Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awaiting Delivery - Accessories and Prep (Am I missing something?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been lurking the community for quite some time but decided now that my MY5 is ordered to join. I'm exicted as it's my first EV and my post-deployment gift to myself which should be ready when I get back.

2021 Model Y - 5 Seat - Blue w/Black Interior & Induction Wheels... expected delivery June 21

I like to make my cars "mine", so I load them up with accessories. Wondering if anyone had opinions, alternate recommendations, or additions for my list. Most of these picks were based on recommendations I've read on here:
  • Front/Rear floor mats (3D Maxspiders)
  • Trunk mats (Tesmanian)
  • Sun shades (live in Texas - Tesla Rear & Tesmanian Roof)
  • TeslaCam / SentryMode storage (SanDisk microSD w/Adapter)
  • Mud Flaps (undecided between Tesla, BASENOR, or Motorbe styles)
  • Center Console Organizer (XTAUTO - Amazon)
  • Tire Kit (Victor Plug & Go kit, Slime Plug kit, Auto Tire Inflator)
  • Anti-Glare screen protector (Spigen)
  • Cup Holder Insert (Motrobe)
  • Seat Protection for dogs/kids (Viewpets Bench Cover & Munchkin Brica kick mats)
  • NEMA 14-30 Extension Cord
  • Tesla NEMA Adaptors (14-30, 14-50, & 5-20)
  • Charging Cable Organizer (BMZX)
  • Front License Plate Holder (Quick Bandit, 1975Creations)
  • PPF (Tesla Rear Door Panel Kit)
Also considering the following, but still on the fence. May grab them later:
  • BASENOR Noise Reduction Seal Kit
  • Topfit Performance Foot Pedal Pads
  • TAPTES Center Console Hidden Storage Box
  • RimSavers
  • Additional PPF installed by local shop
  • SUMA Performance Mirrors
  • Tesla Roof Rack Bars
For prep, I've got the app on my phone, going to read as many manuals as I can, and continue to lurk the forums.

Am I missing anything highly recommended? Is this too obsessive? Thanks for any advice or inputs!

Very comprehensive. Here are some ideas:
  • A thing you can add is a video game controller. I’ve heard Xbox buttons are more compatible than PlayStation. If you have an Xbox wired controller already, then get a USB-C to USB-A adapter for like $7. If you have or want wireless, then you need to get a dongle (8bitdo).
  • You could purchase Homelink if you have a garage door.
  • A frunk cooler for keeping food and drinks?
  • Is the TeslaCam worth it? Now that the MY comes with the Tesla branded USB drive designed for high read/write cycles. I haven’t heard anyone saying that the included USB stick doesn’t work well and the storage should be enough. I plan to use it and see if I need to spend the extra on something better at a later time.
  • For the screen protector you have 2 options. I’m going to go with a matte finish instead of clear.
  • I already bought the Tesla OEM mud flaps. I don’t want to have to drill any holes and I’m sure they’ll do the job. I’m not going to get rear flaps.
  • There is also an RPM Tesla retractable cargo cover that looks pretty good and no need to drill holes.
  • I’m going to get Tesla “T” puddle lights for the front doors and possibly Model “Y” puddle lights for the rear doors.
  • Black silicone EZ-Pass cover.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of ads for video game controllers, is this something people use often? I'll have to consider that but wasn't expecting to do much gaming on it.

I heard a lot of complaints about the USB stick so I decided to go with something durable. For $50 I have a 256GB SD card with adapter and better peace of mind.

I went with matte for screen protector as well.

Still trying to decide between Tesla (currently sold out) mud flaps or BASENOR. I'll make up my mind before I pick up delivery.

Will have to see if the Homelink works with my older garage, thanks for pointing that out.

I was checking out some LED "upgrade" kits, but not sure if that is actually needed.

Thanks for the reply.

I've seen a lot of ads for video game controllers, is this something people use often? I'll have to consider that but wasn't expecting to do much gaming on it.

I heard a lot of complaints about the USB stick so I decided to go with something durable. For $50 I have a 256GB SD card with adapter and better peace of mind.

I went with matte for screen protector as well.

Still trying to decide between Tesla (currently sold out) mud flaps or BASENOR. I'll make up my mind before I pick up delivery.

Will have to see if the Homelink works with my older garage, thanks for pointing that out.

I was checking out some LED "upgrade" kits, but not sure if that is actually needed.

