Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - Overreacts to vehicles crossing path

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using the enhanced autopilot and a vehicle crosses the street (more than 2000 feet ahead) my vehicle slows very rapidly and then resumes safe speed.

The system is overreacting as the vehicle crossing my vehicle's path is so far away that no action should be taken.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

What kind of roads are you driving on? Local streets? if so it's kind of out of the recommended use case for EAP.
2000' is over 1/3 of a mile. I'm skeptical that the system would respond to anything that far away. 200' maybe?

Reactions: TomB985
It is in the manual. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death.

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may occasionally cause Model 3 to brake when not required or when you are not expecting it. This can be caused by closely following a vehicle ahead, detecting vehicles or objects in adjacent lanes (especially on curves), etc.

The car unfortunately doesn't seem to predict anything. It just sees "that car is going slow as hell I better slow down." It can't realize that the car will not be going that speed by the time it arrives.

Technically EAP is only to be used on the highway, so you wouldn't come across this scenario, but I use it as much as possible.

Reactions: JohnnyZzzzz
It is in the manual. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death.

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may occasionally cause Model 3 to brake when not required or when you are not expecting it. This can be caused by closely following a vehicle ahead, detecting vehicles or objects in adjacent lanes (especially on curves), etc.

It actually has been showing pedestrians, bicyclists, and detecting construction zones. Unless they deactivate it for city streets, I'll still use it as much as possible. I won't depend on it of course because it certainly isn't ready for full self driving. I'm not even sold that it will ever be ready. I read the Lidar story which seems to be much more accurate and capable. But no Lidar coming for Tesla according to what I;ve read. I don't think radar provides enough information fast enough, and unless they dramatically improve the capabilities of the system to interpret what it is seeing visually (with only one front facing camera), I am not convinced that the statements made during the investor's call are accurate.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
So... you're complaining that a feature that explicitly says don't use it on local roads isn't working great on local roads....?

What they demoed at autonomy day is a completely different system from what your car is currently running. (different computer and vastly different software).

unless they dramatically improve the capabilities of the system to interpret what it is seeing visually (with only one front facing camera), I am not convinced that the statements made during the investor's call are accurate.

...uh, it has multiple forward facing cameras.

• Love
Reactions: Trevlan006
It actually has been showing pedestrians, bicyclists, and detecting construction zones. Unless they deactivate it for city streets, I'll still use it as much as possible. I won't depend on it of course because it certainly isn't ready for full self driving. I'm not even sold that it will ever be ready. I read the Lidar story which seems to be much more accurate and capable. But no Lidar coming for Tesla according to what I;ve read. I don't think radar provides enough information fast enough, and unless they dramatically improve the capabilities of the system to interpret what it is seeing visually (with only one front facing camera), I am not convinced that the statements made during the investor's call are accurate.

While it does show those things on the screen it does not mean the current software will properly react to them. The software is improving all the time, but until Tesla says it is ready for surface streets, don't expect it to work without error. They don't stop you from turning it on, but be extra vigilant if you decide to use AP where Tesla says it is not ready to be used.

The demo you are referring to was using software that is not currently in our cars. Elon says possibly by end of year, and hands free sometime first half of next year. Those times are likely optimistic EST (Elon Standard Time).

The current software and computer are running the cameras at a lower resolution and slower frame rate. The new FSD computer is capable of running them at full resolution and a much faster frame rate. We should see a marked improvement when that happens.

Last edited:
So... you're complaining that a feature that explicitly says don't use it on local roads isn't working great on local roads....?

What they demoed at autonomy day is a completely different system from what your car is currently running. (different computer and vastly different software).

...uh, it has multiple forward facing cameras.

Nobody is "complaining." These are observations, not complaints. Thanks for the reply...I had no idea I was buying old technology as I just picked up the car last week. Maybe I should return it and wait until the tech they shows on Autonomy Day is delivered?

Nobody is "complaining." These are observations, not complaints. Thanks for the reply...I had no idea I was buying old technology as I just picked up the car last week. Maybe I should return it and wait until the tech they shows on Autonomy Day is delivered?

Citing something as "overreacting" certainly sounds like a complaint about it.

It's not actually over-reacting- it's being put in a situation it's explicitly not meant to be used for and is not programmed to correctly respond to.

As to returning it- If it's less than 7 days you certainly have that option. The FSD features that deal with things like cross-traffic and local roads are supposed to be released by end of the year, so you may or may not end up paying more for it when you rebuy, and would certainly get less of a tax rebate.

Not sure how you couldn't not been aware of this stuff though given it was explained not just repeatedly during autonomy day, but repeatedly in the owners manual for the car, and the feature descriptions when your purchase AP and FSD, and in some of the warnings you have to click through to enable those features.

If it was new last week, then you probably have the latest hardware, unless the car was made before early April; even then, they would upgrade the computer for free later anyway if you paid for FSD.

However, even with the latest chip, for now it is running with the same restrictions as the old chip in customer cars until they release the new software (as shown at the demo day) later this year. The restrictions are just for compatibility with the old software for now.

Yes, it has happened to me many times (10+). I've almost been rear ended multiple times because of it. Purchased May 2018, so I have the "old" HW (I think that's 2.5?).

I can only recall 1x where it behaved as I would expect in this scenario - start by backing off the accelerator a noticable amount, then brake if really necessary.

Majority of instances are with just TACC enabled. There are many other unexpected braking problems I run into when I have EAP enabled.

Yes, it has happened to me many times (10+). I've almost been rear ended multiple times because of it. Purchased May 2018, so I have the "old" HW (I think that's 2.5?).

I can only recall 1x where it behaved as I would expect in this scenario - start by backing off the accelerator a noticable amount, then brake if really necessary.

Majority of instances are with just TACC enabled. There are many other unexpected braking problems I run into when I have EAP enabled.

Definitely an issue I hope is addressed soon. I understand the over-cautious approach to a certain extent as has been stated previously in this thread that the self-driving mode is meant for the highway and it's expected the vehicle is operating at greater speeds than city driving.

If you just got the car you probably have the updated FSD computer. The cars started having them in April. Even if you have the older 2.5 computer you'll get a free computer upgrade if you paid for the FSD option (required for what was in the demo).

Right now it is mainly the software that is limiting the self driving experience. The current software runs the same on the 2.5 (older) computer and the FSD (newer) computer. When what is demoed is ready for the public they'll send a software update your car and you'll get the features (provided you bought Full Self Driving). At that time they will also do a free computer update to the FSD one for anyone who has the 2.5 version and paid for FSD. The car you bought has all the hardware in it to do everything they demoed.