Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cabin Camera Unavailable" Kills FSD. AP Okay.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just today I got the same error in my 2018 P3D, right after installing FSD 12.3.4.
Cabin camera unavailable. It works fine streaming from the app.
Tried the computer reset, no luck— I guess we’ll see what happens when the car goes to sleep. In the meantime, no more FSD for me I guess.

Reactions: Cyber_Kars
Same problem as everyone else. Have a 2018 model 3 performance. The cabin camera issue didn’t affect the FSD before and now with this new updated it’s locked out. Not sure if it’s worth putting in a ticket for a new camera or wait till the next update.

I purchased a camera from ebay for $50...came off a 2018 model 3 (same as mine)...it was from a car that was totalled...i installed it...it worked for about 24hrs...then get the same error again. So, i do not think it is a camera issue...but at the same time I have the latest software and it still occurs
I did the same thing. Didnt work for me either. I reinstalled my old one. Waiting on 2024.8, if that doesnt fix it ill look into paying the $1200 for a harness replacement.

Just today I got the same error in my 2018 P3D, right after installing FSD 12.3.4.
Cabin camera unavailable. It works fine streaming from the app.
Tried the computer reset, no luck— I guess we’ll see what happens when the car goes to sleep. In the meantime, no more FSD for me I guess.
Have you verified the sentry mode cabin camera is functional while the error is active? Mine used to be viewable with the error but that is no longer the case.

Same problem as everyone else. Have a 2018 model 3 performance. The cabin camera issue didn’t affect the FSD before and now with this new updated it’s locked out. Not sure if it’s worth putting in a ticket for a new camera or wait till the next update.
Wait for 2024.8, someone in this thread(mentaltoast i believe) spoke with a service center technician who allegedly contacted a software engineer who said they are patching this out. Not worth the $600-$1200 in my opinion.

Yeah I am not paying $1200 to fix this issue if that is what needs to be done. There should be a recall or something for defective parts like this. I would probably consult some sort of lawyer and see what he thinks of it. I wonder how many of us are affected? My 2018 m3p only has 2k miles it’s not wear and tear for sure. It totally could have been replaced under warranty if I got access to FSD before it expired.

I have gotten this error when the car has been completely cold as well in the garage. So I don’t know if it’s activated by heat in my case.

I am crossing my fingers that 2024.8 fixes it. My family’s a non FSD Model Y just received 2024.8.7. So if they are supposedly sending all cars the FSD trail I’m hoping that it will be updated to the 2024.8 branch for the rest of us in a few weeks.

Just a thought are most of us with this problem HW3 retrofit cars? (Don’t know if this was asked before)
Do not pay!! Their firmware screwed up your car. Make them fix for free. If they don't call your local news & report them.

2024.3.15 update installed last night. Went for a drive today and AP disengaged on the highway with no related faults in the log, then after parking at my destination I got back in after a few minutes (sentry mode off) and all visualizations were unavailable... The cabin camera is the usual culprit but this time it was the left pillar camera. DAS reset always fixes the issue until one or more of the cameras decides to drop again. Patiently waiting for 2024.8.x to see if it fixes this... not very comfortable with the FSD trial so far considering it will completely disengage with zero notice whenever this happens while driving.
1000010455.jpg
1000010456.jpg

Now my autopilot isn’t working despite turning off FSD.

This is frustrating.

I go into service mode and reset the DAS but the problem with the cabin cam comes back within one drive.
Usually when that happens to me it's caused by one or more of the side cameras failing/dropping frames. Cabin camera just happens to be the most common camera to drop in my experience. Whenever any of the side cameras are lost it completely disables all forms of cruise control, automatic emergency braking, and any visualizations. With the car even just sitting overnight with Sentry mode on I will get "Sentry system error" notifications on my phone because a camera dropped. Eagerly awaiting the 2024.8 update to see if it fixes any of this...

The service mode doesn’t show the other cameras not working. Also, never had a pillar or side camera be an issue before this update.
Usually when that happens to me it's caused by one or more of the side cameras failing/dropping frames. Cabin camera just happens to be the most common camera to drop in my experience. Whenever any of the side cameras are lost it completely disables all forms of cruise control, automatic emergency braking, and any visualizations. With the car even just sitting overnight with Sentry mode on I will get "Sentry system error" notifications on my phone because a camera dropped. Eagerly awaiting the 2024.8 update to see if it fixes any of this...