Thanks for the reply.
One last thing, I’ve made a wish list of sorts on Amazon to gather my ideas. I have some car cleaning supplies on it too. Feel free to check it out.

You will need a home charger. That is extremely helpful to have. A NEMA 14-30 is almost always fast enough. I use the mobile charge cable in the garage and bought a second mobile charger kit for keeping in the car. Occasionally that’s useful. Yeah, two NEMA 14-30 Tesla adapters, one for the garage, one for the car. And a NEMA 14-50 adapter and the NEMA 5-20 that came with the Tesla all kept in the car.

I’ve never used the 14-50, but it is comforting.. the j1772 adapter that comes with the car is often used. I put white duct tape on it to ”see” it and remember to remove it from public chargers.

PPF for the door jams to prevent scratches from shoes...

I would suggest getting a lift pad (at least one good quality lift pad, i.e. the Reverse Logic Lift Pad for Tesla) or a set of 4 from one of the Amazon sellers. You only need one lift pad when using a floor jack to change a tire or to rotate the tires from front to back. If you plan to rotate the tires yourself you will need a low profile floor jack (rated for at least 2 tons.) 21mm 1/2 inch socket, 1/2 inch socket wrench/breaker bar; 1/2" torque wrench (Tesla's spec for tightening lug nuts is 129 ft lb.)

Have you figured out how you will wash the Tesla?

A) Touch less car wash
B) Wash at home with a hose (optionally using a pressure washer and a soap cannon)
2 wash buckets, a good grit guard for each bucket is recommended
Cross cut sponges
Small micro fiber towels for washing
Large micro fiber towels for drying
Optimum No Rinse, Wash and Shine, for in between full washes.

Reactions: coleman567 and Thp3
I've been lurking the community for quite some time but decided now that my MY5 is ordered to join. I'm exicted as it's my first EV and my post-deployment gift to myself which should be ready when I get back.

2021 Model Y - 5 Seat - Blue w/Black Interior & Induction Wheels... expected delivery June 21

I like to make my cars "mine", so I load them up with accessories. Wondering if anyone had opinions, alternate recommendations, or additions for my list. Most of these picks were based on recommendations I've read on here:
  • Front/Rear floor mats (3D Maxspiders)
  • Trunk mats (Tesmanian)
  • Sun shades (live in Texas - Tesla Rear & Tesmanian Roof)
  • TeslaCam / SentryMode storage (SanDisk microSD w/Adapter)
  • Mud Flaps (undecided between Tesla, BASENOR, or Motorbe styles)
  • Center Console Organizer (XTAUTO - Amazon)
  • Tire Kit (Victor Plug & Go kit, Slime Plug kit, Auto Tire Inflator)
  • Anti-Glare screen protector (Spigen)
  • Cup Holder Insert (Motrobe)
  • Seat Protection for dogs/kids (Viewpets Bench Cover & Munchkin Brica kick mats)
  • NEMA 14-30 Extension Cord
  • Tesla NEMA Adaptors (14-30, 14-50, & 5-20)
  • Charging Cable Organizer (BMZX)
  • Front License Plate Holder (Quick Bandit, 1975Creations)
  • PPF (Tesla Rear Door Panel Kit)
Also considering the following, but still on the fence. May grab them later:
  • BASENOR Noise Reduction Seal Kit
  • Topfit Performance Foot Pedal Pads
  • TAPTES Center Console Hidden Storage Box
  • RimSavers
  • Additional PPF installed by local shop
  • SUMA Performance Mirrors
  • Tesla Roof Rack Bars
For prep, I've got the app on my phone, going to read as many manuals as I can, and continue to lurk the forums.

Am I missing anything highly recommended? Is this too obsessive? Thanks for any advice or inputs!
My car delivery was 2 weeks ago and these are the items I ended up getting prior to delivery.

-Spiegen Matte Screen protector
-Basenor Mud flaps. Quality was decent, only the passenger side rear didnt clip on as easily as the 3 others. I didnt really try too much either to try to get the clip in either.
- The hidden compartment for the armrest
-Temai Phone Holder

Next for me are floor matts. Im going to go with tesmanian all around. 3D Maxspider were my other option but it doesnt fill the entire interior especially the driver seat. I know they are highly spoke of but for money Im going with Tesmanian

Dog back seat cover from Tesmanian

Cermaic tints all around. Most likely 3M Crystaline or Xpel XR Plus

Eventually new wheels. I love my 21 inch uberturbines but eventually going to go with a 20 or 19 inch lighter wheel for weight and better battery efficiency

My car delivery was 2 weeks ago and these are the items I ended up getting prior to delivery.

