Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot tried to kill me. Again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This time I was cruising down the freeway at 70mph when a car turned on his signal to merge into my lane. He was on the on ramp. All of a sudden my Y did some extreme braking thinking we were going collide. It was not even close for a human but the computer freaked out. I decelerated so quickly I almost got hit from behind but I was ready (because of phantom braking in the past, I now keep my foot on the throttle ready to go) and jammed my foot down on the throttle and over rode the system. Not as scary as a 737 MAX fighting the pilot but close enough for me. I am seriously regretting buying the FSD option. These cars are a long way from a true self drive experience. In fact I will say on record right now until all cars on the road have FSD, it will never work completely. Too many human variables in regular cars that the computer cannot understand .

I tried the 90-day "trial" that came with the car. Nope, not for me. Wandered down a straight highway stretch, going from left markers to right markers. Phantom braked twice in one day, no traffic, but confused by an overpass/shadow.

Too many variables. I was MORE nervous driving in FSD than driving myself, which I enjoy immensely.

Reactions: polyphonic54
It's great on long trips but I don't use it around town - I've always enjoyed driving. It's the long stretches of open highway where it shines, with the promise of better future performance.
I agree completely. We just completed a long road trip, about 1000 miles one way (two full days of driving), and I was about to drive the whole way by mysel (Typically I would need my wife to take over for me to take one short break in a day). With auto steering, the car is able to maintain speed (and slowing down) and change lanes (directed by turning the signal) as needed.

Wimps. 🤣 🤣 I just completed a 2500 mile r/t, solo, Ft Worth to Bradenton FL. 27 hours each way. Stopped every 110-170 miles to recharge, walk my Mini Aussie, bathroom break, eat, take a quick power-nap. Arrived refreshed at both ends.

Even on the open road, I like to drive my car. I like to feel responsible for its actions. The few miles I drove in January, I hated how the FSD felt, with the steering wheel moving back and forth, the car unable to achieve a straight line. Add in the constant concern about phantom braking, and I simply said, "nope."

I'm horribly old-fashioned, 67 years old. Of course, this is one person's opinion, I respect y'all's interest in pursuing refinement of FSD. For me, if I want to be driven somewhere, I'll hire a chauffeur!

Reactions: father_of_6
Maybe I'm confused, but Autopilot is not FSD, correct? AutoPilot is really just a collection of safety features. I don't like the auto lane assist, but I do like cruise control -- it's helped me avoid more than one speeding ticket. I'm a new MY owner so help me here -- it is possible to use some of the AutoPilot features without using all of them, correct? Maybe I have my terminology confused. I did not purchase the FSD upgrade, and it holds no interest for me.

When doing 70MPH a bit more than two car spacing on the car in front is prudent. My Tesla won’t even get that close at that speed. Did the braking occur when you engaged it at that following distance?
No, it was engaged long before. I say 2 car but I don't quite remember since my wife/I were freaked out. What I do remember was I had a pickup towing a carnival type structure to my right, but it never swirl to my lane.

FSD is overrated IMO. I believe it has been in beta and level 2 since it's inception. There's too many variables on the road for it to be safe.

Everyone was talking about how FSD was going to take over 5 years ago. Now, no one is talking about it because they are realizing how difficult it is in real-life scenarios (sun, rain, snow, other users, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
Hate to say it, but it happened to me in just plain cruise control with no auto pilot. Unless I am on the road by myself, I just don't use it. On the bright side there is less of a chance of getting rear ended, family freak out, or me having a heart attack. The dark side is I have a 50K car that I need to pay for, and no way am I telling the wife I made a mistake purchasing that car.