Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aux input into Model 3 (or: FM modulation questions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh, I get it. I really wish it had been an option or would be made an add-on option to get a hardware radio, but the addition of it is unlikely, and the best fidelity would be an app in the car streaming

true story. the FM quality is pretty good though, now that i disconnected the antenna altogether lol...it was good enough with the antenna connected to the other side of the FM direct, but once i said screw it and completely disconnected it? it's just about perfect. i mean, it's noticeably not as good as the streaming quality...but unless i switch back and forth my ears really can't tell the difference.

true story. the FM quality is pretty good though, now that i disconnected the antenna altogether lol...it was good enough with the antenna connected to the other side of the FM direct, but once i said screw it and completely disconnected it? it's just about perfect. i mean, it's noticeably not as good as the streaming quality...but unless i switch back and forth my ears really can't tell the difference.

Maybe I missed it in this thread or another thread, do you have some info on hardwiring the FM Direct?

Maybe I missed it in this thread or another thread, do you have some info on hardwiring the FM Direct?

SiriusXM Satellite Radio: Installation in a Tesla Model 3

i still need to take new pics of the antenna completely disconnected, as i don't have any pictures in there of the antenna amp. all of those pictures (and instructions) are from before i disconnected the antenna completely, but it still works. the part about disconnecting the antenna completely is in an update at the bottom.

the sound quality is fine, just won't be as clear as it is with the antenna completely disconnected. as i said in the post, there were only a few areas where the FM signal could override the XM direct, for the most part the sound was static free...but even in areas where that wasn't an issue there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality with the car's FM antenna completely out of the picture.

of course, doing any of this does severely degrade your FM reception even when you turn the satellite unit off. keep that in mind if you decide to go this route...for me, it wasn't an issue because i almost never listen to FM (and if for whatever reason i want to i can just stream it). my main reason for doing this is to make sure i always have a live option on road trips (or around the house, since there are canyons in so cal where is spotty) even when i don't have cell reception to stream anything.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mixdup