Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aux input into Model 3 (or: FM modulation questions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't support the high-quality audio modes over Bluetooth (like aptX or LDAC) except for the Apple one (AAC). (Oy.) So you're better off with the FM transmitter, since FM actually has better bandwidth than SBC. "Scratchy headset" quality Bluetooth through SBC is pretty bad, though if you're playing highly compressed MP3s you won't notice.

Tesla doesn't support the high-quality audio modes over Bluetooth (like aptX or LDAC) except for the Apple one (AAC). (Oy.) So you're better off with the FM transmitter, since FM actually has better bandwidth than SBC. "Scratchy headset" quality Bluetooth through SBC is pretty bad, though if you're playing highly compressed MP3s you won't notice.

the problem with that is that if you're in a congested FM area, you're screwed (since there's no antenna adapter yet available that can cut the FM signal and replace it with the sirius feed, which is basically what the FM direct adapter does).

the problem with that is that if you're in a congested FM area, you're screwed (since there's no antenna adapter yet available that can cut the FM signal and replace it with the sirius feed, which is basically what the FM direct adapter does).

I've since gotten my radio in and installed it, and this is a definite problem for me in Atlanta. There are basically no free frequencies, it's basically find the weakest one on the dial and use it

Unfortunately, the built in modulator in the SXM radio is at the front of the car and the FM antenna and tuner are in the back, so I do have noticeable static. I'm on the hunt for an FM Modulator now that I can get back near the antenna (or that has an external antenna) to get a stronger signal into the Tesla

I've since gotten my radio in and installed it, and this is a definite problem for me in Atlanta. There are basically no free frequencies, it's basically find the weakest one on the dial and use it

Unfortunately, the built in modulator in the SXM radio is at the front of the car and the FM antenna and tuner are in the back, so I do have noticeable static. I'm on the hunt for an FM Modulator now that I can get back near the antenna (or that has an external antenna) to get a stronger signal into the Tesla

let me know what you find, i've been on the same hunt for months. i've been able to find a good frequency for when we go to san diego, but in LA/OC it's pretty close to (if not completely) impossible.

i keep figuring that at some point someone will figure out a solution for an antenna adapter that will allow us to install the fm direct adapter, but for now that seems to be a dead end.

let me know what you find, i've been on the same hunt for months. i've been able to find a good frequency for when we go to san diego, but in LA/OC it's pretty close to (if not completely) impossible.

i keep figuring that at some point someone will figure out a solution for an antenna adapter that will allow us to install the fm direct adapter, but for now that seems to be a dead end.

The most correct solution is for Tesla to fix Bluetooth to allow non-phones, but that, too, seems a dead end

also, i had been in contact with metra and just heard back from the guy i've been talking with, they haven't made any progress on the antenna adapter (it has been a few months). the more of us that contact them and ask for it, the more of a chance we have of getting them to dedicate more resources to figuring it out...

Metra Online | Dealer Sales | Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse

i think i contacted everyone i could find there just hoping for a response. i don't want to give out the contact info for the guy i've been talking to in a public forum like this, so just try to hit everything you can find on that page.

also, i had been in contact with metra and just heard back from the guy i've been talking with, they haven't made any progress on the antenna adapter (it has been a few months). the more of us that contact them and ask for it, the more of a chance we have of getting them to dedicate more resources to figuring it out...

Metra Online | Dealer Sales | Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse

i think i contacted everyone i could find there just hoping for a response. i don't want to give out the contact info for the guy i've been talking to in a public forum like this, so just try to hit everything you can find on that page.

So I'm guessing no one has found, or it doesn't exist, the FM amplifier that is listed in the parts catalog?

So I'm guessing no one has found, or it doesn't exist, the FM amplifier that is listed in the parts catalog?

i am guessing it is in the C pillar on the drivers side, directly opposite the FM radio unit (which is in the C pillar on the passenger side). i just haven't pulled the cover off yet to check, mainly because in my area i'm fine thus far with the FM modulator as is. i only really have an issue when i go to LA, which isn't that often...even in SD i have been able to find a clear channel to use.

if someone else were to find it and verify that it works, i would gladly pull it and install the fm direct adapter myself...but for my situation at the moment i haven't been motivated to go digging around for it.

btw, i don't recall seeing you mention what radio you installed, but the xm vehicle dock does have a few options supposedly for getting the fm signal to the antenna...i just haven't seen the need for one yet.

https://www.amazon.com/SIRIUS-Satellite-Radio-EXTENDER-ANTENNA/dp/B003N3Z0TW

https://www.amazon.com/XM-Sureconnect-FM-Adapter/dp/B001EIFIUO

I've got the Onyx EZR, and I actually have the FEA25 on the way already to give it a shot

let me know if it helps. i may end up with one also if it does for the rare occasions where i go to LA.

also, curious where you mounted the radio...i have mine tucked in the front cubby (under the phone dock), but i'm open to ideas if there's a better place to put it. i like it tucked down there though because i can just close the lid and it's hidden without having to worry about removing it...

let me know if it helps. i may end up with one also if it does for the rare occasions where i go to LA.

also, curious where you mounted the radio...i have mine tucked in the front cubby (under the phone dock), but i'm open to ideas if there's a better place to put it. i like it tucked down there though because i can just close the lid and it's hidden without having to worry about removing it...

I have the Taptes center console tray Upgraded Center Console Tray for Tesla Model 3, Collects Charger Adapter (they have two, I have the one linked). I bought it before I decided to put in the sxm radio, but if you put it in with the charge adapter holder to the rear (which is really backwards) the radio can sit in there basically perfectly. I also found a USB power cable so I can power it from up there under the phone pad.

E7D9D17E-AFE5-4ABD-A564-024AE1A930D5.jpeg

F0D54D45-71DE-4308-A9BD-66C30C1B9B5C.jpeg