Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you even try to use autopilot on CA17 to Santa Cruz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I am not a Tesla owner, nor do I envision myself as one at this moment.

Question: I’ve heard a lot about the driver assist features of various Tesla cars. But are there roads you wouldn’t even consider using any of it? I give as an example California highway 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz. It climbs to about 1800’ between the two towns, and has a winding, at times a bit steep, 4-lane (2 in each direction) highway. Mostly separated by a 4-5’ concrete barrier - but sometimes (at the summit) nothing. Would the Tesla autopilot be useless or unwise on such a road? I’m not referring to a driver who incorrectly takes their hand off the wheel or ignored things. I mean, would a fully-aware and properly-using-the-system driver gain any benefit from it under these conditions?

Reactions: Terminator857
Same. Roads like that are generally no problem for Tesla’s normal autopilot. Roads that generally have more issues are windy turns with street signs that drop to 15 MPH, or lane merges/lane splits. I’ve gone over 40 miles on PCH (CA route 1) without disengaging autopilot, windy and along cliffs.

Google and you'll find people have been using AP on 17 for years. YouTube has videos. AP is great when heading back over the hill and we're caught in beach traffic.

Disclaimer: I am not a Tesla owner, nor do I envision myself as one at this moment.

Question: I’ve heard a lot about the driver assist features of various Tesla cars. But are there roads you wouldn’t even consider using any of it? I give as an example California highway 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz. It climbs to about 1800’ between the two towns, and has a winding, at times a bit steep, 4-lane (2 in each direction) highway. Mostly separated by a 4-5’ concrete barrier - but sometimes (at the summit) nothing. Would the Tesla autopilot be useless or unwise on such a road? I’m not referring to a driver who incorrectly takes their hand off the wheel or ignored things. I mean, would a fully-aware and properly-using-the-system driver gain any benefit from it under these conditions?

Yes, it was a good AP test years ago. Now it's expected and a non-issue.

Nice, that is a great test.

Reactions: buckets0fun

Maybe this is my age (I am 54) showing, but I cant for the life of me understand why someone would search out and create an account on a website for a specific car manufacturer and create a thread on car features, when not only are they not an owner, but are not even considering it.

I happen to be a fan / collector of japanese anime. This would be like someone going to a big website about anime and saying something like:

"disclaimer, I dont watch any animated shows at all, and dont see myself doing so in the future. Whats the deal with the big eyed characters in japanese anime?" Or something like that. If there isnt any interest in the subject, I dont get creating an account and posting about it.

shrug.

Last edited:
Maybe this is my age (I am 54) showing, but I cant for the life of me understand why someone would search out and create an account on a website for a specific car manufacturer and create a thread on car features, when not only are they not an owner, but are not even considering it.

I happen to be a fan / collector of japanese anime. This would be like someone going to a big website about anime and saying something like:

"disclaimer, I dont watch any animated shows at all, and dont see myself doing so in the future. Whats the deal with the big eyed characters in japanese anime?" Or something like that. If there isnt any interest in the subject, I dont get creating an account and posting about it.

shrug.

Disclaimer... other than the obvious one, of course... to "get discussion going" as it were.

Did it both ways this summer on NOA. No major incidents, and as far as I remember no disengagements either. 2020 M3LR-AWD w/FSD
At some point, they neutered it so it would stop trying to hump the center barrier. It still gets a little closer than I'd like at times, but it is mostly okay.

It's Hecker Pass and Old Santa Cruz Highway that are the nightmare roads for Autopilot. :D

You think OP is coming back to acknowledge AP has been working for years?

This was likely triggered by Tesla's imminent release of FSDbeta 10.2. Trolls try to counter by desperately whipping up some more FUD, however, I don't think they get paid that much (~$0.50/post) so it's all going to be low effort.

Disclaimer... other than the obvious one, of course... to "get discussion going" as it were.

shrug.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
At some point, they neutered it so it would stop trying to hump the center barrier. It still gets a little closer than I'd like at times, but it is mostly okay.