-Spiegen Matte Screen protector
-Basenor Mud flaps. Quality was decent, only the passenger side rear didnt clip on as easily as the 3 others. I didnt really try too much either to try to get the clip in either.
- The hidden compartment for the armrest
-Temai Phone Holder

Next for me are floor matts. Im going to go with tesmanian all around. 3D Maxspider were my other option but it doesnt fill the entire interior especially the driver seat. I know they are highly spoke of but for money Im going with Tesmanian

Dog back seat cover from Tesmanian

Cermaic tints all around. Most likely 3M Crystaline or Xpel XR Plus

Eventually new wheels. I love my 21 inch uberturbines but eventually going to go with a 20 or 19 inch lighter wheel for weight and better battery efficiency
Oh and most likely a flat tire repair kit from RPM or a physical spare from Modern Spare. I'm not use to waiting for services like AAA or Tesla Roadside and not too patient if I can do something about it myself to get going again.

I haven't thought about the washing part yet, I guess that is something to add to my prep list. I'm ordering the adaptors since I will either be chargine from a 5-20 port in my garage or 14-30 dryer socket if I really need extra miles and don't have time to wait. Is a second mobile charger really worth it?

Need to look into phone holders as well, but the ones I've seen so far haven't looked too appealing. Hoping additional styles and types come out with time.

I've ordered most of the stuff already, but still undecided on mud flaps. Leaning heavily towards BASENOR - thanks for that feedback.

Still also undecided on PPF - whether to just go for Tesla's option or get a full/additional wrap locally. thanks for advice!

I must admit you are fairly well covered with what you have planned.

You may want to enhance the puddle door lights and the front interior puddle lights. I got mine from Abstract Ocean and they made a big difference.
Note: I covered the bright screen for better picture quality. I took this picture as a comparison. Noticeable brighter.
The new light is on the passenger side, while the OEM is still on the driver side.
Lights_inside.jpg

You may also noticed that I wrapped the center console because the piano black attracted too may finger prints.

If you are waiting in your car for someone who went shopping or a mass vaccination event or something else, using the entertainment option is a nice feature.
I also got the wireless bluetooth controller adapter and a wireless x-box controller for playing the games. Some games (Beach Buggy, Cat's Quest, and others) play great with the controller. I have enjoyed them while waiting.

I am also using Turtle Wax Graphene Flex Wax. Easy to apply and seems to work and lasts for a while.
Good luck and enjoy.

You may want to enhance the puddle door lights and the front interior puddle lights. I got mine from Abstract Ocean and they made a big difference.
Note: I covered the bright screen for better picture quality. I took this picture as a comparison. Noticeable brighter.

I've been on the fence with the LED lights. Thanks for the picture - leaning towards grabbing some now.

I haven't thought about the washing part yet, I guess that is something to add to my prep list. I'm ordering the adaptors since I will either be chargine from a 5-20 port in my garage or 14-30 dryer socket if I really need extra miles and don't have time to wait. Is a second mobile charger really worth it?

Need to look into phone holders as well, but the ones I've seen so far haven't looked too appealing. Hoping additional styles and types come out with time.

I've ordered most of the stuff already, but still undecided on mud flaps. Leaning heavily towards BASENOR - thanks for that feedback.

Still also undecided on PPF - whether to just go for Tesla's option or get a full/additional wrap locally. thanks for advice!
Is a second mobile charger really worth it?
Unless you travel frequently to a vacation cabin or campground it is probably not worth purchasing a second Mobile Connector. You can take the Mobile Connector on trips as required. On a receptacle such as a NEMA 14-50 or a NEMA 14-30 (commonly called a dryer plug) these receptacles are not designed for a high number of plug and unplug cycles. It would be better to install a dedicated circuit for charging the Tesla at home. (It could be any of 20A up to 60A as any of these 240V circuits would in most cases prove adequate as long as you have at least 6 hours available to charge.) I.e. if you believe that the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter would be adequate for your charging needs (adds ~3 miles of range to the battery charge per hour of charging) then the 240V/20A circuit (adding up to 14 miles of range per hour) will certainly meet your needs. The NEMA 14-50 on a 50A circuit is optimal when charging with a plug-in connection but a 20A or 30A circuit can also perform quite well for home charging.)

