TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autosteer oopsie

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Jon From ID, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jon From ID

Jon From ID Member

I've had my M3P+ for a full 4.5 days now :). A road I take regularly is well marked with lane lines and runs past our local airport, including a left turn lane into the Airport terminal parking lot. I've carefully used Autosteer along this road several times without incident. This afternoon, my car tried to move into the left hand lane. I caught it immediately and there was no problem (except the driver behind my likely questioning my sobriety). The sun was coming from about 35 degrees above the horizon to my front left. I was intermittently seeing "left door pillar camera blocked for blinded", even after cleaning both pillar cameras. Last night my car upgraded to 2019.40.50.5.

I'm not complaining; this is just

2. postersw

postersw Member

Welcome to autopilot! It works great all the time - except when it doesn't. It works poorly at all on-ramps (predictable), when the sun is shining onto one of the cameras (kind of predictable), and at other random times (unpredictable). There's a reason that it still is in 'beta'.

3. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

I'll drink to that.

4. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Did you also get a software update? You get a car that drives different with each update

6. Jon From ID

Jon From ID Member

Yep, the update was last night, so the behavior might be related.

As I started to say in my original post, but somehow got cut off, I'm not complaining, just reporting in case it's of some benefit to someone. I love the car.

7. Skotty

Skotty 2014 S P85 | 2020 3 P19"

Sometimes it wigs out if it loses sight of the lines. This can happen due to sun screwing with a camera (often coinciding with the camera blocked/blinded message), when going through intersections with no other cars around (seems to handle it okay if following another car I think), or if the lines are just bad or missing. This is all fairly expected to me in the sense that it doesn't know which way to go; however, what is unexpected is sometimes when this happens it wants to suddenly dart right or left, which is disturbing. As always, be ready to take over at all times, especially is experimenting in situations that it is not really designed for yet (like going through intersections).

8. diezel_dave

diezel_dave Member

I really wish it wouldn't start darting left and right frantically looking for a lane like it does. I think it should just continue going straight ahead while alerting the driver to take over.

9. ZappCatt

ZappCatt Member

I actually saw both of these behaviors on my drive today.

In one intersection, it started wandering to the right(where there was another car) as we went through the intersection

at a later intersection, which will provide trouble for any vision based auto-pilot, it kept going straight and tossed up the red alerts to take over.
    It is a relatively straight road which has a mild upward slope..UNTIL the intersection, which adds a slight right turn(10 degrees?) and a change to downhill at the back of the crosswalk on the far side of the intersection. It seemed to have totally lost all idea of what it was trying to do about 90% into the intersection. There was a car on my left going through the intersection.

• Informative x 1
  10. diezel_dave

diezel_dave Member

Its these kind of tricky intersections that I am most interested in seeing how "FSD city" handles. As a human, I have to kind of use intuition because there usually really isn't any kind of guide lines or anything to help out. I think FSD is going to have a really hard time with this, especially if there isn't a lead car for it to follow.

• Like x 1
  11. Wingsy

Wingsy Member

Hi Jon. I've experienced the same as you in several places. One in particular where it happens every time regardless of the angle of the sun. See this thread for some pictures:
    dashcam-the-missing-3-seconds.174062
    This behavior has been the same through quite a few software updates so whatever is causing it has yet to be addressed. I'm sure that one of these days it'll get some attention.