Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot should stop at red lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General question. I know FSD has all the features necessary. But this one issue I fine disappointing, that’s unless the vehicle is behind another it will not stop at a red light. The safest car on the planet (comments appreciate) should be given this ability.

It’s a safety thing!
I have had my MY for a month now, and still trying to figure out what AP (no FSD) will or will not do. The think I am most confused about is how AP/Traffic Aware Cruise Control does not change speed when moving from one speed limit zone to another. It will not speed up when going to a higher speed zone nor slow down when moving to a slower zone. I have to disengage then re-engage to change speed. The car recognizes the speed limit. AM I missing something?

I have had my MY for a month now, and still trying to figure out what AP (no FSD) will or will not do. The think I am most confused about is how AP/Traffic Aware Cruise Control does not change speed when moving from one speed limit zone to another. It will not speed up when going to a higher speed zone nor slow down when moving to a slower zone. I have to disengage then re-engage to change speed. The car recognizes the speed limit. AM I missing something?
Yes. Tap on the Speed Limit sign on the screen, and the car will adjust to the new speed limit (either to the speed limit exactly or with the configured offset, depending on how you have it set up).

It will not automatically adjust the speed limit on it's own, although sometimes it does when certain roads have "maximum allowable speeds." However, there is no need to turn on and off AP to get to the new speed. You could also use the dial on the right side of the steering wheel to manually adjust the speed.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yes. Tap on the Speed Limit sign on the screen, and the car will adjust to the new speed limit (either to the speed limit exactly or with the configured offset, depending on how you have it set up).

It will not automatically adjust the speed limit on it's own, although sometimes it does when certain roads have "maximum allowable speeds." However, there is no need to turn on and off AP to get to the new speed. You could also use the dial on the right side of the steering wheel to manually adjust the speed.
Thanks for this. Didn't find the "tap the screen" hint in the manual, but will give it a try!

If you want this feature, it is available to you. It is bundled into FSD.
If you don't want to buy FSD, then you will have to stop at red lights yourself.

That is really all there is to it
So you’re saying that it’s only important for those folks who purchase FSD to be able to stop at stoplights or stop signs, while folks like myself who are able to use TACC on city streets aren’t as safe around areas that the vehicle may need to stop but won’t because of a small detail.
You do recall I’m speaking about safety here?

So you’re saying that it’s only important for those folks who purchase FSD to be able to stop at stoplights or stop signs, while folks like myself who are able to use TACC on city streets aren’t as safe around areas that the vehicle may need to stop but won’t because of a small detail.
You do recall I’m speaking about safety here?

You can stop at stoplights and stop signs by pressing on the brake pedal. People like to couch "things they want, but dont want to pay for" into some other categories to try to justify them. There is no way, shape or form that the car automatically stopping at stopsigns is "safety", unless and until the human driver is no longer in control of the vehicle, and we are a loong way from that.

You can say "safety" as much as you want, but that doesnt make a feature you didnt get with your package a safety feature.

You can stop at stoplights and stop signs by pressing on the brake pedal. People like to couch "things they want, but dont want to pay for" into some other categories to try to justify them. There is no way, shape or form that the car automatically stopping at stopsigns is "safety", unless and until the human driver is no longer in control of the vehicle, and we are a loong way from that.

You can say "safety" as much as you want, but that doesnt make a feature you didnt get with your package a safety feature.

OP just wants something for nothing. PLUS just wants to hear people echo-chamber back at him.

Doesn’t want facts or reality just justification of his own wants. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread is that if you try to run a red light or stop sign on with basic autopilot on, you're going to know it. The car goes full panic mode... It also panics soon enough for you to hit the brakes and safely stop (definitely a hard stop but not hard enough to engage ABS)

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread is that if you try to run a red light or stop sign on with basic autopilot on, you're going to know it. The car goes full panic mode... It also panics soon enough for you to hit the brakes and safely stop (definitely a hard stop but not hard enough to engage ABS)
I guess I've never waited long enough for any of the notifications to tell me to stop at a red light.

I will say someone mentioned it earlier but you would think there would be more instructions on how to use Autopilot (what it will and won't do) I feel like every time I used it it's more of a 'okay, will it do this?' trial and error.

I guess I've never waited long enough for any of the notifications to tell me to stop at a red light.

I will say someone mentioned it earlier but you would think there would be more instructions on how to use Autopilot (what it will and won't do) I feel like every time I used it it's more of a 'okay, will it do this?' trial and error.
I tried it once in a "safe" location. It was a 4 way stop sign where I could clearly see in all directions and no one else was around. I'm assuming that it would do the same for a red light. It waits a long time, but definitely gives enough time to stop if you brake as soon as it sounds the alarm.

I agree, it would be nice to have a general guide of what it will do in certain situations.

1. It is a safety feature. Those arguing it is a convenience feature are missing the point that it is still a safety feature for when we have a lapse.
  2. Those of us that didn't pay for FSD shouldn't get the feature. After all, why would I pay if it was given? There is no rule that says safety features need to be included or free. The car meets the industry requirements.

Reactions: TunaBug