TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Avoid highways" mode?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by wws, Mar 4, 2019.

1. wws

wws Member

I was discussing the TM3 with someone who is interested in buying one. He asked me about an "avoid highways" mode - as he often likes to take back roads instead of Interstates. I was pretty sure one just clicked a menu option. But the Tesla nav only supports "Avoid Ferries" and "Avoid Tolls". So egg on my face...

Is there a decent way around this short of running a parallel nav app in ones cell phone or other device? Maybe running something on the built-in web browser?

2. TimberM3

TimberM3 New Member

I wish Tesla would add this option. It's the only thing I miss from using Google Maps. It would make sense for Tesla to add it because often the back roads are few miles at a slower speed, so it might take longer but would be more efficient.

3. Jaenonymous

Jaenonymous Member

I agree. Add the option. I live in Rhode Island where everything is close. Hopping on the highway isnt always the best route for us in this state as I95 from NYC to Boston is the busiest stretch of highway in the country for daily commutes. Its safer and more efficient to take local routes for us at times.

4. Michelle_eriw

Michelle_eriw Member

Most Nav systems have Fastest, Shortest, and Most Economical routing options. Does Tesla Nav have the same?

5. wws

wws Member

Sadly, no. It is basically "Fastest path with Supercharger coverage". It does recalculate things on the fly if you veer off course. On longer drives, I typically run waze on my phone. Always interesting to compare the two.

As a followup to my original post, he did end up buying a Model 3 (LR AWD) and is very happy with it!

6. Michelle_eriw

Michelle_eriw Member

And because Tesla does not support CarPlay, I can't display Apple Maps or Waze on the Tesla's LCD, right?

7. wws

wws Member

You can bring teslawaze (Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information) up on the browser. It is somewhat functional, but not as well integrated as the built-in nav.

For Apple maps, you need to use your phone app. With the phone mounted in the dock, it is fairly easy to glance down at it. Phone integrates with the car via bluetooth. So you can get turn-by-turn audio from the phone as well as the built-in nav. Again, not as integrated or as pretty as the built-in nav.

I've used CarPlay in our Volt and other GM cars. I don't miss not having it in the Tesla.

8. madmat

madmat New Member

>"Avoid highways" mode
    +1 from me.
    For the first time in the history of automobility the option for "the shortest route" would actually make sense with EVs.

Avoiding Autobahn/Highways being a big part of it.

Especially in Germany navigation systems tend to love the Autobahn, because simple metrics tell them "avg speed unlimited" - which makes up for a ton of extra miles/kilometres.
    So they rather send you a route 100km longer for a theoretical gain of 5 minutes travel time.
    Tesla onboard navigation being no exception.

• Informative x 1
  9. marknei

marknei Member

Before our "friend" COVID-19 became well known, I plotted out a route from home on the east coast to (I'm leaving out the names of most national parks that were on the route)Seattle, then San Francisco, then Grand Canyon, Albuquerque, Dallas and back to NJ. What I found was the vast majority of the superchargers are on an Interstate or in a service area next to an Interstate highway. It does skew trip planning toward Interstate highways, but you don't have to. You can use slow destination chargers--with the proper adapter.

10. Kamban

Kamban Member

My spouse does not drive on highways. So "avoid highways" will be a good option even for local driving, since the Google maps uses the local freeways even for commuting withing the city and suburbs.

11. asa8080

asa8080 Member

Maybe stupid question...but can you open Google maps in browser on big screen and use it as a navigation?

do not have car yet to check myself :)

12. Jaenonymous

Jaenonymous Member

The browser would work, Id assume, but it would lose connection quite a bit.