Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.26.11 released — cabin camera, FSD Beta for Vision-based cars, other improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 MY is installing this update now. Looks like some significant improvements. Release notes here:

It looks like this will introduce FSD Beta and attention monitoring via the cabin-based camera (rather than torque sensor on the steering wheel?), among other things.

Summary list:
  • Cabin Camera
  • FSD Beta 11.4.4
  • Driving Visualization Improvements
  • FSD Beta Suspension logic
  • Blind Spot Camera positioning
  • Customize the scroll wheel
  • Nav Destination closing soon
  • Spotify Refresh
  • Bluetooth Game Controllers
  • Warmer display colors
  • Automatic headlights w/ wipers
  • Charge on solar controls
  • Camera view from Tesla app
  • Auto-lowing of HVAC when on a phone call

It's a little confusing reading these release notes because they describe some things my car already has with version 2023.20.100.1 — like customizing the scroll wheel and repositioning the blind spot camera. Not sure I understand that.

Reactions: fsb1
Did a drive to Costco with the new software, and used FSD Beta for the first time. First thing I noticed is that the car's visualization of its environment is way, way more detailed than before. Rendering many cars off into the distance, tons more detail when it comes to curbs and lanes...it's pretty impressive. Even at complex intersections with lots of cars around, it was rendering most vehicles around me, and it was rendering the cross-traffic smoothly even when it didn't have direct line of sight to the crossing car because of another vehicle in front of me. Clearly using algorithms to extrapolate the path of a vehicle even when it can't see it. Also noticed it renders others cars' shapes more accurately, and it detects/renders their brake lights.

Way more detail and handling a complex intersection with 7+ lanes and cross traffic:

IMG_1337.jpeg

Rendering cars far off into the distance in a parking lot:
IMG_1333.jpeg

Lots more detail with lanes, medians, and road markings:
IMG_1336.jpeg

FSD Beta itself was alternately impressive and terrifying on the short 3.5 mile drive. It did some things really well...and some things really, really not well. Like slamming on the brakes coming up to a roundabout when it had plenty of clearance (the next car to my left hadn't even quite entered the roundabout yet), and then reversing a couple feet. WTF?

Reactions: fsb1
attention monitoring via the cabin-based camera (rather than torque sensor on the steering wheel?)

If it’s like FSD beta has been, the cabin-based camera is in addition to steering wheel torque monitoring, not instead of. In my opinion the nags are worse when using FSD beta, so I hope they aren’t enabling camera monitoring even for standard Autopilot. When using FSD beta, I feel like I can barely even look at the screen for navigation directions or something without it yelling at me.

If it’s like FSD beta has been, the cabin-based camera is in addition to steering wheel torque monitoring, not instead of. In my opinion the nags are worse when using FSD beta, so I hope they aren’t enabling camera monitoring even for standard Autopilot. When using FSD beta, I feel like I can barely even look at the screen for navigation directions or something without it yelling at me.
Yes I think you are right. When I was trying out FSD Beta the other day, I felt like I got more nags, not less. And it did seem to happen whenever I looked at the screen for more than 2 seconds. Very annoying.

It appears in the pictures that the visualization now takes up even more of the screen. Is that true? For me, the visualization is more annoyance than help except in parking where my USS suite lights up the display with distance to impact shown around the car. Not sure a larger visualization is the way to go, at least not at L2.