It’s an annoying problem with intermittent cabin camera error. I have 2018 model 3 and been experiencing what others been complaining for awhile. At least past firmware, the cabin camera error would go away mid-drive and wouldn’t block fsd. But with firmware 2024.3.15, it’s persistent for the drive until car goes into sleep and temporarily fix it for next drive until problem start again.
I really like to see Tesla fix it with firmware instead of replacing hardware. Does anyone have an idea potentially when Tesla will roll out a fix for this?

Add me to the 2018 M3 club. It's been happening only with the cabin camera for about the last 6 months. Resetting DAS didn't help me. But then it will just randomly start working and stay working for about a month before cutting out again. Doesn't seem to correlate with any software pushes. The first time it happened I booked service using the phone app, and they scheduled me for the following morning at an SC hundreds of miles away. I asked why, when there are three SC's within a 40 mile radius of me. Never received a reply so I cancelled. I'm starting to believe it's more of a 2018 FSD CPU or CPU-retrofit hardware issue rather than a software bug, which would seem to have a wider gamut of model year owners screaming. Probably deemed too expensive for them to fix and they're just hoping we go away while pacifying us by saying a fix is imminent. The scant few reports I've seen from other model years that have posted may be due to a rare actual camera hardware failure.

Add me to the 2018 M3 club. It's been happening only with the cabin camera for about the last 6 months. Resetting DAS didn't help me. But then it will just randomly start working and stay working for about a month before cutting out again. Doesn't seem to correlate with any software pushes. The first time it happened I booked service using the phone app, and they scheduled me for the following morning at an SC hundreds of miles away. I asked why, when there are three SC's within a 40 mile radius of me. Never received a reply so I cancelled. I'm starting to believe it's more of a 2018 FSD CPU or CPU-retrofit hardware issue rather than a software bug, which would seem to have a wider gamut of model year owners screaming. Probably deemed too expensive for them to fix and they're just hoping we go away while pacifying us by saying a fix is imminent. The scant few reports I've seen from other model years that have posted may be due to a rare actual camera hardware failure.
The 2017s would have also been retrofitted with the same cameras as well as FSD computer.

My current theory is they forgot to account for something in a software update that applied specifically to how the hardware integrated in the 2018 model 3. Its an electrical resistence issue on one of the harnesses that run through the car alledgedly. Uping the amperage may resolve it over the air. This would explain the drops due to weather as well since temperature will effect electrical resistence.

It looks like cars on FSD 12(like my 2018 model 3) will not receive 2024.8, instead 2024.8 and 2024.3 will be merge in the 2024.14 spring update.

The other posts here I agree I freak hardware failures. Someone mentioned an infrared light inside their cabin camera for example.

It’s an annoying problem with intermittent cabin camera error. I have 2018 model 3 and been experiencing what others been complaining for awhile. At least past firmware, the cabin camera error would go away mid-drive and wouldn’t block fsd. But with firmware 2024.3.15, it’s persistent for the drive until car goes into sleep and temporarily fix it for next drive until problem start again.
I really like to see Tesla fix it with firmware instead of replacing hardware. Does anyone have an idea potentially when Tesla will roll out a fix for this?
The fix is in 2024.8 according to this forum. If you are on FSD 12 you will not get the fix until our 2024.3 branch merges with the prior in 2024.14

I have had my visualizations go out mid drive as well as my turn sigal stream.

However, my FSD continues to operate. (this started in the christmas update alongside the cabin camera drops that stop FSD for me)

I dont mind the camera stream not reaching the touch screen/MCU computer every so often but for the frames not to reach the FSD computer is a problem I would like fixed as soon as possible.

I have had my visualizations go out mid drive as well as my turn sigal stream.

However, my FSD continues to operate. (this started in the christmas update alongside the cabin camera drops that stop FSD for me)

I dont mind the camera stream not reaching the touch screen/MCU computer every so often but for the frames not to reach the FSD computer is a problem I would like fixed as soon as possible.
What you are describing sounds different however.

Guys I think I figured out the problem.

The problem is the ssd that is attached to the usb for the dashcam. I’m using a Samsung T5 SSD. After removing it, the camera issues stopped happening. I think the drive was either full or corrupted. Need to check it out.

But for now I’m back in business.

Can you all try this out too and see if it worked?