It's Hecker Pass and Old Santa Cruz Highway that are the nightmare roads for Autopilot. :D

The real nightmare is all the drivers with those artsy "Santa Cruz" stickers on their cars. Tesla should train their NN to identify these drivers and keep a good distance from them:

s-l400.jpg

Reactions: mostvisited
Have done i17 with AP. I do disengage occasionally. It is fun. Funner than driving without AP.

shrug.
As a moderator , I would expect you to do more to welcome people to the Tesla community rather than to try to push them away. . Since the OP is here and posting they are obviously interested in Tesla and considering one for purchase although as they state, not in the near term. It is a high priced car market and many are sitting on the sideline waiting for supply to match demand.

Reactions: jiehan and AlexHung
Have done i17 with AP. I do disengage occasionally. It is fun. Funner than driving without AP.

As a moderator , I would expect you to do more to welcome people to the Tesla community rather than to try to push them away. . Since the OP is here and posting they are obviously interested in Tesla and considering one for purchase although as they state, not in the near term. It is a high priced car market and many are sitting on the sideline waiting for supply to match demand.

The statement they themselves made at the beginning of their post disagrees with your statement:

Thats pretty definitive that "I dont own one, nor do I see myself in one".

I also dont think my post was "pushing anyone away". It would have been a lot more aggressive if so. To repeat, I said "I didnt understand, maybe its my age", as to why someone who "didnt envision themselves owning the product" would seek out a website dedicated to said product and post questions about usage of it.

Even in disagreeing with me, you state "they are here and posting so they must be interested" but they didnt say that, and thats the thing I didnt understand. The high priced car market doesnt have a lot to do with the usage of FSD/ Autopilot, though, and even if that were the case, the first statement would not have been "I dont see myself in one".

With all that being said, I disagree with @mark95476 that this is some sort of troll post, because no one who was trolling would ever open with "I dont see myself buying this thing".

Thus, my confusion.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Naaaahhhh... Just drop some bait, it doesn't even have to be good, and let people chime in to "get the discussion going". Hopefully someone with a legit beef and not just a sock or meat-puppet.

This opening sounds similar, no? ;)

"Although realistically I'm very far off from getting a Tesla, I'm trying to avoid letting the awesomeness of these cars make me ignore any downsides when thinking about them. So hypothetically, if you HAD to convince someone not to get one, what would you tell them?"

With all that being said, I disagree with @mark95476 that this is some sort of troll post, because no one who was trolling would ever open with "I dont see myself buying this thing".

Thus, my confusion.

Naaaahhhh... Just drop some bait, it doesn't even have to be good, and let people chime in to "get the discussion going". Hopefully someone with a legit beef and not just a sock or meat-puppet.

This opening sounds similar, no? ;)

"Although realistically I'm very far off from getting a Tesla, I'm trying to avoid letting the awesomeness of these cars make me ignore any downsides when thinking about them. So hypothetically, if you HAD to convince someone not to get one, what would you tell them?"

The post you quoted above is definitely much more trollish. I personally find it different than this one, for whatever thats worth (which isnt much). This one asks about a specific road for use of autopilot, which makes a lot of sense actually, if one was actually shopping for the car. The one you quoted is a basic troll post (or couched to "get discussion going").

Mark is an interesting character as perhaps I am. He is quick to see evil and good, where I tend to see more good. Mark thinks the forum the forum is full of teslaq people where as I don't think so. I see people asking honest questions, posting legitimate grievances, and being appropriately pessimistic on Elon's FSD hype. I think the forum should assume good faith unless proven otherwise.

The fine TSLAQ folks have lost all of their credibility and a lot of money over the years and still can't accept reality. They've been reduced to trolling anonymous forums and social media for whatever little they can. It's stale and we've heard it all before over the years.

Unfortunately, this is reality and it's been exceptionally painful for the doubters.

I remember when that factory was a muddy field.

Mark is an interesting character as perhaps I am. He is quick to see evil and good, where I tend to see more good. Mark thinks the forum the forum is full of teslaq people where as I don't think so. I see people asking honest questions, posting legitimate grievances, and being appropriately pessimistic on Elon's FSD hype. I think the forum should assume good faith unless proven otherwise.