Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average KW/Mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their average KW/Mi stats for highway driving. Obviously, I know that outside temperature and A/C usage is a big factor, however, it seems like I average pretty high numbers 310-320 kw/mi traveling at 70 mph. I’m definitely a “grandpa” driver most of the time…so I don’t tend to kick it in the ass very often.

Also, how much (on average) does outside temp and AC/Heat use from a consumption standpoint?

I have the original tires that come stock on the long range model. My PSI usually runs around 41-42.
When planning a hypothetical trip from Champaign, IL to Effingham, IL using A Better Route Planner the estimated Wh/mi was 309 Wh/mi. It took a 12 MPH head wind to get this Wh/mile number. Without any head wind the estimate is 296 Wh/mi.

Assumptions:

Long Range AWD Tesla Model Y - ABRP estimate of 298 Wh/mi at 65 MPH
Maximum speed: 70 MPH
Temperature: 90F
Head wind: 12 MPH

Last edited:
So is there anything that can be investigated if you believe your range isn’t stacking up? I guess I’m just not sure what could be causing the issue.
Does your Model Y have the 19" wheels or the 20" wheels? According to this chart it can make a difference, perhaps 6% lower efficiency at 70 MPH with the larger 20" wheels.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Adjusting your tire pressure to 44/45 PSI would make a small improvement.

If you are willing to slow down to 65 MPH this would definitely improve your Model Y's highway efficiency.

Did you worry about every mile when you drove a gas car? Me neither. I just get in and drive. But unlike with a gas car, I fill up at night in my garage, so I'm always ready to head out in the AM. Sure, there aren't as many "service stations" for Teslas, but with home charging and decent range on these cars, plus superchargers every couple hundred miles most places, there's no need to fret over how to get there. Plus, the car tells you where the superchargers are.

I've never worried about range loss or driving speeds with all these charging places everywhere. Of course, East coast is probably way different.

Reactions: Sabercoug and mrwug
How is the terrain where you are driving? I live on the top of a hill, and there is another hill on my 30 mile commute to work. If I look at the short term average, its usually > 400 wh/mile, but if I look at the longer term ones, it's closer to 270-280 wh/mile. Even my gas cars were like that... If I looked at my instantaneous average, it would say > 40mpg most of the commute.. But as soon as I get to the hill, it would drop to < 10. So after a while, the average would settle to around 26... On my Y, after a while the 400 average would drop to around 280 or so. On one of the trip counters, which I havent' reset in a while, that one is sitting at 305-310 wh/mile, which includes several road trips, where I was driving 75-80 most of the time.

Hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their average KW/Mi stats for highway driving. Obviously, I know that outside temperature and A/C usage is a big factor, however, it seems like I average pretty high numbers 310-320 kw/mi traveling at 70 mph. I’m definitely a “grandpa” driver most of the time…so I don’t tend to kick it in the ass very often.

Also, how much (on average) does outside temp and AC/Heat use from a consumption standpoint?
330 but in AZ the speed limit is 75MPH and I set FSD at 80MPH.

Reactions: Chemios
I've never worried about range loss or driving speeds with all these charging places everywhere.
That's true for daily driving/commuting, but range variability does make a difference for longer road trips, to visit family or go to a cottage, for instance.
pretty high numbers 310-320 kw/mi
I think you've got the units confused......do you mean 310 Watts (not kW) per mile? With mileage like that, 0.310 kW per mile would mean 241 miles per full battery (assuming the battery capacity at 75 kW).

I just returned from a 225 mile trip home from my cottage - most of it on a highway, but definitely not flat. Going about 72mph on 19" wheels, with my cabin temp at 70.5F and external temps at about 77F, I was getting about 250 miles per full battery. That is about 300 Watts per mile. If I take the more scenic route (less highway, slower speed, shorter distance), I get about 250 Watts per mile.

That's true for daily driving/commuting, but range variability does make a difference for longer road trips, to visit family or go to a cottage, for instance.

I think you've got the units confused......do you mean 310 Watts (not kW) per mile? With mileage like that, 0.310 kW per mile would mean 241 miles per full battery (assuming the battery capacity at 75 kW).

I just returned from a 225 mile trip home from my cottage - most of it on a highway, but definitely not flat. Going about 72mph on 19" wheels, with my cabin temp at 70.5F and external temps at about 77F, I was getting about 250 miles per full battery. That is about 300 Watts per mile. If I take the more scenic route (less highway, slower speed, shorter distance), I get about 250 Watts per mile.
330 W/M

Are you talking about watt-hours per mile (Wh/mile)?

"kw/mi" makes no sense.

Many (most?) other non-Tesla vehicles in the US miles per kWh instead...

Huh?

You also have your units wrong. Battery capacity is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh). "Watts per mile" makes no sense.

If you use 10 kW * 1 hour, you used 10 kWh. 10 kW * 2 hours --> 20 kWh.

If you have a 1000 watt device * 1 hour, you use 1000 watt-hours or 1 kWh. 1 watt device * 1000 hours --> 1000 watt-hours --> 1 kWh. Multiply the units and values.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl and jcanoe
The unit of measure is the Watt-hour (Wh); it is a measure of the amount of electrical energy consumed in 1 hour. A Watt is a unit of measure of power actively being used, not energy consumed over time.

Example: A 150 Watt incandescent light bulb uses 150 Watts when it is powered on. After 1 hour the 150 Watt light bulb would have consumed 150 Watt-hours of electricity. 300Wh/mile means that the equivalent energy used to illuminate (2) 150 Watt incandescent light bulbs for 1 hour was used to drive 1 mile in the EV. By driving slower the EV might consume only 225Wh/mile.

I’m sorry for the confusion! Yes, I mean Wh/Mi. My apologies! We live in IL, so our terrain is mostly flat. It’s been relatively hot (90 degrees) and we usually keep the cabin at 72 degrees. Today, we arrived about 310-315 Wh/Mi at 70 mph.

I’m definitely not bashing the range or anything. I was honestly just concerned about letting a potential issue go simply because I wasn’t understanding the true expectations of the car.

This was on a roundtrip from the SF Bay Area to Anaheim with some local driving around there as well:
CleanShot 2021-08-08 at 22.53.34@2x.png

Most of the driving was highway at speeds of 70 or higher. This was with two people in the car and a moderate amount of luggage. About half the return trip had substantial headwind and I averaged 330 Wh/mi there reflected in the 290 Wh/mi above (the outbound leg was more like 270 Wh/mi).

All this in a 2021 MY LR AWD 20" OEM tires at 42 psi.