Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot problem after v10.0 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend 9/28-9/29, I drove approximately 900 miles and autopilot was wonderful, tracked extremely well in the middle of the lane, and made a long drive so easy. I got the v10.0 update Monday and Tuesday took a drive and was extremely displeased to find that autopilot had changed. The car was jerky, would not track steadily in the lane, would make random movements to the left or right. Has anybody else noticed this problem after this last major update? Who do I report the problem to? I'm hoping this will be fixed and quickly!

My auto pilot ran two people off the road yesterday when changing lanes. It didn't care if a car was there or not. V10 has definitely not been good.

Oh dear, that is not good! I don't use auto lane change, so haven't run anybody off the road. I have it set to my having to approve lane change. But a car jiggling around in a lane is not comfortable and is asking to be pulled over by police.

@boaterva No I haven't but I will try that. I don't keep up with all the post on this forum and didn't realize that was something that should be done after an update. First time I've had problems after an update.
It’s a good practice as for whatever reason it seems to clean up things by adding another start up of the software. You’d think the original reboot with the software load would be enough but many of us have had the added reboot fix weird things that we do it every time. It only takes a few minutes.

This is not what I'm seeing....

Just completed a 400 mile trip on interested 6 highways.

95% of this trip was on NOA.... And it worked flawless... I had only one intervention and no aborts. The intervention was only to change out of the left lane as the car was hiding the lane with traffic behind.

I’ll keep saying it for people that don’t mention it. Did you reboot the car after the firmware load? :D It really does help and can’t hurt.

Normal two scroll wheels reboot. Give it a try if you haven’t already.

I keep saying it because most people don’t have the problems mentioned.
Love people that disagree and can’t say why! :D

And can’t see why anyone can object to rebooting after a firmware load.

Reactions: jerseygirl18
It’s quite obvious updates do reboots.

It won’t make much difference or hurt. But don’t expect it to be a magic pill.
As I said it has made a difference for many people. The boot when the software is installed is not a reboot after it’s installed. If you don’t think a reboot ever fixes anything, fine, carry on.

Edit; and of course if you ever call Tesla the first thing they will have you do is reboot and then probably do a power off.

Last edited:
Had a near-flawless PHL-DC-PHL trip Sunday Oct 6 on 32.11.1 nearly entirely on EAP on AutoPilot 2.0. Really pleased - seemed like every quirk has been resolved:
  • No more "Head-fake" where car would drift right following right exit line, then jerk back when right lane line returned.
  • Reasonable handling for merges.
  • No more phantom braking at overpasses.
  • No more phantom braking when approaching trucks in adjacent lanes.
  • No more refusal to pass cars slowing down in the exit ramp.
  • Requested lane changes were well-executed.
In sum, nothing EAP did got my wife's or other passengers' attention. They did object to some of my actions when AutoPilot was disabled.

Did not use Navigate on AutoPilot.

We noticed that autopilot tends to float from side to side in the lane after the update. This behavior is not consistent with each autopilot activation, but it is irritating when it happens. It also seems like the car sticks too close to the lane divider in the center.

Had similar problems with my Autopilot yesterday. Although Summon worked excellent, yesterday. Up graded to latest 32.12.1 and now summons is not working right. Showing a friend how marvelous the new technology is, from my experience yesterday, the P100D of mine started out it's trip to me in similar fashion to yesterday. Car got to end of lane turning on it's blinker, then going away from me toward the parking lot exit. I waited, thinking it was making a maneuver, instead it turned toward exit and proceeded out on to a Main Street. Fortunately it was 4 am and no traffic. That was not nice but, it was worth a few laughs. HOPE that gets fixed SOON.

We are having the same issue after V10. Autopilot is jerking pretty hard primarily to the left. I let it play out and had to take control when it put me over the yellow line. Tried the reset and it seemed to work for the first trip today, but then later tonight it was back to being uncomfortably jerky. Reported to Tesla so hopefully we can figure out what the issue is.

On 2019 32.12.2 / Autopilot 2.0

EAP nearly flawless during PHL-DC-PHL trip on Saturday.

I enable Navigate on Autopilot, but do not let the car make lane changes on the road. Navigation will request a lane change, I evaluate and approve or disregard.

When I initiate a lane change, my only objection is that the car sometimes takes longer to execute than I would like.

I’ll keep saying it for people that don’t mention it. Did you reboot the car after the firmware load? :D It really does help and can’t hurt.

Normal two scroll wheels reboot. Give it a try if you haven’t already.

I keep saying it because most people don’t have the problems mentioned.
Are you suggesting doing the reboot 2 wheels after any update w/o any problems? Sounds like a smart thing to do

Are you suggesting doing the reboot 2 wheels after any update w/o any problems? Sounds like a smart thing to do
Yes. You have no idea what problems do or do not exist. And if you ever contact Tesla the first thing they will ask is ‘did you reboot it’ (and probably turn it off and on also, which some people also do).

Reactions: jerseygirl18