Unless you travel frequently to a vacation cabin or campground it is probably not worth purchasing a second Mobile Connector. You can take the Mobile Connector on trips as required. On a receptacle such as a NEMA 14-50 or a NEMA 14-30 (commonly called a dryer plug) these receptacles are not designed for a high number of plug and unplug cycles. It would be better to install a dedicated circuit for charging the Tesla at home. (It could be any of 20A up to 60A as any of these 240V circuits would in most cases prove adequate as long as you have at least 6 hours available to charge.) I.e. if you believe that the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter would be adequate for your charging needs (adds ~3 miles of range to the battery charge per hour of charging) then the 240V/20A circuit (adding up to 14 miles of range per hour) will certainly meet your needs. The NEMA 14-50 on a 50A circuit is optimal when charging with a plug-in connection but a 20A or 30A circuit can also perform quite well for home charging.)
I know 14-30 outlets are not designed the same as an everyday 5-15. However, is there any data that suggests how many unpluggings causes the outlet to lose its ability to hold on tight? I cannot believe it should be an issue to remove the mobile connector a few times a year for the occasional road trip.

This is what I plan to do since my house built in 2017 came with a 240v 30 amp wiring connection in my garage. I wish they had installed 50 amp, but not worth the extra miles/hr for me to spend on upgrading the wiring. And I don't think it is worth it to install the Tesla wall charger to only max out at 24 amps. So I am going with a 14-30 adapter on the mobile connector. Even on the high end let's say it's removed 10 times a year for 10 years; will 100 removals put it at the end of its life or ~50% to the end of its life? Just curious to know the order of magnitude (10, 100, or 1000) of removals/insertions that deteriorates a 14-30 outlet?

The $275 Tesla mobile connector is back in stock, I guess it is just an easy peace of mind to throw it in the trunk, but curious to know the data behind removing it a few times a year before spending money that might be unnecessary.

I know 14-30 outlets are not designed the same as an everyday 5-15. However, is there any data that suggests how many unpluggings causes the outlet to lose its ability to hold on tight? I cannot believe it should be an issue to remove the mobile connector a few times a year for the occasional road trip.

This is what I plan to do since my house built in 2017 came with a 240v 30 amp wiring connection in my garage. I wish they had installed 50 amp, but not worth the extra miles/hr for me to spend on upgrading the wiring. And I don't think it is worth it to install the Tesla wall charger to only max out at 24 amps. So I am going with a 14-30 adapter on the mobile connector. Even on the high end let's say it's removed 10 times a year for 10 years; will 100 removals put it at the end of its life or ~50% to the end of its life? Just curious to know the order of magnitude (10, 100, or 1000) of removals/insertions that deteriorates a 14-30 outlet?

The $275 Tesla mobile connector is back in stock, I guess it is just an easy peace of mind to throw it in the trunk, but curious to know the data behind removing it a few times a year before spending money that might be unnecessary.
That should be fine if you only remove the 14-30 plug adapter from the 14-30 receptacle perhaps a dozen times per year *. The NEMA 14-50, also 14-30 receptacle is probably good for several hundred plug and unplug operations (The NEMA 14-30 is not fragile, just not designed for a high number of plug insertions.) A standard NEMA 5-15 receptacle can also loosen, wear out too from age and use. If the NEMA 5-15 receptacle you plan to use is more than 5 years old it would be best to replace the receptacle with one that is a contractor grade or hospital grade receptacle. (These cost a bit more but are built to a higher standard.) The inexpensive power receptacles you find sold loose in the bins at the hardware store are fine for plugging in a table lamp, etc. not for charging an EV.

* Unless you know you will use the NEMA 14-30 plug adapter when you travel you can disconnect the Tesla Mobile Connector chassis from the NEMA 14-30 plug adapter and leave the 14-30 plug adapter inserted in the 14-30 receptacle as there are no exposed connectors on the plug adapter.

