Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer Disengagement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past week or so I've been noticing that the disengagement force for autosteer is often not reduced when I select the turn signal. I've tried repeating the signal but it doesn't have any effect. I either have to force the wheel (with the inevitable jiggle in trajectory) or disengage AP with the stalk in order to change lanes. Anyone else experiencing this?

Is it supposed to be reduced? (I assume you’re talking about making a turn, not switching lanes on the highway?) I’ve just gotten in the habit of disengaging it completely before turns since having cruise control on frequently over accelerates for the turn anyway.

I have seen a number of lane departure changes over the last six months. What’s interesting is that none of these changes were in the notes on over-the-air updates so I can’t tell if these changes are really software changes or just what I see when driving.

Here are some of the things I see:
- when you signal to change lanes, I used to be able to change lanes smoothly. Recently I sometimes get a nudge back into the current lane as I move to the new lane with my blinker on.
- the lane departure warning beep seems to be inconsistent: with the lane change blinker off, sometimes I can cross a line without a beep and other times a get a beep even before I touch a line
- sometimes I get a nudge back into my lane, and other times I get a beep. I can’t figure out under which circumstances a beep or nudge would happen.
- the worst thing is that sometimes I don’t get either a nudge or beep. And this is on a highway at 70mph.

I am a huge fan of lane departure warning (I believe it saved my life when driving a Toyota rental car in 2020) but I think that currently the Tesla lane departure warning is not consistent.

Bad news, folks - as I feared, this is an intentional change introduced in the last software update. Apparently it has something to do with Autopilot safety improvements but IMO it is a significant backward step and makes Autosteer a real PITA on multi-lane roads for cars without FSD. In order to change lanes after Autosteer has been engaged, I now have to either take extra action to disengage then re-engage TACC, or force the wheel and scare my passengers with the sudden wiggle the car makes.
In its usual secretive approach, Tesla has made no effort to alert drivers to this significant change in vehicle behaviour and explain why they felt it was necessary. That's what software release notes are for, but the way Tesla uses them is a joke.
I encourage everyone to let Tesla know at [email protected] if you disapprove of this change.