Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot not detecting speed change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that GPS or road sign data can spook the cruise control commands and i have been in many situations where i was doing 100KPH on the high way with CC activated and it dropped to 40 because it thought i was driving on a side low speed limit road... almost made us have a collision and everyone (including the kids) woke up violently. I hate AP and the fact that you cannot overide any features...
What are you talking about? Never heard of this issue.

I am simply talking about the camera reading the speed limit sign correctly and showing the limit, and then reading the TRUCK speed limit sigh that comes after the main sign and replacing the current speed limit info with the truck limit even though I am not driving a truck. It's a bug. It also reads the trailer limit signs and shows that speed. If I am on a limited access highway it can be debilitating. Everyone is trying to drive the 70 MPH limit and my car won't let me use AP w/o it driving as if the limit is 55 MPH

2020 Model S Long Range Plus. Most of the time reading signs works okay. However. . .
There is ONE ROAD, which runs from my little town to the next little town over, about 35 miles, where my car refuses to "see" any 75 MPH signs. It sees the various speed zone signs up to 60 MPH just fine, but as soon as I get to the 75 zone it continues to insist the limit is 60. That's going either direction. That's also when I pull off the highway onto a side (county) road and then return onto the main highway. Still 60.

There's obviously something in the map data (Google??) that is overriding the sensors and insisting that this highway's maximum speed is 60. I think this may be related to road construction, since the entire highway was resurfaced and widened recently. That's been completed months ago, but some kind of software flag may have never been cleared from the map data. And it's highly annoying, because it means I can't set Autopilot above 65, which means I would have other cars flying past me doing 75–80.

that for some reason Mobileye hasn't licensed to Tesla
Nobody has any idea if this is the reason. All we know is that Mobileye has a patent that covers reading ALL road signs (yes, stop signs too, so how is Tesla doing traffic control detection?). And that's just one of about 5000 patents Mobileye has in this space.

We have no idea if this is blocking Tesla, has already been licensed, etc. Licensing is not public. It's all a theory the community has from knowing the Mobileye patent exists.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
All we know is that Mobileye has a patent that covers reading ALL road signs (yes, stop signs too
I'd love to understand this better. If I take a selfie next to a stop sign am I technically violating the patent? If I look at it while driving as a stop sign and interpret it as a vehicle stop sign, is that a violation?

Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment. I would have guessed the patent is on HOW the image is interpreted, not that a pic was taken. something proprietary.. I'll bet I could write such a module to interpret a stop sign pic from scratch that which would have nothing in common with Tesla/Mibileye code. Given years of expert vehicle coders and FSD, this sounds like one of the easier (relatively speaking) functions.

Not trolling - serious question.

Patents are public, read it yerself! But yes, patents are often for just the idea of doing something, not the complex method, and this is often a complaint about software patents and how they stifle innovation. This one is specific to a machine mounted on a vehicle, so you're safe when you take a selfie ;)