I agree that the Tesla Wall Connector does not provide any additional benefits in your installation. (The charging cord is still only 18 feet in length, the wiring is already installed so the fact that the Wall Connector only requires 2 wires (plus the ground wire) instead of 3 wires (plus the ground wire) is of no savings. The Wall Connector is the better choice for an outdoor installation (for any circuit amperage) since it is sealed and fully weather rated (not a benefit since your circuit terminates inside the garage.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sgalla04
X2 on the jack pucks. I got a set of 4 just in case. I also purchased the foam/inflator kit from Tesla. I'd hold off on the sound deadening kit until you drive the car a bit. I have no issues with that in my car. And you don't 'have' to have a charger (actually an EVSE). I had the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and that is plenty of juice for me (but I don't drive a hundred miles a day).

That should be fine if you only remove the 14-30 plug adapter from the 14-30 receptacle perhaps a dozen times per year *. The NEMA 14-50, also 14-30 receptacle is probably good for several hundred plug and unplug operations (The NEMA 14-30 is not fragile, just not designed for a high number of plug insertions.) A standard NEMA 5-15 receptacle can also loosen, wear out too from age and use. If the NEMA 5-15 receptacle you plan to use is more than 5 years old it would be best to replace the receptacle with one that is a contractor grade or hospital grade receptacle. (These cost a bit more but are built to a higher standard.) The inexpensive power receptacles you find sold loose in the bins at the hardware store are fine for plugging in a table lamp, etc. not for charging an EV.

* Unless you know you will use the NEMA 14-30 plug adapter when you travel you can disconnect the Tesla Mobile Connector chassis from the NEMA 14-30 plug adapter and leave the 14-30 plug adapter inserted in the 14-30 receptacle as there are no exposed connectors on the plug adapter.

I agree that the Tesla Wall Connector does not provide any additional benefits in your installation. (The charging cord is still only 18 feet in length, the wiring is already installed so the fact that the Wall Connector only requires 2 wires (plus the ground wire) instead of 3 wires (plus the ground wire) is of no savings. The Wall Connector is the better choice for an outdoor installation (for any circuit amperage) since it is sealed and fully weather rated (not a benefit since your circuit terminates inside the garage.)
I appreciate the info. And this is exactly my plan, to the keep the adapter plugged in unless I know I’m going somewhere that has a readily available 14-30 outlet.

In fact, as I’m awaiting delivery, the outlet and adapter are awaiting the mobile connector. Just a note, I do have the circuit breaker flipped off until needed on that first day of charging.

Attachments

• 9F0EF277-FD49-4E14-B22F-13B890DC4754.jpeg
    9F0EF277-FD49-4E14-B22F-13B890DC4754.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 126

I wish I could new outlets installed, but I'm currently renting and planning on moving out within a year so I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle to deal with the management company (they are terrible for nearly everything).

I was going to look into a switch box for the 14-30 socket so that I was not going through too many cycles of unplugging/plugging. I would obviously only use it when the dryer was off.

I do have a 5-20 plug available in my garage (was meant for water softner that does not exist). I think that will be my primary but will keep exploring options. Thanks.

X2 on the jack pucks. I got a set of 4 just in case. I also purchased the foam/inflator kit from Tesla. I'd hold off on the sound deadening kit until you drive the car a bit. I have no issues with that in my car. And you don't 'have' to have a charger (actually an EVSE). I had the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and that is plenty of juice for me (but I don't drive a hundred miles a day).

Already purchased the jack pucks, forgot to put them on the list. I made my own tire kit from gear I had from owning a Jeep Wrangler (lots of off-roading/recovery gear leftover).

I wish I could new outlets installed, but I'm currently renting and planning on moving out within a year so I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle to deal with the management company (they are terrible for nearly everything).

I was going to look into a switch box for the 14-30 socket so that I was not going through too many cycles of unplugging/plugging. I would obviously only use it when the dryer was off.

I do have a 5-20 plug available in my garage (was meant for water softner that does not exist). I think that will be my primary but will keep exploring options. Thanks.

Already purchased the jack pucks, forgot to put them on the list. I made my own tire kit from gear I had from owning a Jeep Wrangler (lots of off-roading/recovery gear leftover).

I do have a 5-20 plug available in my garage (was meant for water softner that does not exist). I think that will be my primary but will keep exploring options.
I would not spend any money for a switch box. Since you have an unused 5-20 receptacle that should be able to charge your Tesla Model Y at 120V/16A (2kW.) The Tesla Gen 2 NEMA Adapters table shows 4 miles per hour but it could be a little more, i.e. 5 to 6 miles per hour.) I would use the 14-30 dryer outlet as needed.