Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the Alleghenys in central PA where we do get a lot of snow and many days where the temperature is below freezing. My last 2 cars were BMWs with X-Drive, running all-season run-flats. I never had a problem with this set up. The car always felt stable and I had a lot of confidence in it. There seem to be a lot of discussions about moving to winter tires and I'm trying to consider that separately but can someone provide their experience in comparing X-Drive with the Tesla AWD.

Im getting the LR with 19" wheels.

I had an X3 and moved to a Model 3, and now a Model Y. The model 3 was better in winter snow and ice than the X3. I expect the same from the Model Y.

BUT, it doesn't matter what vehicle you have, you can't stop as fast or as safely on all-seasons as you can on winter tires. If you live where there's winter and you value your safety and your family's safety and other drivers' safety, you will put put winter tires on the Model Y.

I had a 2019 BMW X3 with Xdrive and am also from central PA. I was happy with Xdrive in all situations, but wasn't as impressed with the stock AS runflats on there. First winter was OK, but the second started to get slick. I ended up putting the Conti DWS this spring before deciding to buy the Y.

I'm even happier with all around traction of the Y, however I've obviously not had it in winter yet. No all season will be as good as a winter tire, but for my needs the stock Goodyear's should get me through about 2 winters. I'll decide on what road to take after that.

That being said, every year better and better UHP all season tires are being updated with enhanced winter performance. The Conti DWS's are good tires, Michelin AS3+ are as well, and now they're making an AS4 which is supposed to be better yet. Which is probably what I'd go with when these stock tires wear out.