Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot getting worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad you like it. A lot of people do. But I hate it. It makes the driving experience very unpleasant and I'm sure it pisses off other drivers around me with it's sometimes erratic behavior.

BTW what do you set your follow distance at? I have mine set at 4 as I heard that makes it's behavior less jerky. Is there a better setting? I really want to like it and am willing to experiment or take suggestions.

Mine is generally set to 1 in good weather. 2 or 3 if it's raining.

At 4 I'd expect to perpetually be getting cut in front of, which would indeed prompt a lot of additional slowing down.... at that point I bet it'd be acting like other brands TACC systems that simply don't follow close enough no matter what setting and I hated all of those too so maybe that's the difference in our experiences?

BTW what do you set your follow distance at? I have mine set at 4 as I heard that makes it's behavior less jerky. Is there a better setting? I really want to like it and am willing to experiment or take suggestions.

I typically have mine at 1 if in stop-and-go traffic, but for normal highway usage I use 5-6. I'd rather me and the computer have more stoppage time. In general it's a feature that works well for me and I like it, but I hope it keeps improving.

I feel like there must be something wrong with my car (service disagrees) because I'm not thinking FSD is coming anytime soon based on how my car drives itself.

AP is much more stressful for me than not using it - which contradicts some very vocal Tesla fans - so I do not use it.. Aside from my issues with AP and ELDA, I think the cars are great to drive but I honestly can not say my experience shows AP to be safer than an attentive driver pretty much anywhere :(

Yes, AP on divided highways as required regardless of it offering up nearly everywhere I go

Yes, attentive drivers may sadly be in the minority

I wish this was not my experience. AP is fun to show off when you give a friend a first ride but day to day not so much for me

I feel like there must be something wrong with my car (service disagrees) because I'm not thinking FSD is coming anytime soon based on how my car drives itself.

Unless your car has HW3 and is running the much larger and more complex NNs written for HW3 but not yet released to the public, then how your car performs on AP doesn't really tell you much about how it'll do under FSD.