Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot wrong lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A problem here in the UK is when passing from a single lane road, say, onto a dual carriageway. Autpilot always tries to send the car to the right hand lane when really I think it should stay left. The same thing happens on approaching traffic lights where there are two lanes. It always tries to go to the right hand lane. Is there a fix for this?

Reactions: Luvtoride
A problem here in the UK is when passing from a single lane road, say, onto a dual carriageway. Autpilot always tries to send the car to the right hand lane when really I think it should stay left. The same thing happens on approaching traffic lights where there are two lanes. It always tries to go to the right hand lane. Is there a fix for this?
I've found the simplest solution is to drive that bit myself.

...It always tries to go to the right hand lane. Is there a fix for this?
Autopilot only centers your car in a lane. If it must choose which lane, it's a matter of randomness because it's not designed to choose which lane.

FSD is designed to choose the correct lane for you on freeways. FSD beta is designed to choose the correct lane for you on freeways and city streets.

For Autopilot, you need to choose which lane for yourself.

I think it might be mapping data issue. I've had the satnav tell me to get in the left lane at a roundabout to turn right before now. Not a lot you can do other than drive yourself but I suspect it's not everywhere you go. My issue fixed itself after an update.

...My issue fixed itself after an update.
Even when the US drivers paid $15,000 for the FSD beta to choose lane correctly, there are still many complaints that the system still chooses the wrong lane.

The FSD beta Blue Path Predictor shows that it's in the LEFT turn-only lane, while the routing map shows it needs to turn RIGHT!

960x0.jpg

Photo: Forbes

Another article complains about the wrong lane in FSD beta:

If it is to be believed:

Autopilot only centers your car in a lane. If it must choose which lane, it's a matter of randomness because it's not designed to choose which lane.

FSD is designed to choose the correct lane for you on freeways. FSD beta is designed to choose the correct lane for you on freeways and city streets.

For Autopilot, you need to choose which lane for yourself.
Actually, I am wondering if this in fact a software fault. My car always chooses the right hand lane when it should choose the left hand lane. This only happens on going from a single lane to a double lane. Now this would be fine for driving on the European continent but it is the wrong choice most of the time for a country where one drives on the left. So it may be that the UK's driving on the left has been overlooked (would not be the first time). How can I contact Tesla software engineers to discuss this?

...software fault...
No doubt. It's been designed (coded) that way.
...How can I contact Tesla software engineers to discuss this?...
I guess you just go to the normal channel, and hopefully, the request will reach the correct department: Tesla phone, e-mail, chat, or of course, you can tweet Elon Musk since there's no more public relations department.

I don't think it has ever shown any repeatable in-built intelligence as to what lane it will pick even when on NoA and exiting up an off ramp. Autosteer is simply lane keep assist, no routing so it wouldn't know to take the right lane if you were going to be turning right. FSD City Streets will be the step needed for that, but its some way off in UK, but maybe we will get lucky and NoA users may see an improvement if/when single stack comes along.

At present, it seems to be simply random what lane it picks, although I suspect that it takes some cues from lane markings to at least pick one lane which does seem to be improved - it wasn't that long ago that it would pick both lanes on a 2 lane off ramp and simply weave between both lanes - and occasionally out of lane. Very much same on an on ramp where car would quite happily take you to the apex. You soon learned to disengage on exiting an off ramp and force a lane change well before the end of the on ramp unless you wanted a bit of a wild ride. So much better now, well maybe not on ramp...

Actually, I am wondering if this in fact a software fault. My car always chooses the right hand lane when it should choose the left hand lane. This only happens on going from a single lane to a double lane. Now this would be fine for driving on the European continent but it is the wrong choice most of the time for a country where one drives on the left. So it may be that the UK's driving on the left has been overlooked (would not be the first time). How can I contact Tesla software engineers to discuss this?
You won't need to contact them. They already know about these types of situations. On a somewhat related note, I think @GeorgeSymonds might have a point about a mapping issue. Over here across the pond, I have seen similar issues with being in the wrong lane. Of interest is that when I did an experiment of running Google directions on the iPhone, it was telling me to do the same lane things that the car is doing. I'm not saying that maps is the reason, yet an interesting coincidence.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
Glad I found this thread. I had a similar issue in the US in New Jersey on Interstate 80. As I approached a "split" in the highway to stay on Route 80 (two right lanes and I was in the 2nd from right lane) or veer off to Route 280 (left lanes) the car started to go left. I quickly disengaged autopilot and stayed to the right to stay on Route 80 (which was also the directions on the NAV, but I guess that didn't matter).
I think I will take Alex' advice and "drive that bit on my own" when approaching such junctions.