Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot through highway 17 to Santa Cruz!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my Model3 using Autopilot through highway 17 to Santa Cruz!
It went through the winding roads of 17 so smoothly.

We got our car in October 2018 and auto pilot was uncomfortable to take on the 280 back then. Any slight turn and it would over break. I’m impressed with how much a auto pilot has improved - to the point of handling highway 17 with no issues.

I took a little video of the Model3 handing the turns like butter! https://www.instagram.com/greentesla3/p/BwxP-RGHg6-/

Can you put it on Youtube? I cannot adjust the sound or rewind using Instagram.
Best would be to see also the central display with the map and the speed,
and see you hands making or not any correction.

I video isn’t wide enough to see the center display, see my hands, and see outside. I do pan to the center display at times throughout the video. I probably would need someone filming in the back seat for that. I can probably make one like that in the future the next time I go through highway 17.

I video isn’t wide enough to see the center display, see my hands, and see outside. I do pan to the center display at times throughout the video. I probably would need someone filming in the back seat for that. I can probably make one like that in the future the next time I go through highway 17.
Please have someone in the car with you to make a video so that you can keep your hands on the wheel, for your safety and for the safety of those around you.

I have driven Hwy 17 several times in my 3. I agree with you that until recently AP could not properly handle many of those curves, and I didn’t use AP based on how I knew it did based on trying it on other curvy roads.

I still don’t use AP on 17 due to the volume of traffic and the lack of medians and shoulders. I don’t think it’s really ready for it though it certainly has improved dramatically in the past few months.

Last edited:
Please have someone in the car with you to make a video so that you can keep your hands on the wheel, for your safety and for the safety of those around you.

I have driven Hwy 17 several times in my 3. I agree with you that until recently AP could not properly handle many of those curves, and I didn’t use AP based on how I knew it did based on trying it on other curvy roads.

I still don’t use AP on 17 due to the volume of traffic and the lack of medians and shoulders. I don’t think it’s really ready for it though it certainly has improved dramatically in the past few months.

To clarify I would have someone else in the back seat if I were to film as Watts_Up requested. I had my wife film from the passenger seats for the posted video above. My hands were pretty heavy on the steering wheel just encase I needed to take over, but it went great. Even in sections without a center divider.

I wonder when it’ll be Yosemite mountain ready. Can’t wait for level 5 AP campers someday. :)

Can you put it on Youtube? I cannot adjust the sound or rewind using Instagram.
Best would be to see also the central display with the map and the speed,
and see you hands making or not any correction.

Here is the same video where you can go back and rewind. https://www.instagram.com/tv/BwxOkwYnYnP/. is there anything specifically you’re looking for? I can go through the unedited clip. As for my hands, there are always on the wheel so you can’t necessarily see if my if I’m making corrections, but you would probably be able to hear the AP disengage if I were to take over.

If you’re nearby I’m happy to drive highway 17 if you’re willing to film :)

Took my Model3 using Autopilot through highway 17 to Santa Cruz!
It went through the winding roads of 17 so smoothly.

We got our car in October 2018 and auto pilot was uncomfortable to take on the 280 back then. Any slight turn and it would over break. I’m impressed with how much a auto pilot has improved - to the point of handling highway 17 with no issues.

I took a little video of the Model3 handing the turns like butter! https://www.instagram.com/greentesla3/p/BwxP-RGHg6-/

Super helpful thanks! The wife and I make that trip like 3 times a year so this was great to see.

Reactions: MatteGreen
To clarify I would have someone else in the back seat if I were to film as Watts_Up requested. I had my wife film from the passenger seats for the posted video above. My hands were pretty heavy on the steering wheel just encase I needed to take over, but it went great.
Thanks, glad to hear it! :D

I wonder when it’ll be Yosemite mountain ready. Can’t wait for level 5 AP campers someday. :)
I think we are many years away from that level of AP capability. Right now when towing AP is disabled. TACC is available however.

My God !!! The ultimate Autopilot test ! Sorry, I just don't have the cajones (sp) for it - let alone dealing with a camera.

Definitely a replacement for that morning latte. Always thought using a film of hwy 17 sped up would make a good Sensurround video at an amusement park.

I video isn’t wide enough to see the center display, see my hands, and see outside.
I do pan to the center display at times throughout the video.
I probably would need someone filming in the back seat for that.
I can probably make one like that in the future the next time I go through highway 17.
Thank you for the update using a regular display control.
It's nicer to be able to stop and control the sound volume.
Otherwise when clicking on the image, the video was starting again from the beginning.
I was interested stopping at the instant where the camera was showing the speed and the map

Great video and interesting knowing that EAP can handle the numerous curbs.
I wonder what speed limit did you set an distance from other cars?

I haven't drove yet on hwy 17 since I have the Model 3 because it would have always been at a bad time.
I would recommend to always check the traffic, beside waze the Highway 17 Commuters can be useful.

I always seen accidents, in particular there is a needle when going up toward Santa Cruz where I quite often
saw a semi trailer overturned on de side. I guess the driver was not able to take a wide enough turn and the
rear wheels of the trailer hit the curb and unbalanced the whole truck.

To avoid getting stuck in the traffic, I prefer use the hwy 92 by San Mateo, because PCH 1 is very scenic.
However I would not recommend driving during a storm along the Pacific. This happen to me last winter,
and those 50 miles were like been inside a boat in middle of the ocean during a tornado.

There are also some interesting driving sites around the Castle Rock State Park on Skyline Blvd hwy 35.
In particular, if you are not in a rush, there are some wineries, such as the Byington Vineyard and Winery.

To go back to your video, I believe that you used a smartphone, but using a stand clamped under the glass roof
might provide a larger angle view. I think this is the way Bjørn Nyland records his trips.

I don't know if you did so, but I would strongly installing a dashcam with front and rear recording.
I installed mine in few minutes. I didn't removed any panel so some of the wires can be visible,
but I wanted to be able to remove it easily.