Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot slow for corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all had another question was hoping someone could clarify. On the model 3 in the UK does anyone know if autopilot will slow for corners if there is no speed limit sign posted? And if so what level of autopilot is required to get this functionality? Thanks in advance

TACC stopped slowing for corners for me ages ago. The only corners that it slows for are motorway interchanges ('fleet speed - see link') when it shows far too early and has a habit of increasing speed above speed limit when in 50mph motorway intersections. If TACC does slow after a corner I have not seen it. Once in a while I will let TACC control speed through a tighter corner (that I am very familiar with, when road conditions allow and with no incoming vehicles) just to see if behaviour has changed, but it never slows and continues to take the corner far too fast.

I don't use autosteer on non divided highways to know if autosteer would slow.

I end up dialling down speed on the steering scroll wheel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TACC stopped slowing for corners for me ages ago. The only corners that it slows for are motorway interchanges when it shows far too early and has a habit of increasing speed above speed limit when in 50mph motorway intersections. If TACC does slow after a corner I have not seen it. Once in a while I will let the car drive through a corner (that I am very familiar with and with no incoming vehicles) just to see if behaviour has changed, but it never slows and continues to take the corner far too fast.

I don't use autosteer on non divided highways to know if autosteer would slow.

I end up dialling down speed on the steering scroll wheel.
Same here I’ve tried Autopilot but a few things I’m uneasy about It follows car in front too closely even on max following distance. Also plonks itself in middle of lane but I prefer to try and keep out of trouble by keeping more to left on inside lane. Takes bends very fast and doesn’t cut the corner but keeps same distance to midline Perhaps I’m being a wuss and maybe I just need to trust it ….?

Upvote 0
Hi all had another question was hoping someone could clarify. On the model 3 in the UK does anyone know if autopilot will slow for corners if there is no speed limit sign posted? And if so what level of autopilot is required to get this functionality? Thanks in advance
What roads are you driving on using autopilot? This only comes up when driving on “unsupported” single carriageway roads so beware! You must take full responsibility for the risks you take. But the answer is yes sort of. Don’t rely on it because it will drop you in the sh*t.

Upvote 0
Same here I’ve tried Autopilot but a few things I’m uneasy about It follows car in front too closely even on max following distance. Also plonks itself in middle of lane but I prefer to try and keep out of trouble by keeping more to left on inside lane. Takes bends very fast and doesn’t cut the corner but keeps same distance to midline Perhaps I’m being a wuss and maybe I just need to trust it ….?
I wouldn’t trust it an inch!

Upvote 0
TACC slows for me on motorway bends when crossing another (the A48M crossing the M4 east out of Cardiff, the M48 crossing the M5 into Bristol are my most regular instances). It also does it, bizarrely, after leaving one motorway for another (on the straight A48M into Cardiff after leaving M4, when it's taken the offslio at set speed). I'm used to those, so I guard against it but it's dramatic slowing if you're doing 80. Knowing it might do it where I'm not so prepared is just another way in which TACC doesn't do the basic job of cruise control which is to make driving less stressful.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Upvote 0
I'm not allowed to use autopilot when the boss is in the car (she got through a lot of knickers before the prohibition) but the last few days I've been driving alone back and forth to visit her in hospital so have been able to drive the 150Km round trip in auto.
The lane keeping has improved dramatically, but the car doesn't look very far ahead so doesn't take a "comfortable" trajectory around bends as most drivers will - using the width of the lane to even out the turn. Lane changes are most uncomfortable - a sideways lunge which even a learner wouldn't make is the norm. And the odd phantom brake is still there - in fact today I had a full-blooded one, almost an attempted emergency stop for absolutely no reason.
As a toy, great: but don't trust it.

Reactions: skateboarder
Upvote 0
Interesting the number of different experiences here.

I use AP as often as road conditions allow and find it nearly faultless on dual carriageways and most A-roads, as well as in slow traffic. I'd agree with the 80% usage figure mentioned above.

I very rarely get phantom braking events and when it does happen it's normally pretty benign (once every 500 miles I would guess).

On twisty roads (where it's not supposed to be used) the lane positioning is unnerving, but I think mainly because I'm not driving at that point. If it was me holding the wheel and positioning the car in the centre I'm sure I'd feel fine.

TACC and AP certainly do slow for bends (and roundabouts when I have the space to put it to the test).

Upvote 0

I use AP as often as road conditions allow and find it nearly faultless on dual carriageways and most A-roads, as well as in slow traffic. I'd agree with the 80% usage figure mentioned above.

I very rarely get phantom braking events and when it does happen it's normally pretty benign (once every 500 miles I would guess).

On twisty roads (where it's not supposed to be used) the lane positioning is unnerving, but I think mainly because I'm not driving at that point. If it was me holding the wheel and positioning the car in the centre I'm sure I'd feel fine.

TACC and AP certainly do slow for bends (and roundabouts when I have the space to put it to the test).
Very similar, nearly every journey I have takes me on the M40, and I use FSD pretty soon after I've merged onto the road. It works just as I expect, keeps a safe distance, moves lanes safely etc. I do have a follow distance of 7, and really want to drive defensively.

I don't use it on regular roads, just motorways or dual carriage ways, mainly motorways due to where we live.

Upvote 0
Can someone confirm if TACC disengages when you change lane ? Read that autosteer does if you only have the basic autopilot but I assume TACC doesn't if you indicate and change lanes yourself?

I have ACC on my other car and it's great, if I indicate to change lanes it speeds up a touch but stays activated. I am not fussed about the autosteer but th cruise is important to me for my 200 mile round trips !

Upvote 0

Same here. Wonder if it’s specific car config/calibration, driver perception and/or roads travelled that lead to such polarising viewpoints?

Reactions: 15Peter20
Upvote 0
Can someone confirm if TACC disengages when you change lane ? Read that autosteer does if you only have the basic autopilot but I assume TACC doesn't if you indicate and change lanes yourself?

I have ACC on my other car and it's great, if I indicate to change lanes it speeds up a touch but stays activated. I am not fussed about the autosteer but th cruise is important to me for my 200 mile round trips !
TACC stays active until you cancel it via the stalk or brake pedal.

Works nicely IMO: indicate, turn the wheel and AP disengages with a lower steering wheel torque needed than if you didn't indicate. Re-engage AP at your leisure.

Upvote 0
Very similar, nearly every journey I have takes me on the M40, and I use FSD pretty soon after I've merged onto the road. It works just as I expect, keeps a safe distance, moves lanes safely etc. I do have a follow distance of 7, and really want to drive defensively.

I don't use it on regular roads, just motorways or dual carriage ways, mainly motorways due to where we live.
I've been trying smaller follow distances and my (totally subjective) perception is that it drives smoother with lower values. As winter starts to happen and road grip conditions fall I'm less keen on trying this though!

Upvote 0
I've been trying smaller follow distances and my (totally subjective) perception is that it drives smoother with lower values. As winter starts to happen and road grip conditions fall I'm less keen on trying this though!
Yes I tried 7 as the following distance but it seemed quite close so I cancelled it Just wondering if it is less than the keep 2 chevrons apart you on some motorways ...

Upvote 0