autopilot and its limitations. It is meant for use on controlled access straight highways. Expensive leason learned and its good you nor anyone else was hurt. This is why whenever I see a Tesla, I give it lots of room.
For the life of me I don't know why ELMO doesn't put the simplest features many ICE cars have built into the base model

Autosteer requires TACC to be on to activate so there is no such thing as autosteer without TACC. Also to activate autosteer you need to push the stalk down twice.

To be honest with you, I've had the car over 4 years and I still need a matrix to figure out which function does what. One of the guys on the TMC podcasts says all he has is AP and it's great on long trips. So he must be just going straight as an arrow. My 2017 Pruis stayed in lane while highway and street driving

I've developed a very high comfort level with FSDb and been allowing the vehicle to handle increasingly challenging situations. The reaction time for emergency maneuvers very impressive

Autosteer requires TACC to be on to activate so there is no such thing as autosteer without TACC. Also to activate autosteer you need to push the stalk down twice (and TACC will be on simultaneously). There will be blue lines on either side of the lane (assuming you have regular AP).

I haven't had issues with Autosteer even on extremely curvy roads, but I only use it on divided highways.
I believe that lane departure avoidance has to be activated...

To be honest with you, I've had the car over 4 years and I still need a matrix to figure out which function does what. One of the guys on the TMC podcasts says all he has is AP and it's great on long trips. So he must be just going straight as an arrow. My 2017 Pruis stayed in lane while highway and street driving
Nope not true at all, I regularly travel very curvy roads on Autosteer and it works fine. There are some roads where you may have to adjust the speed down a bit if it doesn't auto detect the curve (like if you are barrelling down at 90mph toward a 40mph curve), but generally if you set your set speed to reasonable levels to the road, it works just fine.

Here's an example of a road I use it regularly and it handles it just fine even at higher speeds than the posted limit:
20130815__web0816roadshow1.jpg

Reactions: APotatoGod
Nope not true at all, I regularly travel very curvy roads on Autosteer and it works fine. There are some roads where you may have to adjust the speed down a bit if it doesn't auto detect the curve (like if you are barrelling down at 90mph toward a 40mph curve), but generally if you set your set speed to reasonable levels to the road, it works just fine.

Here's an example of a road I use it regularly and it handles it just fine even at higher speeds than the posted limit:
20130815__web0816roadshow1.jpg
So the question is, do you have FSD in the car and what options do you select for just AP and is it 1 yank of the stalk?

So the question is, do you have FSD in the car and what options do you select for just AP and is it 1 yank of the stalk?
No FSD or even EAP, just vanilla standard AP. I do a double tap of the stalk. Single tap is only TACC!

Seriously you need to read the manual if you don't know this difference! Read the whole page through, but for example here is a quote.
"To initiate Autosteer, move the drive stalk fully down twice in quick succession."
GUID-D7CB3AC3-BBC4-4F26-8B17-2CABBEA72BCE-online-en-US.gif

No FSD or even EAP, just vanilla standard AP. I do a double tap of the stalk. Single tap is only TACC!

Seriously you need to read the manual if you don't know this difference! Read the whole page through, but for example here is a quote.
"To initiate Autosteer, move the drive stalk fully down twice in quick succession."

If I yank it twice it goes into FSD. Do I turn FSD off ?

Best advice I received about AP/FSD was to assume it was out to kill you at any minute. That advice has served me well. If I hadn't followed it, there are probably several accidents I would have been in if I had truly trusted AP/FSD. It can go from being amazing to OMG, why the hell did it do that in a second?

Perfect example was a few days ago on FSDb. All was going well but it didn't notice a tree that was actually growing into the lane but at about 3 feet up. Most people just drive around it or move a bit right (it was on the left). The car wanted to stubbornly stay in the center of the lane which would have resulted in a direct hit of the tree on the A Pillar. I took control and avoided it all.

Nice graphic!

maual.png