Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD and RWD Might Have Different Suspensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my AWD is smoother on the road than my RWD but it's dull and harder to steer.

Below are pictures of the passenger front shocks and they have different part numbers.

02-D is AWD
20181006_220122.jpg

03-E is RWD
20181006_220018.jpg

Thoughts? Wondering what the performance number is. This could explain why the P3D I test drove was much smoother than my RWD.

I noticed my AWD is smoother on the road than my RWD but it's dull and harder to steer.

Below are pictures of the passenger front shocks and they have different part numbers.

02-D is AWD
View attachment 341566
03-E is RWD
View attachment 341567

Thoughts? Wondering what the performance number is. This could explain why the P3D I test drove was much smoother than my RWD.
What do you mean by dull exactly?

We own the RWD (with updated suspension) and the P3D+.
I can confirm that there is a difference and I find the P3D+ to be much smoother and in the end more comfortable. Something I did not expect at all.

I have the updated RWD suspension because it was delivered in April after they have already changed it. The AWD was end of Q3 and the suspension is surprisingly smooth. There is a spot on the I-10 in LA going to Santa Monica with lots of fixed pot holes. It is jarring in the RWD but the AWD just glide through it.

I'm not sure what a Q3 RWD feels like so hope someone can post a picture of their shocks.

I don't own a Model 3 but test drove a June production LR RWD car, rented a June production LR RWD car for a day and the test drove the P3+ for about 45 mins. I noticed the ride quality of the P3+ actually seemed better than the RWD cars...very surprised. As an aside, I typically find the shocks make a MUCH bigger difference with regard to ride quality thna the profile of the various tire options.

I am probably in the minority here, but I am very happy to hear how much “better” the ride quality is on a PD+ than my LR RWD. I currently spend all of my driving time on very well maintained roads so I much prefer stiff coil springs, firm shock valve dampening, monster (super flat cornering non-geometry changing, responsive) anti-sway bars, high durometer insulator bushings and end links. I can still enjoy driving the nearly 2.5 ton SAS (yuk!) Model S “floater” for long road trips or when I need to transport my 90 year old mom around town.

Since the previous poster mentioned tire/wheel options, anyone who has any hands-on motorsports experience knows that the 20 option with < 2” compressed side wall on the 3 is akin the 21s on the S and that both are not the true high-performance wheel/tire set-up and are just actually revenue generators.

Last edited:
I’ve definitely experienced this with a Dec build LR versus a Aug build P3D+, but interesting data point that even June LR cars are more “pointy” than P3D+.

A little disappointing that Tesla decided to transition to a softer suspension just as they were adding 150hp, but thems the breaks. Hopefully an adjustable coil over will bring back some of the pointy-ness.

Odi
Can you please shed some light on the PD+ special rear link? Do you you know if it is a forward or upper link? Is it a more robust bit? Does it contain higher durometer bushings? If it is an upper, is it longer to reduce the camber so that the 20s will still provide a decent service life since the shorter less compliant sidewall can’t stray as far away from zero toe and zero camber as much as the 19s and 18s?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Odi
Can you please shed some light on the PD+ special rear link? Do you you know if it is a forward or upper link? Is it a more robust bit? Does it contain higher durometer bushings? If it is an upper, is it longer to reduce the camber so that the 20s will still provide a decent service life since the shorter less compliant sidewall can’t stray as far away from zero toe and zero camber as much as the 19s and 18s?

Thanks in advance for any info.

it's not the P3D+ specifically- it's anything with the Tesla factory 20s-

These have been sold for all M3s since months before the P3D was for sale-
Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

4 x 20X8.5J Sport wheels
4 x 235/35/20 – Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
4 x tire pressure sensors
4 x Tesla logo Sport wheel center caps
2 x rear upper fore links

I test drove a RWD and a P3D+. I bought the non-P AWD with 19’s. I remember perceiving the RWD suspension as being softer than the P3D+. I expected my AWD to be more like the RWD for ride comfort, but it seems like a pretty firm ride. My AWD seems more like the P3D+ that I drove. Each test drive was about two weeks apart and there was about another three weeks before I got my AWD.