Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoWipers - Not Wiping? - or Sparatically?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe I figured out why my Auto Wiping issue exists.

It was raining last night for over an hour as I was traveling back from Mississippi to Chicago.

Auto Wipers were useless.

Then I noticed that although it was raining hard...there was very little rain on the top of the glass. It was being blown off by the wind. The glass appeared to be almost dry.
The middle of the windshield was full of rain/water. ( no wind blowing the rain off...for some reason ).

Being that the camera(s) that detect rain is at the top of the windshield - I wondered if it saw any of the rain. THEN I slowed down to where the wind didn't blow the rain off....and the wipers started working on the "Auto" setting.

Hmmmm. I don't think a software update can fix that.

What do you guys think?

• Informative
Reactions: BobAbooey
The camera-based water detection does not work well at night (at least in its current iteration). Tesla hasn't detailed how it works, but the reduced effectiveness at night indicates to me that it's looking for highlights from bright light sources (the sun) that would show up in the water drops over the camera. Without a bright light, what it's looking for isn't there, and so long as Autopilot thinks it can still clearly make out the road markings and obstacles, it won't force the wipers to go.

Should be fixable via software, but that may take some time.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Just about when I get ready to put mine in Manual they wipe. Just a second slower than I would do.

So I just leave it in Auto. If I need a quick wipe I just push the button on the end of the signal stalk.

My guess is they should get it right on the next update.

It seems like when you do a manual wipe it doesn't count towards it's algorithm. Meaning, it thinks the window cleared itself. I find myself having to let it get so bad that I can barely see, then it finally engages. If the rain stays constant, it tends to stay running at a reasonable rate.
I'd really like it if it learned the rate that I wanted it to run at based on when I manually override it. I hope Tesla is keeping those statistics, because every time someone engages manually (more than using the washer), it should be recorded as a failure.

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeR2k
The rain here in Hawaii changes very rapidly from heavy to light to none at all. The autowiper is almost always late and the button turns on the wash feature, draining the fluid tank needlessly. Why not program that button to wipe once (without fluid) and wash if held down for 2 seconds?

The rain here in Hawaii changes very rapidly from heavy to light to none at all. The autowiper is almost always late and the button turns on the wash feature, draining the fluid tank needlessly. Why not program that button to wipe once (without fluid) and wash if held down for 2 seconds?
If you push it half way down, it should just wipe. If you push it all the way, it'll spray and wipe.

Useless they are in auto mode.

I was able to reduce the chatter after years of annoyance by replacing the wiper fluid with a mix of distilled water and some sort of green concentrate recommended here and found at Amazon. So at least there’s that.