Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer - Hands on the Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite having my hands on the steering wheel, I often get the "Apply light force to steering wheel" message, followed by the flashing display. Not sure what Tesla's definition of light force is. Sometimes a challenge to get the warning to disappear. Anyone have any suggestions as to where's the sweet spot that needs to be touched, squeezed, pushed?

Thanks,
Ron

I have seen it written by "AP Nag Cheaters" (a group to whom I am vehemently opposed!) that it takes about "11oz" of force to get your Tesla to recognize your 'hands on the wheel'. Note that 'squeezing' the wheel does not count as 'force'.

There will be times where you are trying to apply force in the same direction that the wheel may be turning itself, and this can make it seem as though it is difficult to override the 'nag'. But once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

I just put either hand on the wheel against the lower bottom spoke and as it steers it pushes against my hand and no nag. You really just need to provide modest resistance to the torque of the wheel turning and then no nag. Moving the scroll wheels also works.

Despite having my hands on the steering wheel, I often get the "Apply light force to steering wheel" message, followed by the flashing display. Not sure what Tesla's definition of light force is. Sometimes a challenge to get the warning to disappear. Anyone have any suggestions as to where's the sweet spot that needs to be touched, squeezed, pushed?

Thanks,
Ron

It took me a while to figure out what to do. The first time I drove my Model S, the car took my autosteer privileges away. Anyhow, now I rest my right elbow on the console pad and grip the wheel at about the 3 o'clock position and let the weight of my arm sort of tug the wheel slightly to the right. That appears to satisfy the system.