Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot free trials coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Justify the extra $1000 to buy AP after getting the car. That is a blatant money grab, something Tesla is good at.
Well if your $5,000 EAP option is rolled up into Car payments over 5 or 6 years vs. if you were to pay for it outright 1-2 years later, you've avoided paying any interest on EAP.

eg. $5,000 x 3.% x 6 years is $900. so it's not as bad it seems.

And MY wife on the other hand, after 3 years of seeing autopilot in my car, told me NOT to get it on her M3. She hates it and does not want it. We've had too many times I have had to jump in and save us from crazy things it has done. That combined with it's terrible speed with self park, even if Tesla was to pay us to have the autopilot she wouldn't want it.

To each his/her own.

I can envision circumstances in which it would be well worth the price of admission, but I’m a 10 minute commute to and from work on side streets - 15 minutes if traffic is bad. I rarely take road trips, and can count on one hand how often I drive in any real traffic per year.

It might make sense for some, but it’s a bad investment for others.

If my circumstances change, I might end up paying the extra $1k (no sales tax in Oregon) to get it, though.

Well the wife said to sell the volt to get the autopilot feature. While I still don't think a cool feature is worth the entire volt premier, she said we have to get it will allow us to summon the car :D:rolleyes:.
I was talked to getting t
And MY wife on the other hand, after 3 years of seeing autopilot in my car, told me NOT to get it on her M3. She hates it and does not want it. We've had too many times I have had to jump in and save us from crazy things it has done. That combined with it's terrible speed with self park, even if Tesla was to pay us to have the autopilot she wouldn't want it.
I tried out EAP after the new update and it works amazing. I drove from the Bay Area to Sonoma and it was so much more pleasant with EAP.

I hear a lot of people say the speed with self park is terrible, but it is pretty quick when I've used it. Maybe it's gotten better with the updates?

Reactions: EinSV
Yeah, I am getting a LOT of negativity from people on this here, but this is the big feature of the car. If you are being negative about EAP and don't own the car, I don't care what you have to say, if you are being negative and you DO own the car, why did you get this car?? Sure, it's awesome, best electric car on the market, very efficient, handles like a BMW 2002, But WHY get the early production version?? The BEST thing about getting this car is the FULL package and if you cannot just ding-ding and let go of the wheel I do NOT get you.

So please, people who HAVE the Model 3 and DON'T have EAP, what the deal?

-Randy

if you are being negative and you DO own the car, why did you get this car??

I can try to answer. There are no other electric cars out there that’s worth buying. BMW Mercedes and Porsche is too slow to the game and forced me to take my business to Tesla. I’m sold on electric and have no choice.

Oh. I haven’t been negative about EAP here tho. =) I just wish it cost less. $5k was hard to swallow. But my wife told me to get it.

Reactions: israndy
More EAP improvements on the way, V9 firmware due in a few months.
Does the "free" so called TACC etc in the previously mentioned Hondas, Toyotas et al get free updates?
No? Didn't think so.
We just got another special offer from Honda to update the maps in the crappy nav in our CRV, $99 instead of $150. Wow, what a deal - not.

Reactions: MXWing
More EAP improvements on the way, V9 firmware due in a few months.
Does the "free" so called TACC etc in the previously mentioned Hondas, Toyotas et al get free updates?
No? Didn't think so.
We just got another special offer from Honda to update the maps in the crappy nav in our CRV, $99 instead of $150. Wow, what a deal - not.
Oh the irony … Complaining about a $99 software update, but no issue paying $5k upfront for incomplete software from Tesla.
BTW: Did you spend the $3k for FSD? I see Tesla announced some level of FSD being activated in a software release this fall. With all the justification for EAP at $5k, I'm sure you ponied up the $3k too, right?

BTW: Did you spend the $3k for FSD? I see Tesla announced some level of FSD being activated in a software release this fall. With all the justification for EAP at $5k, I'm sure you ponied up the $3k too, right?

I can't speak for him, but I can tell you my thought process. I did not purchase FSD for $3K at delivery. I will pay the $4K for it later.

My feeling is that while I think Tesla will have FSD functional at some point (probably later than they estimate, but within my car's expected lifetime of 7-10 years), I think the regulatory issues will be the ultimate factor that will delay implementation. Tesla may have FSD ready in 2-3 years, but I'll bet many states don't allow it for another 2-3 years after that. I didn't want to pay $3K now for something I might not be able to use for 5-6 years.

Heh, Texas doesn't even allow Teslas to be sold here. The prospect of FSD will likely send the auto dealer lobbyists and the legislators in this state into a complete conniption.

When it's ready and my state allows it, then I'll pay the $4K for it.

Reactions: Blu Angel
Yeah, I am getting a LOT of negativity from people on this here, but this is the big feature of the car. If you are being negative about EAP and don't own the car, I don't care what you have to say, if you are being negative and you DO own the car, why did you get this car?? Sure, it's awesome, best electric car on the market, very efficient, handles like a BMW 2002, But WHY get the early production version?? The BEST thing about getting this car is the FULL package and if you cannot just ding-ding and let go of the wheel I do NOT get you.

So please, people who HAVE the Model 3 and DON'T have EAP, what the deal?

-Randy
It's not worth the money for how I drive the car. I wanted the early production because it's slightly faster than the short range (which may or may not ever happen), not as expensive as the AWD/P, and I'm guaranteed the tax credit. If I had a commute with traffic I would consider it.

Or in other words "Sure, it's awesome, best electric car on the market, very efficient, handles like a BMW 2002..."

It's not worth the money for how I drive the car. I wanted the early production because it's slightly faster than the short range (which may or may not ever happen), not as expensive as the AWD/P, and I'm guaranteed the tax credit. If I had a commute with traffic I would consider it.

Or in other words "Sure, it's awesome, best electric car on the market, very efficient, handles like a BMW 2002..."
Some people actually like driving so it doesn't make sense for them to get EAP. I am not those people. I hate driving so the more the car does the better.

I was more hesitant about paying $9k for long range battery. But now that I have it, I really appreciate the extra range.