Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lock out for speeding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another annoying Autopilot update in a recent update (to add to enforced auto beams and wipers)…

I got locked out of autopilot twice on a two hour journey for exceeding the autopilot speed limit on the motorway. I think autopilot is limited to 85 which is generally fine, but occasionally I need to intervene with the accelerator when it’s taking too long to accelerate after slowing down for whatever reason. It seems the car happily accelerates beyond the limit then all hell breaks loose with beeping and warning on display before autopilot cuts out and locks out until the car is parked and started again.

I’ve been locked out for bad behaviour once previously in three years ownership, so something has definitely changed in a recent update. Perhaps Teslavision related.

Very annoying!

Another annoying Autopilot update in a recent update (to add to enforced auto beams and wipers)…

I got locked out of autopilot twice on a two hour journey for exceeding the autopilot speed limit on the motorway. I think autopilot is limited to 85 which is generally fine, but occasionally I need to intervene with the accelerator when it’s taking too long to accelerate after slowing down for whatever reason. It seems the car happily accelerates beyond the limit then all hell breaks loose with beeping and warning on display before autopilot cuts out and locks out until the car is parked and started again.

I’ve been locked out for bad behaviour once previously in three years ownership, so something has definitely changed in a recent update. Perhaps Teslavision related.

Very annoying!

“Autopilot Jail” for speeding has been there for years. If you plan on accelerating above 85 MPH to pass someone, turn off Autopilot first. The only thing that has changed is the limit, which was 90 MPH with radar and is now 85 MPH with vision.

…and on mine at least you don’t have to stop and turn off to get off the naughty step. Just knock it into park at the next traffic lights then back to drive. Seems to reset it and give you back AP.