Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I picked up Model S not too long ago (two weeks ago to be exact!) and so far it's been amazing! I'm still learning and getting accustomed to how the car works so forgive me if I sound like a total noob.

When I was building my Model S, I opted for the $5,000 Enhanced Auto Pilot option and the sales guy told me that the my car would be produced with the Auto Pilot software already installed. Now that I have my car, I can't seem to activate Auto Pilot. I tried looking for instructions in my Owner's Manuel and I even looked up YouTube tutorials, but there isn't even the option for Auto Pilot or Auto Steer when I go into my Settings. I'm pretty confused by this and starting to get irritated that I might have paid $5,000 for no reason?

Please help?!

I don't know if there is an easy way to break this to you, but the autopilot SW is not installed. You do have the autopilot HW so don't panic.

What you should expect is to receive the AP software incrementally where you get a few features every month or two. Expect the first significant one within the next 2-3 weeks or so.

It might not be what you expected, but I promise that it will be exciting. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Your car does not have the software to support these features. At this point, it is unclear when it will. Some on this forum will come out with guesses, but hey are just that : guesses. Contant your sales person or service center for more information. Unfortunately they too won't really be able to help you and give you a firmer timeline on when those features will arrive. But at least they can report your feedback to the corporate level.

Hi everyone,

I picked up Model S not too long ago (two weeks ago to be exact!) and so far it's been amazing! I'm still learning and getting accustomed to how the car works so forgive me if I sound like a total noob.

When I was building my Model S, I opted for the $5,000 Enhanced Auto Pilot option and the sales guy told me that the my car would be produced with the Auto Pilot software already installed. Now that I have my car, I can't seem to activate Auto Pilot. I tried looking for instructions in my Owner's Manuel and I even looked up YouTube tutorials, but there isn't even the option for Auto Pilot or Auto Steer when I go into my Settings. I'm pretty confused by this and starting to get irritated that I might have paid $5,000 for no reason?

Please help?!

@eeeimaj - I picked up my S a week ago and got the same impression. I got the update 2 days ago and I am still waiting for it to be operational. It will take little more time for the cameras to be calibrated. Once the software is installed, you should be able to use it after the cameras are calibrated. Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
@eeeimaj - I picked up my S a week ago and got the same impression. I got the update 2 days ago and I am still waiting for it to be operational. It will take little more time for the cameras to be calibrated. Once the software is installed, you should be able to use it after the cameras are calibrated. Hope this helps.

Just be aware that there is a bug with that update that might prevent the cameras from being calibrated.

I recently swapped out my p90d for a p100d as well and was expecting, as promised by Musk, that the first autopilot features would be released at the end of 2016 or the first week of 2017, but here we are rolling into the second week of 2017 and no updates, no features.

And, is anybody else irritated that Tesla restricts your reverse speed to 16mph? I mean, it truly sucks to drop down 160K for a machine and then have those kind of restrictions imposed by the maker. It will be good for all when alternative car makers come up with high performance all electrics (like faraday) just to keep Tesla on its toes and not thinking it knows best what driving characteristics we need or not.

The first round of Autopilot functionality rolled out to 1,000 cars last week, including full TACC and a 35 mph limited-speed Autosteer.

According to Musk's tweet this morning, a new firmware release is being rolled out tomorrow (Monday) that will:
  1. Add the Ludicrous speed improvement
  2. Update all AP 2.0 cars beyond the first 1,000 to run in "shadow mode" (meaning that they have AP watching, but not actually driving)
  3. Improve AP 1.0 Autopilot
  4. Shadow mode cars will switch to active at the "end of the week."
  5. Once data is received from the entire fleet, then that Autosteer speed restriction will be removed.

The first round of Autopilot functionality rolled out to 1,000 cars last week, including full TACC and a 35 mph limited-speed Autosteer.

According to Musk's tweet this morning, a new firmware release is being rolled out tomorrow (Monday) that will:
  1. Add the Ludicrous speed improvement
  2. Update all AP 2.0 cars beyond the first 1,000 to run in "shadow mode" (meaning that they have AP watching, but not actually driving)
  3. Improve AP 1.0 Autopilot
  4. Shadow mode cars will switch to active at the "end of the week."
  5. Once data is received from the entire fleet, then that Autosteer speed restriction will be removed.
When you say "improve AP 1.0 autopilot", does that mean on new p100d's we will be able to run the old autopilot as I could in my p90d, and then it will get switched to AP 2.0? Or if you have an AP 2.0 capable car you will have to wait until end of week and you will get 2.0 with speed restriction, with elimination of speed restriction coming when they feel comfortable?

When you say "improve AP 1.0 autopilot", does that mean on new p100d's we will be able to run the old autopilot as I could in my p90d, and then it will get switched to AP 2.0? Or if you have an AP 2.0 capable car you will have to wait until end of week and you will get 2.0 with speed restriction, with elimination of speed restriction coming when they feel comfortable?

I understand the comment to apply to cars equipped with Autopilot 1.0 hardware.

2.0 cars will get TACC and limited autosteer the end of the week, as I read it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just be aware that there is a bug with that update that might prevent the cameras from being calibrated.
How do you know if the bug exists in your download? Mine installed last week and with auto steer turned on, when trying to engage AP it says "auto pilot not available while cameras are calibrating" .... there is no status on calibration tho

How do you know if the bug exists in your download? Mine installed last week and with auto steer turned on, when trying to engage AP it says "auto pilot not available while cameras are calibrating" .... there is no status on calibration tho

There is no definitive way of knowing. If it has the bug it simply stays stuck in the calibration regardless of how many hours you've driven it, and regardless of how many times you've driven it since the update.

There are likely people impacted by the bug who have no idea. Who are driving all over the place hoping the cameras calibrate.

There is no definitive way of knowing. If it has the bug it simply stays stuck in the calibration regardless of how many hours you've driven it, and regardless of how many times you've driven it since the update.

There are likely people impacted by the bug who have no idea. Who are driving all over the place hoping the cameras calibrate.

How do you know about this? Mine has been calibrating since I got it downloaded on Jan 1. Driven about 15 hours and 600 miles.... still calibrating. Is this bug something announced by tesla?

How do you know about this? Mine has been calibrating since I got it downloaded on Jan 1. Driven about 15 hours and 600 miles.... still calibrating. Is this bug something announced by tesla?

It's talked about on some thread on this forum, but I can't remember which thread it's on. There are a ton of threads on AP2.

I wouldn't worry about it though. According to Elon's twitter they're going to release an update today (or at least supposedly today). So I expect your issue will be resolved by the end of the week.

Last edited:

AP1 relies on Mobileye hardware and software IP. AP2 uses an unrelated NVidia processing stack, and a new DNN being developed by Tesla themselves.

AP2 cars cannot use the Mobileye based technology - they don't have the processor for it, and it would be a license violation to use it if they did.

AP1 hardware is much more limited (the NVidia process has 40x the capacity and watches feeds from 8 cameras,) and once Tesla gets the DNN sorted out, it'll be much more capable.

Reactions: TrafficEng
It's talked about on some thread on this forum, but I can't remember which thread it's on. There are a ton of threads on AP2.

I wouldn't worry about it though. According to Elon's twitter they're going to release an update today (or at least supposedly today). So I expect your issue will be resolved by the end of the week.

Thanks for info... I thought something was weird. Bummer... hopefully resolved with the update today.....