Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cabin Camera Unavailable" Kills FSD. AP Okay.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I think I figured out the problem.

The problem is the ssd that is attached to the usb for the dashcam. I’m using a Samsung T5 SSD. After removing it, the camera issues stopped happening. I think the drive was either full or corrupted. Need to check it out.

But for now I’m back in business.

Can you all try this out too and see if it worked?
That is great that worked for you! As it turns out I have the exact same SSD, though the issue predates it.

I did have a USB hub plugged in back in december however that I still use. Ill try without both!

I had one too! I’ll keep you posted if it comes back today
Got into the car after work today and instinctively went into service mode to find there were no frame drops. I removed the hub but kept the ssd in.

So far no issues, ill keep you informed as well how mine goes.

If this was the fix we collaboratively royally overcomplicated this. Also guessing my service center may have made the issue about the harness up.

I put in a service request for the hell of it, Tesla service wants to replace the cabin camera and run a low voltage integrity check for $700. Ordered a revised cabin camera (PN 1098383-00-G) for $50 off eBay to install myself, I'll take the gamble and see if that helps at all. Already pulled the mirror trim to check for any loose/pinched connections and found nothing of note. Unsure if this will fix the issue but at least it's only $50. Pro-tip, if you're looking for one of these cameras used try looking for the rear view mirror trim piece with the camera already installed, they seem to be going for $50-100 used while just the camera itself seems to be going for more than twice that on most listings.

Reactions: Cyber_Kars
I put in a service request for the hell of it, Tesla service wants to replace the cabin camera and run a low voltage integrity check for $700. Ordered a revised cabin camera (PN 1098383-00-G) for $50 off eBay to install myself, I'll take the gamble and see if that helps at all. Already pulled the mirror trim to check for any loose/pinched connections and found nothing of note. Unsure if this will fix the issue but at least it's only $50. Pro-tip, if you're looking for one of these cameras used try looking for the rear view mirror trim piece with the camera already installed, they seem to be going for $50-100 used while just the camera itself seems to be going for more than twice that on most listings.
Also recently have been seeing repeat left pillar camera failures too which completely kills AEB and regular Autopilot, I pulled the pillar trim and checked all connections and did not see any issues. Tesla service didn't include replacing this camera in their estimate for whatever reason, only the cabin camera.

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_032513486.jpg
    PXL_20240424_032513486.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 5
Aaaaand my camera died again. So there goes that theory. 😭

It did last longer before it errored out though. 🤔

I have a 2018 M3P with FSD and I have the same issue with the 'cabin camera unavailable' error killing FSD daily; sometimes even getting the additional 'autopilot cameras / emergency braking / visualization unavailable' errors as well. I saw your "fix" yesterday and gave it a shot by removing my thumb drive on my way to and from work. I definitely agree that it felt like it increased the time before eventual failure. My cabin camera error usually pops up within the first 5 minutes of driving, and I think I got close to 15 minutes before failure on my two drives. Seemed promising, but alas no luck.

I see no sign of any LEDs on my 2018 M3P, so I assume the revised camera is the one with the infrared LED emitters, correct? Does the updated trim piece include "windows" for the LEDs? Or is your suggestion for the combined trim+camera just based around ease of install?

I have a 2018 M3P with FSD and I have the same issue with the 'cabin camera unavailable' error killing FSD daily; sometimes even getting the additional 'autopilot cameras / emergency braking / visualization unavailable' errors as well. I saw your "fix" yesterday and gave it a shot by removing my thumb drive on my way to and from work. I definitely agree that it felt like it increased the time before eventual failure. My cabin camera error usually pops up within the first 5 minutes of driving, and I think I got close to 15 minutes before failure on my two drives. Seemed promising, but alas no luck.

I see no sign of any LEDs on my 2018 M3P, so I assume the revised camera is the one with the infrared LED emitters, correct? Does the updated trim piece include "windows" for the LEDs? Or is your suggestion for the combined trim+camera just based around ease of install?
Not sure on the infrared emitters but I will check when I get the part in. I just purchased the trim piece with the camera as it's way cheaper than just buying the camera itself. I also already have replaced my 2 repeater cameras as the turn signal bleed drove me nuts but even those drop frames occasionally and kill Autopilot... I hope at least replacing the cabin camera will make these errors much less frequent. We'll see.

I replaced mine already, it did not fix the issue. I fought them on it and my service center did a voltage test under the original diagnosis fee. $700 is steep to not fix the issue.